2015 LANVIN GOLD Peacoat with Hood
About the Item
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 90s Jean Paul Gaultier Wrap Around Soft Cashmere CoatBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChic and soft vintage 90s Jean Paul Gaultier wrap around cashmere coat in camel color lined in silk. coat comes with belt. Size : Medium / coat...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Japanese Ceremonial Brocade Kimono with Floral Embroidery and PhoenixLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful vintage Japanese ceremonial brocade kimono embroidered with red and gold floral and Phoenix embroidery. Kimono comes with red rope belt. Kimon...Category
20th Century Unknown Evening Gowns
- RODARTE 2016 Colorful Fur CoatBy RodarteLocated in Beverly Hills, CARodarte 2016 Fur Coat in orange, white, black and yellow. Coat is in excellent condition. Fit size 2/4/6Category
Early 2000s American Evening Gowns
- 1960s Blue Silk Cocktail Coat DressBy TownleyLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1960s Townley Evening Blue Silk Wrap Coat Dress. Perfect for cocktail party. Coat is lined in Green silk. Very elegant. Bust 33” / Waist 28”/ Hip 45” / Coat Length 55” / sleeve lengt...Category
1960s Cocktail Dresses
- CHANEL Blue Velvet Double Breast Coat with BeltBy Chanel, Karl LagerfeldLocated in Beverly Hills, CACHANEL Blue velvet double breast coat with large lapel and belt . Coat lined in silk and has 2 pockets. Marked size 38 Measurement: Shoulder: 15.5”...Category
Early 2000s French Coats
- Galanos Multi-Color with Metallic Gold Lame Multi-Floral Brocade Evening CoatBy GalanosLocated in New York, NYGalanos wonderfully elegant bold multi-color florals with metallic gold lame accent brocade evening coat is finished with a coco brown silk lining interior. A Runway sample, m...Category
1970s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1960s Bernetti Citrine Silk Opera Coat & Dress Ensemble w Extravagant BeadworkLocated in Gresham, ORA fabulous Bernetti 1960s 2 piece evening ensemble: Citrine silk opera coat and column dress with extravagant hand-sewn beadwork and rhinestone embroi...Category
1960s American Evening Gowns
- Elegant Moroccan Damask Metallic Floral CaftanLocated in North Hollywood, CAStunning and elegant Moroccan caftan with silver metallic Moorish floral damask brocade. Hand made in Morocco great to use for a black tie party or to go to the Opera. Wear it as a c...Category
1980s Moroccan Caftans
- Amazing Vintage Caftan, Caramel Velvet and Gold Embroidered, ca. 1960sLocated in North Hollywood, CAAmazing vintage handmade caftan, caramel color crushed silk velvet heavily with gold rim threads. Circa 1960's The honey gold velvet kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by...Category
1960s Moroccan Caftans
- Jean Paul Gaultier sheepskin and fox fur coat dress, fw 2006By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier sheepskin and fox fur coat dress ▪ Sheepskin bodice with shearling trim ▪ Full a-line skirt made up of vertically cut strips of fox fur ▪ Front zip fastening ▪ ...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- A Rare Couture Evening Kaftan By Madeleine Chéruit Boulanger Circa 1920/30Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1920/1930 French Haute Couture Rare CollectibleHaute Couture coat or kaftan of evening / interior labelled by Chéruit Wormser and Boulanger, 21 place Vendôme Paris. Black woo...Category
1920s French Caftans