Dolce & Gabbana black sheared weasel fur coat with leather fringing, A / W 2003
About the Item
Dolce & Gabbana
Shapely lingerie models, animal and floral prints and the Mediterranean heritage of Sicily have come to define the romantic and sensual style of Dolce & Gabbana, a leading international brand that from its earliest days of corsetry, copious lace and provocative silhouettes has challenged fashion with an audacious vision for femininity.
After meeting in Milan in 1980 while they were both working for Italian designer Giorgio Correggiari, Domenico Dolce (b. 1958) and Stefano Gabbana (b. 1962) would go on to establish their eponymous fashion empire in 1982. Three years later, a breakthrough for the duo materialized in the form of an up-and-coming talent showcase at Milan Fashion Week, where they unveiled an approach to fashion design that broke sharply from that of the era’s reigning Italian houses. By then romantic partners as well as a business, Dolce & Gabbana were outsiders. Soon, their distinctive garments — sexy, feathery skirts and stretchy jersey evening dresses that favored full figures — demanded the fashion world’s undivided attention.
Though Dolce & Gabbana forged a path in womenswear that would take shape with a 1986 collection called “Real Women,” the brand’s offerings broadened quickly to encompass knitwear, swimwear, lingerie, ready-to-wear, menswear and perfume. In the early 1990s, Madonna helped catapult the luxury house to international stardom: The renowned singer and actress famously tapped the brand to create the looks for her 1993 tour “The Girlie Show.” It saw Madonna working closely with the designers and even starring in their ad campaigns. Dolce & Gabbana has continued to develop a high-profile clientele that includes pop sensations such as Beyoncé and Lady Gaga. The latter donned Dolce & Gabbana’s armor corset dress in the music video for her hit single “Paparazzi.”
Rather than following the rapidly changing trends of fashion, Dolce & Gabbana have instead held to their close-fitting tailoring and decadent designs. The house continues to work with recurring themes such as the culture of Italy and Catholicism, which is manifest, specifically, in their widespread use of black lace, a fabric that references the dresses worn by Sicilian widows. The duo is also inspired by Italian cinema and its icons such as Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren; in 2015 they introduced the Sophia No. 1 lipstick in her honor.
Although Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana separated as a couple in 2005, they continued their business as a creative partnership. In 2012, they closed their less expensive D&G ready-to-wear line to focus on exclusive extravagance, such as their Alta Moda custom pieces. Today, Dolce & Gabbana maintains a popularity with a wealthy clientele, and the house’s 2020s collections have featured technological experiments that update traditional styles, such as a bouclé jacket with a pixel-like pattern, as well as throwbacks to the 1990s fashion that made the brand a household name.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Jacques Fath red leopard print silk evening coat, fw 1992By Jacques FathLocated in London, GBJacques Fath red leopard print silk evening opera coat with quilted interior and large button fastenings. Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s French Opera Coats
- Men's Gucci by Tom Ford bottle green pony hair trench coat, fw 2005By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Gucci bottle green pony hair trench coat ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Double buckle waist belt ▪ Large notched lapel and collar ▪ Two front pockets ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Men's Hermes black wool belted trench coat, c. 1980sBy HermèsLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Hermes black trench coat ▪ 100% Wool ▪ 'Hermes Paris' etched buttons ▪ Raglan sleeves ▪ Rayon lining ▪ Two side pockets ▪ Size 52 ▪ c. 1980sCategory
1980s French Trench Coats
- John Galliano black silk heavyweight showpiece opera coat, ss 1995Located in London, GB▪ John Galliano black silk showpiece opera coat ▪ Heavyweight ▪ Standing collar ▪ Allover parallel topstitch designed to add structure and volume to the fabric ▪ Cube shoulders an...Category
1990s Coats and Outerwear
- Tom Ford brown multi-fur long coat with curved pattern, fw 2015By Tom FordLocated in London, GB▪ Tom Ford multi-fur long coat ▪ North American Beaver, Mink, Coypu, Persian Lamb ▪ 1970s inspired pattern made up of many impressive sinuous seams that curve and undulate ▪ Horn bu...Category
2010s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Yves Saint Laurent oversized brown and white fox coat, c. 1980sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBPresenting an exquisite Yves Saint Laurent oversized wild fox coat, a rare and luxurious piece from the 1980s. This coat exemplifies the brand's commitment to luxury and high fashion...Category
1980s French Fur Puffer Coats
- Gianni Versace 90's XS - L black leather suede shearling bondage coat jacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGianni Versace A very rare oversized coat from the 90's bondage collection Black suede with leather trim and fully lined in shearling Hooded Large gold medusa emblems Closes via two...Category
1990s Italian Hooded Jackets
- Persian Karakul Lamb Fur Reversible coat with Brown SuedeLocated in Amsterdam, NLRare to find This vintage fur coat is beautiful designed and reversible. Its made from karakul lamb astrakhan with brown suede panels at one side. Pr...Category
20th Century Unknown Coats and Outerwear
- Alberta Ferretti Metallic Fringe Leather JacketBy Alberta FerrettiLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis is a leather fringe jacket from Alberta Ferretti. We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore. Details: Made of metallic bronze leather, with gold and silver st...Category
20th Century Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Black Fringed Fox Fur Stole CollarLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis beautiful stole collar is made of black soft High-quality fox fur with fringed rabbit fur. We offer more luxury fur products, view our frontstore. Details: Fully lined Nice to ...Category
20th Century Stoles
- Flower Power Sequin JacketLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis vintage gold silk jacket is embroided with colorful sequins flowers. We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore Details: Fully lined. Can be worn on jeans or ev...Category
20th Century Opera Coats
- Reversible Long Leather Grey Broadtail Lamb Fur CoatLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis exclusive vintage leather coat is reversible to broadtail lamb fur. We offer more Broadtail, Astrakhan, Persian lamb fur items, see our fron...Category
20th Century Unknown Coats and Outerwear
Recently ViewedView All
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.