- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Celine Black Silk Mini Dress, Size 42
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Now renowned for chic womenswear as well as luxury leather handbags that are often recognized for their iconic gold-tone fastening and hardware, French fashion house Celine got its start in children’s shoes.
In 1945, Céline Vipiana and her husband, Richard, opened a made-to-measure shoe shop for children at 52 rue de Malte in Paris. Designer Céline’s name graced the business, alongside a red elephant designed by French cartoonist Raymond Peynet that served as the company’s first logo. In 1967, following an expansion into women’s shoes and leather accessories, the Vipianas decided to expand their company’s reach into women’s ready-to-wear, focusing on high-end sportswear. Céline Vipiana, who remained chief designer until her death in 1997, would oversee a range of fashion that would reach an international audience with a pared-down elegance and timeless style.
The company quickly achieved widespread success with its new offerings, most notably its trench coat, which became a staple for the brand. In the 1970s, they expanded outside Paris with boutiques in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong. In 1973, Céline Vipiana, inspired by chain links around the Arc de Triomphe, debuted the Blazon Chaîne motif of interlocking C’s. She began using it on a printed canvas and branding as well as accents on accessories, such as the Triomphe bag.
Vipiana’s designs were created to appeal as everyday fashion: Celine skirts, suits, fitted shirts, vests and coats were stylish but rooted in practicality. Quality, too, was paramount; Vipiana’s determination to deliver the best possible leather led to the opening of a studio in Florence, where the brand created its leather goods.
Vipiana died a year after her brand was acquired by Bernard Arnault’s luxury conglomerate LVMH for about $540 million. American designer Michael Kors then took the helm as creative director. Kors, too, was known for practical but chic ready-to-wear. He introduced such luxury staples as cashmere sets, smartly tailored pants and simple slip dresses, plus themed collections around jet-setter locales like Monte Carlo and Tahiti. Following Kors’s departure in 2004, onetime Burberry designer Roberto Menichetti took the job for just a year. He was followed by designer Phoebe Philo, the young British designer who is now credited with establishing Celine’s 21st-century style.
Philo created a distinct, minimal style that channeled the brand’s roots of practical simplicity with luxury materials. (“I just thought I’d clean it up,” she quipped of her debut collection in 2010.) Over the course of ten years, Philo turned the company into a beloved fixture of the fashion industry. In 2018, after Philo’s departure, the house tapped Hedi Slimane, former creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, as its new leader; he caused a stir when he famously removed the accent from the brand name. Controversial though it was, Slimane maintained it was a return to the label’s roots: an exercise in strong simplicity.
Find vintage Celine day dresses, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- Vintage Balenciaga Navy Knit Mini Dress, Size 40Located in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The dress is designed by Balenciaga, it is made out of wool and it features navy knit finish, crew neck line, short sleeves and mini length.Category
Late 20th Century Day Dresses
- Sacai Luck Black Floral Lace Button- Down Shirt Wrap Mini Dress Size 3By Sacai LuckLocated in Beverly Hills, CASacai Luck Black Floral Lace Button- Down Shirt Wrap Mini Dress Size 3 Product details: Size 3 Button- down top with collar and side pocket detail Short sleeves Featuring adjustable...Category
Late 20th Century Japanese Mini Dresses
- The Row Black Midi Dress, Size MediumBy The RowLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The dress features turtle neck design, mid length with side slits.Category
2010s Day Dresses
- Vintage Bally Silk Ivory Sleeveless Mini Dress Size 6By BallyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size US 6, IT 40. Featuring ivory/ cream, brown, yellow, blue and green geometric print. Strap detail with side zipper closure. Mini length. Made in Italy.Category
Late 20th Century Italian Casual Dresses
- Diane von Fürstenberg Navy Lace Mini Dress, Size 8By Diane von FurstenbergLocated in Beverly Hills, CA- Floral lace motif - Gold tone rear zip closure - 3/4 sleeves length - Crew neckline on the front and v neckline on the backCategory
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Carven Black Mid Lenght Long Sleeve Dress Size 38By CarvenLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size 38 Featuring 100% polyester fabric, long sleeves with slit, mid length, shorter on the front, longer on the back, rear zip closure. Made in Turkey.Category
Late 20th Century Turkish Formal Wear
- Celine Brown Cut out Back Dress with Bead TrimBy Michael Kors, CelineLocated in Water Mill, NYA very chic brown jersey dress by Michael Kors for Celine. It has rows of brown wooden bead adorned straps at the front neckline which extend over the shoulders forming 5 fine stra...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- CELINE Size 2 Black Structured Sleeveless A Line Shift DressBy CelineLocated in San Francisco, CACELINE shift dress comes in a structured woven fabric with a round neckline and A line skirt silhouette. Silk lined. Made in France. Excellent Pre-Owned Condition. Marked: FR 38 Me...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Celine Black Wool Jersey Surplice Bodice Draped Skirt 1990sBy CelineLocated in West Palm Beach, FLCeline black wool jersey surplice bodice, draped Hip Skirt from the 1990s. Long sleeve dress has a pleated collar V neckline and a surplice, wrap front bodice, the sleeves close with...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Celine By Phoebe Philo black knit dress with woven trim - newBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CAJet-black, floor length knit dress with raw collar and delicate woven hem designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Size S. Approximate measurements: shoulder 13.5", bust 32" bust, 30" wa...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- 2014 CELINE BY PHOEBE PHILO black strapless dress with beltsBy CelineLocated in San Fransisco, CAJet-black, belted, strapless dress with silver hardware designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine dating to resort of 2014. Belts at bust and waist. Can be dressed up or down. Labeled a F...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- CELINE black & grey viscose CHECK HIGH NECK LONG SLEEVE KNIT Dress XSBy CelineLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Céline high neck knit dress in black and charcoal viscose (73%), polyamide (22%), polyester (3%) and elastane (2%). Features long sleeves and a check print. Unlined. H...Category
2010s Casual Dresses