Items Similar to Mr. Garrick in the Character of Richard the 3rd - FINE IMPRESSION
- Design Credit: Samantha Todhunter Design Ltd., Photo Credit: Oliver Clarke. Dimensions: H 16.5 in. x W 20.56 in.
- Design Credit: Lucy Harris Studio, Photo Credit: Francesco Bertocci. Dimensions: H 16.5 in. x W 20.56 in.
- Design Credit: Timothy Godbold, Photo Credit: Karl Simone. Dimensions: H 16.5 in. x W 20.56 in.
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 9
William HogarthMr. Garrick in the Character of Richard the 3rd - FINE IMPRESSION
WILLIAM HOGRTH (1697 - 1764) MR. GARRICK IN THE CHARACTER OF RICHARD THE 3RD (Shakespear Act 5 Scene 7) (Paulson 1970.165 ii/ii; Paulson 1989.165 ii/ii;, Dobson and Armstrong p. 207) Etching and Engraving, lower left Painted by Wm Hogarth lower right Engraved by Wm. Hogarth & C. Grignion. Published according to Act of Parliament June 20, 1746. Very fine impression on laid paper - the fine lines printing well, e.g. the face and outstretched hand. Image 16 1/2 x 20 5/8 inches. Trimmed to 1/8 of the platemark and tipped to a support sheet that is 18 x 22 3/8 inches The Metropolitan Museum in NY provides this summary of the print "Hogarth represents his close friend, the actor David Garrick, as Richard III waking from a vision of the ghosts of those he murdered to attain the throne. The scene occurs in act 5, scene 7 of Shakespeare's play, just before the Battle of Bosworth Field where Richard is defeated and the Tudors attain the throne. Based on a 1745 painting at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, the print conveys Garrick's dynamic ability to bring Shakespeare to life for his contemporaries"
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Santa Monica, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Santa Monica, CA
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1977
1stDibs seller since 2016
219 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
International Fine Print Dealers Association
More From This SellerView All
- HERCULES FIGHTS ADRAGON center, ACHELOUS CARRYING OFF DEIANEIRA leftBy Giulio BonasoneLocated in Santa Monica, CAGIULIO BONASONE (Italian 1500/10-1574) HERCULES FiGHTS ADRAGON center, ACHELOUS CARRYING OFF DEIANEIRA left 1531–76 (Bartsch XV.157.178; Massari 1983, no.230) Engraving. Letter...Category
16th Century Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- A Panel of Ornament, Putti Standing on Cornucopia in Lower SectionLocated in Santa Monica, CAMASTER OF THE DIE (Fl. 1530-6) A PANEL OF ORNAMENT - Putti Standing on Cornucopia in Lower Section after Perino Buonaccorsi (Italian Florence 1501-1547) (Bartch XV.232.84) Publi...Category
16th Century Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- (PHILOSOPHER READING)By Ferdinand BolLocated in Santa Monica, CACircle of or a follower of Ferdinand Bol - (1616-1680) (PHILOSOPHER READING) ca 1700 Etching on thin laid paper attached to support sheet at the top sheet edge verso. Very good imp...Category
18th Century Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- The Actor - Le Captain Ou L'Amoureux - The Captain of the LoverBy Jacques CallotLocated in Santa Monica, CAJACQUES CALLOT (French 1592 - 1635) LE CAPTAIN OU L'AMOUREUX from LES TROIS PANTALONS pieces appelees Trois Acteurs (The Three Pants also called the Three Actors) , 1618-20 (Lieur...Category
17th Century Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- COWPOX TRAGEDY – SCENE THE LASTBy George CruikshankLocated in Santa Monica, CAGEORGE CRUIKSHANK (1792 - 1878) COWPOX TRAGEDY – SCENE THE LAST, 1812 (DG. 732) Etching with original color Trimmed within the platemark with border preset. Sheet 9 ¾ x 14”. Pub....Category
Early 1800s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- OBSEQUIO á el MAESTRO (‘A gift for the master’)By Francisco GoyaLocated in Santa Monica, CAFRANCISCO de GOYA y LUCIENTES (1746 -1828) OBSEQUIO á el MAESTRO (‘A gift for the master’) Plate 47 from the 1st edition of Los Caprichos (Blas, Matilla & Medrano 1999, no. 47; H...Category
1790s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
You May Also Like
- "Principal Inhabitants of the Moon": A Framed 18th Century Satire by HogarthBy William HogarthLocated in Alamo, CAThis is a framed original satirical etching/engraving by William Hogarth, entitled "Some Principal Inhabitants of ye Moon: Royalty, Episcopacy and Law", originally published in Londo...Category
Mid-18th Century Old Masters Interior PrintsMaterials
- "A Harlot's Progress" Plate 3 EtchingBy William HogarthLocated in Houston, TXEtching from the series titled "A Harlots Progress" by William Hogarth. The series consists of six paintings and engravings. The story is about a woman named M. Hackabout who arrived...Category
1730s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- The Industrious Prentice - Original Etching by William Hogarth - 1747By William HogarthLocated in Roma, ITThe Industrious Prentice - Lord Mayor of London is an original etching print realized by William Hogarth in 1747 Signature on the plate on the lower right, with the description on t...Category
1740s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- An Election Entertainment - Original Etching by William Hogarth - 1755By William HogarthLocated in Roma, ITAn Election Entertainment is an original etching realized by William Hogarth in 1755. The etching was engraved also by Francois Morellon de la Cave. Original title: An Election Ente...Category
1750s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Royal Sports PIT TICKET - 18thC Entry Ticket to Cock Fight in Georgian EnglandBy William HogarthLocated in Meinisberg, CHAfter William Hogarth (British, 1697–1764) Royal Sports PIT TICKET • Engraving by William Dent (British), active from 1783 to 1793 • Inscribed bottom right: Dent sculp • Plate ca. ...Category
Late 18th Century Naturalistic Animal PrintsMaterials
Paper, Ink, Engraving
- Arms of the Duchess of KendalBy William HogarthLocated in New York, NYEarly-19th-century hand-colored engraving of the Arms of the Duchess of Kendal, who was a long-time mistress to King George I of Great Britain. Legend has it that after George's deat...Category
Early 1800s Romantic Figurative PrintsMaterials