Louis Vuitton x Supreme Red Acetate Downtown Sunglasses
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton Black & Orange Acetate Mirrored 1.1 Millionaire Sunglasses Size WBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLouis Vuitton Black & Orange Acetate Mirrored 1.1 Millionaire Sunglasses - Size W CONDITION NOTES The exterior in is exceptional condition with...Category
2010s Italian Sunglasses
- Christian Dior Blue Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Diorquake 75 BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChristian Dior Blue Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Diorquake 75 Belt Brand- Christian Dior Model- Diorquake Product Type- Belt Serial Number- 23******** Colour- Blue Hardware- A...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Belts
- Chanel Black & Blue Silk Vintage Flap Bag Motif ScarfBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireBRAND Chanel MODEL Scarf AGE 1990 GENDER Women's MATERIAL(S) Silk COLOUR Multicolour BRAND COLOUR Black, Blue HEIGHT 90cm WIDTH 90cm AUTHENTICITY DETAILS (Made in Italy) Product Det...Category
1990s European Scarves
- Hermès White Epsom & Brick Swift Rivale 18 beltBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès White Epsom & Brick Swift Rivale 18 belt The exterior is in very good condition with minimal signs of use. The interior is in very good condition w...Category
2010s French BeltsFree Shipping
- Chanel Black Interlaced Lambskin & Gold Vintage Chunky Coin Chain BeltBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireBRAND Chanel MODEL Chunky Coin Chain Belt GENDER Women's MATERIAL(S) Lambskin Leather, Metal COLOUR Black HARDWARE Gold HEIGHT 1.5cm WIDTH Belt Circumference Adjustable up to 80cm AUTHENTICITY DETAILS CHANEL RCategory
- Hermès HG, Rouge Vif, Marine & B Silk Bride De Gala Love 90 ScarfBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès HG, Rouge Vif, Marine & B Silk Bride De Gala Love 90 Scarf CONDITION NOTES This item is in unworn condition. XUPES REFERENCE AA0169 BRAND H...Category
2010s French Scarves
- New Balenciaga Purple Reflective Sunglasses With CaseBy BalenciagaLocated in Leesburg, VABalenciaga Sunglasses Brand New * Stunning Slightly Mirrored Lenses * Light & Dark Purple Frames * Frame Width 6.5” * Frame Height 2.25” * BB Gold Details on Temples * Made in Italy ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Sunglasses
- Steampunk glasses frame by Sting, Italy 90s, spring hingesBy Sting, De rigoLocated in Santa Clarita, CASting is an iconic, world-class singer and performer. In the 80's, his design, along with the police brand which was his as well, captured the imagination of stylistic young people. ...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Argos square vintage sunglasses, France 70sBy Argosol S.r.l. De RigoLocated in Santa Clarita, CAMAKE: Argos MODEL: Rotary MADE IN: France ERA: 1970s CONDITION: New Old Stock [never worn] DIMENSIONS: Medium Lens width: 54 mm / 2 1/8 in Lens height: 46 mm / 1 13/16 in Bridg...Category
1970s French Sunglasses
- Sting vintage sunglasses polarized, ItalyBy Sting, De rigoLocated in Santa Clarita, CASting is an iconic, world-class singer and performer. In the 80's, his design, along with the police brand which was his as well, captured the imagination of stylistic young people. ...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Country vintage sunglasses, Italy 70sBy Argosol S.r.l. De RigoLocated in Santa Clarita, CAMAKE: Country MODEL: 11-077 MADE IN: Italy ERA: 1970s CONDITION: New Old Stock [never worn] DIMENSIONS: Medium: Lens width: 48 mm / 1 7/8 in Lens height: 44 mm / 1 3/4 in Bridg...Category
1970s Italian Sunglasses
- Lozza vintage sunglasses Old ItalyBy De rigo, LozzaLocated in Santa Clarita, CALozza established in 1878, Lozza is the oldest eyewear brand in Italy, always a forerunner in its choice of styles and materials: in the '20s it launched the first sunglasses in cell...Category
1980s Italian Sunglasses
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.