New Jean Paul Gaultier Femme Blue Trench Coat Maxi Dress
About the Item
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Oscar de la Renta Blue and White Plaid Check Ribbon Weave Silk DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta silk pencil cut dress in an amazing blue and white abstract check ribbon weave. Back zip and hook and eye. Oscar de la Renta signature print lining. 57% cotton, 43...Category
2010s American Sheath Dresses
- 1960s Dynasty for I Magnin Floral Print Orange and Black Velvet Maxi DressBy DynastyLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1960s I. Magnin & Co. by Dynasty orange, brown and black floral print A-line quilted velvet maxi dress. Psychedelic floral and geometric pattern. Short sleeves and cheongsam ...Category
1960s Chinese Maxi Dresses
- Alexander McQueen Black and White Draped Belted DressBy Alexander McQueen, Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress with white draped bodice and black bottom with attached belt at hip. Circa 2013. Below the knee l...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2010 Black Butterfly Detail DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black pencil dress with multi-toned black satin, mesh and sheer panels at bust creating a butterfly. Nude lining. Back zip and hook and eye closure. 50% viscose, ...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 2008 Alexander McQueen Black Silk with Sheer Side Panels DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen fitted black silk dress with sheer mesh teardrop shaped panels at sides with nude lining beneath. The unexpected panels add just enough edginess to a classic black dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Karl Lagerfeld Vintage 1980s Ballerina Dancer Embellished Black DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in San Francisco, CAKarl Lagerfeld vintage 1980s black wool long sleeve dress with embellished rhinestone/crystal ballerina at front and great seam detailing at bodice. Leg of mutton sleeves with rhines...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Jean-Louis Sherrer Evening Dress in Navy Polka dots Net Circa 1980By Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980 France Beautiful evening dress in navy blue Polyamide tulle with polka dots by Sherrer Boutique Paris numbered A13862 dating from the beginning of the Prêt-à-porter of t...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- 1970s Galanos Long sleeve Multi color Maxi Silk Dress in Abstract Print.By James Galanos, Galanos for Amelia GrayLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Galanos for Amelia Gray Purple, Blue, Green , orange and yellow Abstract print flown silk chiffon gown with billowy sleeves. Size: Small / 4 Measurement; Bust: 34’ / Waist: 2...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage 1950's Marjon Couture Mauve Purple Silk Reverse-Halter Pleated GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous mid-century formal gown by the Marjon Couture London fashion house. The fabric used is of the highest quality; shimmering light-weight mauve ...Category
1950s English Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950s Pierre Balmain Couture Navy Lace Illusion Strapless Dress & JacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Pierre Balmain Paris cocktail dress set dating back to his 1959 Spring/Summer collection. Pierre Balmain worked under Robert Pigiuet, Molyneux, and Lucian Lelong, where ...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana New One Sleeve Dress with ChainsBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous pink jersey dress from Dolce & Gabbana's D & G line. It has a drape neckline front and back adorned with rows of draping gold chains and ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Color Block DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful body conscious purple dress trimmed in black velvet by Thierry Mugler. It has short sleeves, a sweetheart neckline and is semi fitted with princess seaming through to th...Category
1990s French Day Dresses