Items Similar to "Nudes Stepping Forth," Large Theatrical Sketch by Raoul Pene du Bois
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 3
"Nudes Stepping Forth," Large Theatrical Sketch by Raoul Pene du Bois
This very large and energetic sketch, depicting several nude figures stepping forward through a circular opening, was painted by Raoul Pene du Bois, probably as a preparatory piece for one the many Broadway productions he helped to create. Famed as a scenic and costume designer for Broadway beginning in the 1930s, du Bois was one of a distinguished family of artists and designers going back to his grandfather, the art critic Henri Pene du Bois. He won Tony awards for scenic design (Wonderful Town), and for costume design (No, No Nanette); among the many other shows he designed were the Ziegfeld Follies (1934), Jumbo (1935), Du Barry was a Lady (1939), and Charley's Aunt (1953). The painting is marked with du Bois' estate stamp on the reverse. Clearly a sketch that reveals the artist at work, the edges are heavily torn and ragged, though the main image is intact.
- CreatorRaoul Pene du Bois (Painter)
- DimensionsHeight: 40 in. (101.6 cm)Width: 30 in. (76.2 cm)Depth: 0.1 in. (2.54 mm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1945
- ConditionMajor tearing at edges; fold marks.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU86512102682
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$45 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 6-11 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Philadelphia, PA
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2005
1stDibs seller since 2009
267 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 4 hours
More From This Seller
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PAPowerful and eloquent, this drawing by Raoul Pene du Bois showcases his mastery of the human figure, expressed w...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco Drawings
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PAVividly painted in tones of turquoise, canary yellow and warm brown, this extraordinary depiction of a slender B...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PABrilliantly hued and striking in composition, this painting by famed Broadway designer Raoul Pene du Bois is one...Category
Vintage 1950s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- By John GarthLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis stylized and richly-colored, almost cinematic, depiction of a nude Toltec male youth by John Garth shows th...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- By Milton BondLocated in Philadelphia, PAClearly showing the influence of modern dance, William Blake and early 19th century Classicism, Art Deco styliza...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Philadelphia, PAThis extraordinary, almost surreal scene by one of America's leading muralists in the Art Deco period, Eugene Sa...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
René Gruau, Sketch Bal du Moulin Rouge
Located in Encino, CA
René Gruau Original gouache on paper depicting Watusi in Frénésie at The Bal du Moulin rouge. Non signed on the front, signed on the back and titled " Moulin rouge XVIII " circa 1...
Vintage 1970s European Paintings
Eugène Benjamin Fichel "Holding Forth," by Benjamin Eugene Fichel
By Benjamin Eugène Fichel
Located in Palm Beach, FL
Eugène Benjamin FICHEL (1826-1895) "Holding Forth," by Benjamin Eugene Fichel, French, 1826-1895 oil on panel, signed and dated 'E. Fichel. 1875' Panel size: Height 22 in. (55.8...
Antique 1870s Paintings
French Ink & Conte Nude Sketch Set in Gilt Frame
Located in Worcester, GB
French ink & conte nude sketch set in gilt frame Delicate nude. Monogrammed signature TM. Ink & gouache. Triple mounted & set behind glass in gilt frame. Frame m...
20th Century European Paintings
Large Nude Painted Bas-Relief by Eric Satchwell, 1973
Located in St Annes, Lancashire
Wonderful painting of nudes titled "Oreades". Oil paint on gesso relief. On board. Great colors and technique. Painted in an Art Deco style. It reminds me of the work of Er...
Vintage 1970s English Art Deco Paintings
$1,875 Sale Price
Large Abstract Male Nude by Shawn Savage
By Shawn Savage
Located in Pasadena, CA
Large-scale abstract male blue nude by renowned artist Shawn Savage. Acrylic on canvas. Newly framed in a matte black floating frame.
Vintage 1980s Paintings
Raoul Ubac 1954 Gouache
By Raoul Ubac
Located in Sharon, CT
Gouache on paper, signed lower right. Measures: 20" x 12.5".
Mid-20th Century Belgian Modern Paintings
Large-Scale Art Deco Nude Painting
Located in Atlanta, GA
Large-scale Art Deco nude painting, probably American, circa 1930s. We are unsure of the artist that painted this work. They came from the same estate as the Aimee Seyfort paintings ...
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Paintings
$1,250 Sale Price
By Marvin Cherney
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Framed Marvin Cherney 1925-1967 The recipient of numerous awards and honors, colleagues and critics considered Cherney a true artist; a man committed to his craft and skil...
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Drawings
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery
More Ways To Browse
Modern Abstract Scandinavian Paintings
Our Lady Of
Plate On Wall
California Artists 1960
Oil Paintings Australia
Australian Oil Painting
German Oil Signed
Chinese Ancestral Paintings
19th Century Floral Oil Painting