Gio Ponti Coffee Table Book, 1990
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 11.25 in (28.58 cm)Width: 10 in (25.4 cm)Depth: 1.25 in (3.18 cm)
- Style:Modernist Design (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Hardbound with linen cover and high gloss paper dust jacket.
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good previously owned condition with signs of age and wear to the dust jacket especially at the top end of the back cover, see photo 2. Ink and smudge marks on the first blank page, see photo 12. Please see description for full details.
- Seller Location:Atlanta, GA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU487319800142
Ponti (1891–1979) designed thousands of furnishings and products — from cabinets, lamps and chairs to ceramics and coffeemakers — and his buildings, including the brawny Pirelli Tower (1956) in his native Milan, and the castle-like Denver Art Museum (1971), were erected in 14 countries. Through Domus, the magazine he founded in 1928, Ponti brought attention to virtually every significant movement and creator in the spheres of modern art and design.
The questing intelligence Ponti brought to Domus is reflected in his work: as protean as he was prolific, Ponti’s style can’t be pegged to a specific genre. In the 1920s, as artistic director for the Tuscan porcelain maker Richard Ginori, he fused old and new; his ceramic forms were modern, but decorated with motifs from Roman antiquity. In pre-war Italy, modernist design was encouraged, and after the conflict, Ponti — along with designers such as Carlo Mollino, Franco Albini, Marco Zanuso — found a receptive audience for their novel, idiosyncratic work. Ponti’s typical furniture forms from the period, such as the wedge-shaped Distex chair, are simple, gently angular, and colorful; equally elegant and functional. In the 1960s and ’70s, Ponti’s style evolved again as he explored biomorphic shapes, and embraced the expressive, experimental designs of Ettore Sottsass Jr., Joe Colombo and others.
His signature furniture piece — the one by which he is represented in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Germany’s Vitra Design Museum and elsewhere — is the sleek Superleggera chair, produced by Cassina starting in 1957. (The name translates as “superlightweight” — advertisements featured a model lifting it with one finger.) Ponti had a playful side, best shown in a collaboration he began in the late 1940s with the graphic artist Piero Fornasetti. Ponti furnishings were decorated with bright finishes and Fornasetti's whimsical lithographic transfer prints of things such as butterflies, birds or flowers; the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts possesses a 1950 secretary from their Architetturra series, which feature case pieces covered in images of building interiors and facades. The grandest project Ponti and Fornasetti undertook, however, lies on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean: the interiors of the luxury liner Andrea Doria, which sank in 1956.
Widely praised retrospectives at the Queens Museum of Art in 2001 and at the Design Museum London in 2002 sparked a renewed interest in Ponti among modern design aficionados. (Marco Romanelli’s monograph written for the London show, offers a fine overview of Ponti’s work.) Today, a wide array of Ponti’s designs are snapped up by savvy collectors who want to give their homes a touch of Italian panache and effortless chic.
Find a range of Gio Ponti furniture on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Atlanta, GA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Over The Top: Helena Rubinstein Coffee Table Book, 2006Located in Atlanta, GAOver The Top: Helena Rubinstein, Extraordinary Style, Beauty, Art, Fashion, Design published in 2006 and written by Suzanne Slesin chronicles the life and extraordinary times of a trailblazer in the cosmetics industry. Not only was Helena Rubinstein (1872-1965) a savvy and successful entrepreneur, but she was also a stylemaker with unique taste for both personal adornment and decor. Her art collection included ground breaking modernists of the time ... Picasso, Dali, Matisse, Brancusi ... just to name a few. She was also fascinated with African art and incorporated carvings and masks into her Art Deco decors. This hardbound 216 page volume recounts her history, both business and personal, with beautiful images and informative text. Original dust jacket included. As Ms. Rubinstein would say, 'There are no ugly...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Chinese Style
- Horst Interiors Coffee Table Book, 1993Located in Atlanta, GAFascinating people in their stylish interiors ... Horst Interiors by Barbara Plumb, published in 1993, showcases the artful photography of Horst P. Horst, famed fashion and interiors...Category
1990s American Style
- 1994 Book On the History & Fashion of ChatelainesLocated in Atlanta, GAIf chatelaines are your thing then curl up with this book for a good dose of eye candy ... if you don't know much about chatelaines then you will have a great appreciation after read...Category
Mid-19th Century British Fashion
- Pucci Coffee Table Book Published by Taschen, 2021By Emilio Pucci, TASCHENLocated in Atlanta, GAPucci from cover to cover! Fabulous 448 page coffee table book published by Taschen in Italy compiling the life and times of Emilio Pucci and his iconic fashion house. His talented...Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Fashion
- Geoffrey Beene Black Floral Two Piece Dress Set, 1970'sBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in Atlanta, GAThis 1970's Geoffrey Beene two piece dress ensemble is a vision of loveliness. Both pieces are are a combination of a unique puckered black sheer fabric and a floral linen depicting...Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- Lanvin Geometric Print Maxi Shirt Dress, 1970'sBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Atlanta, GA1970’s Lanvin shirt dress in a maxi length with period perfect details including large pointy collar and full sleeves. The geometric print combines stripes, arrowhead shapes and mul...Category
1970s American Maxi Dresses
- Gio Ponti The Complete Work 1923 - 1978 1st Edition Hard Cover BookBy Gio PontiLocated in University City, MOGio Ponti The Complete Work 1923 - 1978 1st Edition Hard Cover Book This is the first complete survey and thematic profile of one of the most prolific and accomplished Italian arch...Category
1990s Italian Design
- The Book of the Bath Hardcover 1998 by Francoise De BonnevilleLocated in North Hollywood, CAThe Book of the Bath Hardcover – October 15, 1998 by Francoise De Bonneville (Author) published by Rizzoli. 1st edition, 1st printing, 1998. For over 2000 years, in the Far East as in the West, bathing and showering have been more than practical necessities. Bathing has become a rite and a refuge, and this is the first book to lavish due attention on the history of the bath across the centuries and around the world. Although the room for bathing as we know it has existed for only a century, public baths wee institution in ancient cultures; and, of course, beginning n the Renaissance, bathing was not just hygienic, but a sensual and sybaritic event. In The Book of the Bath, abundant illustrations- from Byzantine frescoes and Orientalist paintings of harems...Category
Late 20th Century French Design
- Tutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Hardcover BookLocated in North Hollywood, CATutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Hardcover Book New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art and Alfred A. Knopf, Inc, 1976. Title: Tutankhamun: His Tomb and Its Treasures Publisher: Random House Inc Publication Date: 1977 Binding: Hardcover Book Condition: Fair First edition. Color and black & white illustrations Language : English Hardcover : 250 pages Item Weight : 3 pounds Format Hardcover Large size: 11.50 x 9 x 1 in. Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Treasures of Tutankhamun" at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. and others in the U.S. Never before in the literature—or the photography—of Egyptology has a book displayed so richly the splendors of ancient Egyptian art...Category
Late 20th Century Egyptian Design
- The Drawing Room English Country House Decoration by J Musson Hardcover BookBy RizzoliLocated in North Hollywood, CAThe Drawing Room: English Country House Decoration by Jeremy Musson Published by Rizzoli. Title: The Drawing Room: English Country House. Publisher: Rizzoli. Publication Date: 2014. ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Design
- Royal Occasions: Watercolors and Drawings by John Castle Hardcover BookLocated in North Hollywood, CARoyal Occasions: Watercolors and Drawings by John Castle Hardcover Book. A collection of over 100 watercolours and drawings which gives a view of the traditions and ceremonies of the...Category
Late 20th Century British Design
- Soup tureen Christian Dior Porcelain From LimogesBy Christian DiorLocated in PARIS, FRSoup tureen Christian Dior Porcelain From Limoges - Good condition, has slight traces of wear appeared with time. - Christian Dior Limoges po...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Vintage
Recently ViewedView All
Barnaba Fornasetti’s Hallucinatory House Has His Father’s Spirit
Behind a nondescript facade in northeastern Milan is the magical residence of Barnaba Fornasetti. It's a shrine to the style developed by his design-legend father, which still defies categorization.
Billy Cotton Layers His Interiors with Lived-In Comfort
The Brooklyn-based designer is adept at styles ranging from austere to over-the-top, espousing an architectural, detail-oriented approach also evident in his line of furniture and lighting.