- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Important & Rare Paco Rabanne Neon Coat Dress 1967
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Vintage Paco Rabanne Chain Mail Metal Couture Bikini EnsembleBy Paco RabanneLocated in Los Angeles, CA"Metal Couturier" Paco Rabanne silver chain mail metal two piece bikini with gold tone metal hoop detailing. Triangle silver chain mail top features gold hoops throughout and a chain...Category
20th Century French Bikinis
- Vintage Alexander Mcqueen Black Denim "Irere" Coat with Laces 2003By Alexander McQueenLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a black denim "Pirate" coat from the Irere collection featuring a high collar, long sleeves, adjustable laces at the center back seam and aro...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Coats
- Comme Des Garcons Grey Pinstripe & Black Fancy Coat Dress 2006By Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Comme des Garcons a black fancy dress attached to a double-breasted grey jacket with an attached skirt in the front. From the AW 20...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Coats
- Iconic Gucci By Tom Ford Black Tab Runway Coat 2001By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Tom Ford for Gucci black collarless evening coat featuring long sleeves, straight silhouette an exposed brass zipper and black tabs...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Vintage Alexander McQueen Military Fox Fur Hood Bomber 2007By Alexander McQueenLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Alexander McQueen metallic military green corseted parka with auburn fox fur trim. Runway piece from the Autumn/Winter 2007 Collection. Excellent Vintage Condition. Size 3...Category
Early 2000s Coats and Outerwear
- Rare Maison Martin Margiela Black Feather Vest 2004-05By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Maison Martin Margiela black feather vest with a longer front, short back, large metallic label, and˙ bands at the back. Circa Autu...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- Paco Rabanne Black Zip Front JacketBy Paco RabanneLocated in Portland, ORThis is a great Paco Rabanne zip front jacket with diagonal hip pockets and ribbed sleeves. The jacket is lined and is made of 93% rayon, 11% nylon and 6% elastane. This classic piec...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Coats and Outerwear
- Paco Rabanne clear plastic embroidered coat with incased black feathers, c. 1960By Paco RabanneLocated in London, GB▪ Paco Rabanne clear plastic coat ▪ Black stitch embroidered pattern ▪ Incased black feathers ▪ Large buttons with velcro backing ▪ Two front patch pockets ▪ Size Medium ▪ c. 1960sCategory
1960s French Coats and Outerwear
- Paco Rabanne Rich Shades of Browns and Yellow Striped Center Silk ScarfBy Paco RabanneLocated in New York, NYPaco Rabanne wonderfully rich shades of browns and yellow accented with black surrounding a striped center silk scarf measures 30 inches by 31 inches. Edges are hand-rolled and ...Category
1980s French Scarves
- Paco Rabanne Couture Black and Green Architectural and Structured JacketBy Paco RabanneLocated in Los Angeles, CAMen's jacket by Paco Rabanne circa 1980s Black wool outer with green wool inner Black vinyl trims Hidden button closure in front Condition: Good, structurally needs shapingCategory
Late 20th Century Jackets
- 1960s Givenchy Coat and SkirtBy GivenchyLocated in Austin, TX1960s Givenchy red and off white square printed coat and skirt. Condition: Excellent. Size 38 / or current 4 - 6 Coat: 35" bust, 31" waist, 37" hips, 43.5" length. Skirt: 26" wais...Category
1960s French Coats
- Celine F/W 2003 pink silk oversized button belted trench coatBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRLook 40 from the Celine F/W 2003 runway collection by Michael Kors Pink trench coat with large oversized black buttons and gold hardware Oversized fit Celine engraved buckles to the ...Category
Early 2000s French Trench Coats
- New Rare Vintage Philippe Chevallier Mask Tortoise Oversized 1960's SunglassesBy Philippe ChevallierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew rare collector's item, museum piece vintage Philippe Chevalier light tortoise oversized sunglasses with light lenses. A superb find. Please notice this item may show minor s...Category
1960s French Sunglasses
- Platform boots with screen printed Andy Warhol Marilyn Diptych print, c. 1960sLocated in London, GBHighly collectable and one of a kind original 1960s canvas platform boots with screen printed Andy Warhol's 'Marilyn Diptych' print. The boots are even printed in the same style ...Category
1960s Unknown Boots
- 1960's Mr. John White & Green Pique Beret HatBy John HarbergerLocated in Atlanta, GAThis whimsical beret designed by John Harberger for his millinery line, Mr. John Classic, has a crisp summery aesthetic. The white cotton pique body is decorated with a bright green...Category
1960s American Berets
- 1960'S Lime Green & Orange Cotton Mod Geometric Plaid Print CoatLocated in New York, NY1960'S Lime Green & Orange Cotton Mod Geometric Plaid Print CoatCategory
1960s Blouses and Tops
- Ultra Rare 1960 Christian Dior Enamel Jewelled Rose Archive Dior SunglassesBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandUltra rare pair of Christian Dior Sunglasses circa 1960's by Tura. This is a seldom and rare piece not only for its aesthetic value but for its importance in the sunglasses and fa...Category
1960s French Sunglasses