- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980s Curtis Jere Wall Sculpture
- CreatorCurtis Jere (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 21 in. (53.34 cm)Width: 40.5 in. (102.87 cm)Depth: 9 in. (22.86 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1987
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationNew York City, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU169427155583
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: New York City, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Maker
Though the name Curtis Jeré is familiar to many as the maker of ebullient and eccentric modern design from the 1960s and ‘70s, relatively few are aware that it is a pseudonym for the design team of Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. Together, the two created some of the most striking and vivid furnishings and decorative objects of their era, from sculptures and dynamically framed mirrors, to lighting and wall decorations.
New Yorkers Freiler and Fels had collaborated for two decades on small jewelry lines before launching a design company called Artisan House in 1964. They combined variants of their names to create an artful persona — sometimes shortened to C. Jeré; the "surname" is pronounced with a rising inflection: jhayr-EH — that stood behind large-scale decorative metalwork, marked by semi-abstract petal forms with burnt and brazed edges. Fels served as head of design, and Freiler, known for his keen handiwork, was the production chief. The pair’s eclectic metalwork has captivated decorative art collectors and interior designers ever since.
The work of Curtis Jeré displays a sense of playfulness and curiosity, while drawing on inspirations and themes that include flowers, discs, geometric forms and animal figures. Freiler and Fels had a masterful ability to work with different materials, such as patinated brass and brilliant chrome.
The price of a Curtis Jeré mirror, lamp, wall-mounted sculpture or tabletop sculpture can range from $400 to $12,000, depending on the size, the rarity of the piece, the intricacy of the metalwork and the materials used in its construction. Other factors like condition can affect the perceived value and, thus, the cost of works by Curtis Jeré.
As you will see on 1stDibs, the imaginative powers of the designers of Curtis Jeré pieces were boundless, and their creations will add a dash of verve in any room.
- By Curtis JereLocated in New York City, NYStunning large 1980's Curtis Jere attributed brass cattails sculpture on large fiberglass Art-Deco style vase, i...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- By Curtis JereLocated in New York City, NYNice set of 3 1996 stainless steel shadow boxes wall artwork, in vintage original condition with some wear and p...Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Contemporary ArtMaterials
Brass, Stainless Steel$1,500 / set
- By William FriedleLocated in New York City, NYStunning large 1963 William Friedle Brutalist wall sculpture, in vintage original condition with minor wear and ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1980s Wall-mounted Sculptures
1990s Wall-mounted Sculptures
Vintage 1980s Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
21st Century and Contemporary North American Mid-Century Modern Contempo...
Metal, Brass, Copper
Vintage 1980s Wall-mounted Sculptures
Vintage 1980s North American Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
Vintage 1970s American Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Art
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery