Henry Dunay Black Jade, Gold and Diamond Band Ring
View Similar Items
Henry Dunay Black Jade, Gold and Diamond Band Ring
- Stone Cut
- Date of Manufacturecirca 2000
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1948210277682
About the Designer
Henry Dunay is one of the finest goldsmiths and jewelry makers of the 20th century. The seasoned American designer has for decades created exquisite jewelry by hand that is characterized by bold proportions and precise craftsmanship. Dunay’s breathtaking brooches, bracelets, rings and other accessories have garnered worldwide renown and — on the secondary market — are being reappraised by collectors as icons of contemporary design.
Dunay was born Henry Loniewski in Jersey City, New Jersey, and apprenticed for a downtown New York City jeweler named Rudolph Cacioli in his early teens. He spent a little less than seven years working under Cacioli, and set off to open his own business in 1956. He took on his mother's maiden name Dunay, believing his family name would be an obstacle to his success. At first, Dunay secured work designing pieces for other jewelers, including Harry Winston, one of the first figures in the field to recognize the branding power of lending glitzy fine jewelry for red-carpet events. As his skill set broadened, Dunay began handcrafting his own designs and built a name for himself.
Dunay’s business exploded thanks to the publicity around the De Beers Diamonds International Award he won in 1967. From then on, his fame grew and demand increased for his unique adornments, which feature distinctive metal finishes as well as blue sapphires, pavé set diamonds and a range of other gems. Dunay went on to win more awards from De Beers Diamonds and a wealth of other national and international awards throughout his career.
Dunay garnered acclaim for a sophisticated engraved-surface technique he calls Sabi, which draws on the traditional Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi, and iconic figures such as Elizabeth Taylor, Nancy Reagan and Princess Diana all wore his elegant pieces for public appearances. At the 2003 Academy Awards, many celebrities donned Dunay’s Dove of Peace pin, commissioned by Global Vision for Peace and inspired by the work of Pablo Picasso. The designer is a member of the Gemological Institute of America and a past president of the American Jewelry Design Council. In 2009, he sold his company and later established H.D.D., Inc.
Find vintage Henry Dunay necklaces, earrings and other jewelry on 1stDibs.
- Henry Dunay Gold RingBy Henry DunayLocated in New York, NYHenry Dunay 18 karat yellow gold ring. Serial no. B1125. Marked: Dunay / 18K / 750 / B1125. Total weight: 24.6 grams. Size 6. Thickest band width: 1.8 cm.Category
Vintage 1980s Band RingsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,500Free Shipping
- Henry Dunay Wide 18K Yellow Gold Band Ring, 1980'sBy Henry DunayLocated in New York, NYBeautiful estate Henry Dunay Woven 18K gold wide band ring. Fine hand craftsmanship, lovely substantial texture. This ring can be worn as a classic finger ring and as a pendant. Highly admired American jeweler- Henry Dunay pieces have attracted an impressive following - Elizabeth Taylor, Princess Diana of Wales, Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Margaret Thatcher, Drew Barrymore, Nicole Kidman. Exceptional workmanship, bold, creative designs, luxurious scale and the finest materials have made Dunay pieces highly recognizable and sought after. Henry Dunay has received over fifty awards in the course of his career including the coveted DeBeers Diamonds...Category
20th Century American More RingsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$2,250Free Shipping
- Henry Dunay Hammered Textured Geometric Band Ring in 18 Karat Yellow GoldBy Henry DunayLocated in Scottsdale, AZRing size: 7.25 Uniquely textured hammered 18 karat yellow gold band ring by American jewelry designer, Henry Dunay. The contemporary geometric design offers understated sophisticat...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Band RingsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,000Free Shipping
- Henry Dunay, Diamond & 18 Karat Gold RingBy Henry DunayLocated in Brisbane, QLDThis diamond ring was made by famed American jeweller Henry Dunay from 18 karat yellow gold. The dress ring features a quintessential Dunay chara...Category
20th Century American Modernist Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,110Free Shipping
- Henry Dunay Tourmaline Gold RingBy Henry DunayLocated in Darnestown, MDSporty tourmaline ring set in 18 karat gold by American designer, Henry Dunay. The half round cabochon stone is set in Dunay's often used hammered gold with triple banding throughout...Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Fashion RingsMaterials
Tourmaline, 18k Gold$3,400Free Shipping
- Henry Dunay Hammered Gold RingBy Henry DunayLocated in Weston, MAHenry Dunay is a jeweler who pays attention to the details. Finding the typical 18K gold alloy to be unflattering on a woman’s skin, he created his own mix using more silver and less...Category
20th Century American Cocktail RingsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold$10,000Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery