- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
S/S 1993 Gianni Versace Yellow Miami Beach Sun Print Short Sleeve Button Up Top
- DimensionsBust: 34 in. (86.36 cm)Waist: 35 in. (88.9 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 21 in. (53.34 cm)
- Place of OriginItaly
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout, size tag removed.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2388215060792
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- S/S 1997 Gianni Versace Couture Silk Medusa Pop Art Heart Print Mens Button UpBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a silk Gianni Versace shirt, designed by Gianni Versace for his Spring/Summer 1997 collection. This shirt steps away from Gianni’s notable baroque designs and t...Category
1990s Blouses$1,356 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1997 Gianni Versace Couture Runway Ad Campaign Sheer Yellow Floral TopBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a neon yellow stretch tulle floral blouse designed by Gianni Versace for his Spring/Summer 1997 collection. This top debuted as look 44 on Kirsten Owen on Giann...Category
1990s Blouses$996 Sale Price20% Off
- Mid 1990s Gianni Versace Yellow Medusa Snap Butterfly Seashell Print Cotton TopBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a nature-themed yellow Gianni Versace Couture button-up shirt, designed by Gianni Versace. From the mid 1990s, this vibrant yellow button-up shirt depicts flowe...Category
1990s Blouses$920 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1993 Gianni Versace Miami Beach Print Silk Men's Button Down ShirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a vibrant South Beach Miami printed Gianni Versace Couture top designed by Gianni for the brand's famous Spring/Summer 1993 collection. Many similar shirt were ...Category
1990s Italian Blouses$2,396 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1994 Gianni Versace Couture Silver Lurex Periwinkle Stretch BodysuitBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a silver and periwinkle lurex Gianni Versace Couture bodysuit, designed by Gianni Versace. From the Spring/Summer 1994 collection, this amazing one-piece featur...Category
1990s Blouses and Tops
- S/S 1994 Gianni Versace Couture Silver Lurex Rhinestone Medusa BodysuitBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a silver lurex Gianni Versace Couture bodysuit, designed by Gianni Versace. From the Spring/Summer 1994 collection, this incredible bodysuit is constructed of l...Category
1990s Blouses and Tops
You May Also Like
1990s Blouses and Tops
Late 20th Century Blouses and Tops
1980s Blouses and Tops
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery