ASCENDING AND DECENDING
View Similar Items
M.C. EscherASCENDING AND DECENDING
- Creator:M.C. Escher (1898 - 1972, Dutch)
- Creation Year:1960
- Dimensions:Height: 18.75 in (47.63 cm)Width: 15.5 in (39.37 cm)
- Movement & Style:
- Condition:Slight remnants of mat burn in the wide (full?) margins.
- Gallery Location:Santa Monica, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU41131766933
About the Artist
Nothing is quite what it seems in the universe of Maurits Cornelis Escher (widely known as M.C. Escher). The Dutch artist, famed for his graphic prints featuring infinite staircases, twisted perspectives and self-replicating animals, was a master of illusion in more ways than one.
Escher's pictures aren’t simply puzzles designed to play tricks on the brain; they were born of a desire to stretch our powers of perception, to encourage us to cultivate a natural curiosity and playfulness about the world around us. According to New York gallerist Skot Foreman, the artist had a rare gift. “He combined the structure and analytics of the left brain with the artistic creativity of the right brain,” Foreman explains. “Somehow, he turned images into mind-bending universes that were able to stretch the boundaries of our imagination, urging us to rethink the realms of possibility within nature’s laws of order.”
But creating illusionistic illustrations was not Escher’s only talent. He was also a passionate diarist, recording his thoughts and frustrations in written form throughout his life. He often lamented that his pictures could never fully convey his cerebral imaginings. At the same time, he expressed impatience with those who couldn’t see beyond the surface appeal of his shape-shifting patterns. Escher was an artist who sought perfection and felt misunderstood by the mainstream art world.
“The most important thing about Escher is that he was always curious, always researching and exploring. Most people lose this quality as they get older, but Escher maintained a childlike enthusiasm for the world,” says Dutch filmmaker Robin Lutz, whose thoughtful feature-length film, M.C. Escher: Journey to Infinity, marries documentary footage with animation and unfolds at an unhurried pace, allowing Escher’s witty and intelligent prose to gently guide us through his creative evolution.
Escher always carried a magnifying glass in his pocket to “enjoy the tiniest details” at his feet, be it a plant climbing a rock, a butterfly or a grasshopper. He had a real passion for travel and spent more than a decade in Rome with his wife, Jetta, and young family. It was there that he first played with multiple perspectives, sketching the city’s architecture at night to avoid the “excessive baroque frills” he deemed too distracting in the daylight. Another big development was sparked by a 1936 visit to the Alhambra palace in Granada, Spain. Inspired by the Moorish tiles of the 14th-century landmark, Escher started to experiment with repeating patterns, or tessellations, creating his first woodcuts and lithographs of metamorphosing birds, lizards and fish interlocking and filling the entire surface of the paper in jigsaw fashion.
During and directly after World War II, Escher produced many of his most famous works, emotional reactions to a world plunged into chaos. This period marked the start of his fascination with impossible staircases, never-ending waterfalls and cyclical still lifes featuring figures and creatures seemingly caught in a loop, a paradox of entrapment and renewal.
Indeed, the concept of infinity was a major inspiration for him. It informs his fish-eye studies and curvilinear perspectives, which cram in so much dizzying detail it’s impossible to know where one thing ends and another begins. It’s no wonder, then, that Escher’s probing, mind-expanding prints have such enduring appeal.
Find original M.C. Escher art on 1stDibs.
- The Whitesmiths, Impresse des CarmelitesBy James Abbott McNeill WhistlerLocated in Santa Monica, CAJAMES ABBOTT MCNEILL WHISTLER (1834 – 1903) THE WHITESMITHS, IMPRESSE DES CARMELITES 1894 (03) Way 53, LEVY 84 Transfer lithograph signed with butterfly in stone 8 ½ x 6 1//8". ...Category
1890s Impressionist More PrintsMaterials
Lithograph$725 Sale Price51% Off
- Capture of Jefferson Davis in PetticoatsBy Currier & IvesLocated in Santa Monica, CACURRIER and IVES THE LAST DITCH OF THE CHIVALRY, OR THE PRESIDENT IN PETTICOATS, 1865 Lithograph published and copyright by Currier and Ives according to an act of Congress 1865. Very good impression on a nearly full sheet. Image and text 10 ¼ x 14 ¼ inches, Sheet 13 3/8 x 17 ¾ inches. Some remnants of water stain in the lower margins, 2 small tape stains at upper sheet edge. A couple other small stains in the large margins, all away the from image. (Conningham 3444). $1,100 One of the many depictions of the story of Jefferson Davis...Category
1860s Folk Art More PrintsMaterials
- Rare Gold Rush Caricature - Crossing Panama to CaliforniaBy Currier & IvesLocated in Santa Monica, CARARE CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH / NATHANIEL CURRIER THE WAY THEY CROSS THE ISTHMUS, 1849 (Conn. 6576, Gale 7105) Lithograph, EXTREMELY RARE Gold Rush caricature. One of a small series o...Category
1840s Folk Art More PrintsMaterials
Lithograph$2,750 Sale Price42% Off
- Columbus CircleBy Arnold RönnebeckLocated in Santa Monica, CAARNOLD RONNEBECK (1885 – 1947) COLUMBUS CIRCLE ca. 1929 Lithograph, edition probably 50. Signed and titled in pencil, 12 ½” x 8 ¼” In very good condit...Category
1920s American Modern More PrintsMaterials
LithographPrice Upon Request
- CHASSEURS TYROLIENS A L'AFFUT DU CHEVREUILBy Gustave DoréLocated in Santa Monica, CAGUSTAVE DORE (French 1832-1883) CHASSEURS TYROLIENS A L'AFFUT DU CHEVREUIL (Tyrolian Hunters at the end of the Hunt) c. 1856-7 (B...Category
1850s Romantic More PrintsMaterials
Lithograph$880 Sale Price20% Off
- De l'Origine des Espèces par Voie de Sélection Irrationelle: VisageBy Man RayLocated in New York, NYA very good impression of this color lithograph. Artist's proof, aside from the edition of 180. Signed and inscribed "EA" in pencil. Printed by Mourlot, Paris. Published by Leon Amie...Category
1970s Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
- Aliyah Orah-HorahBy Salvador DalíLocated in Hollywood, FLARTIST: Salvador Dali TITLE: Aaliyah Orah-Horah MEDIUM: Lithograph SIGNED: Hand Signed EDITION NUMBER: 232/250 MEASUREMENTS: 25" x 19.6" YEAR: 1968 FRAMED: No CONDITION: Ex...Category
1960s Surrealist More PrintsMaterials
- New Jerusalem SuiteBy Salvador DalíLocated in Hollywood, FLARTIST: Salvador Dali TITLE: New Jerusalem Suite MEDIUM: 2 Lithographs SIGNED: Both lithographs are Hand Signed EDITION NUMBER: 108/350 matched numbered MEASUREMENTS: 21" x 29"...Category
1980s Surrealist More PrintsMaterials
- Monument to PicassoBy Salvador DalíLocated in Hollywood, FLARTIST: Salvador Dali TITLE: Monument To Picasso MEDIUM: Lithograph SIGNED: Hand Signed EDITION NUMBER: P.D.'A MEASUREMENTS: 22.25" x 30" YEAR: 1973 FRAMED: No CONDITION: E...Category
1970s Surrealist More PrintsMaterials
- Magic Butterfly & The Dream SuiteBy Salvador DalíLocated in Hollywood, FLARTIST: Salvador Dali TITLE: Magic Butterfly & The Dream Suite Release of The Psychic Spirit Apparition of The Rose MEDIUM: 2 Lithographs SIGNED: Both lithographs are Hand Signed ...Category
1970s Surrealist More PrintsMaterials
- Fantastic VoyageBy Salvador DalíLocated in Hollywood, FLARTIST: Salvador Dali TITLE: Fantastic Voyage MEDIUM: Lithograph SIGNED: Hand Signed EDITION NUMBER: 139/300 MEASUREMENTS: 22" x 30" YEAR: 1965 FRAMED: No CONDITION: Excell...Category
1960s Surrealist More PrintsMaterials