NWT Versus Versace Vintage Pink Bodycon Dress
View Similar Items
NWT Versus Versace Vintage Pink Bodycon Dress
About the Designer
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- SS 1996 Gianni Versace Leather Dress Small / Shot by Richard AvedonBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGIANNI VERSACE, Made in Italy, spring 1996. Look 2 of Spring-Summer 1996 show by Gianni Versace. This beautiful dress has also been shot by Richard Avedon for Versace's advertising....Category
1990s Day Dresses
- F/W 1997 Gianni Versace Red Corset Party DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGIANNI VERSACE, Made in Italy, Fall 1997. Red little party dress designed by Gianni Versace for the last show before his passing. “I’m moving more into the reality of things,” Giann...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Tricots Blue Green Sparkle Dress Small SBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Paris, FRYVES SAINT LAURENT Tricots, Made in Thailand. Asymmetrical long dress made Size is referred as a 40 but I would recommend it for a Small siz...Category
1990s Thai Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990's Versus by Gianni Versace Asymmetrical Dress Mandala SmallBy Versus, Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRVERSUS by GIANNI VERSACE, Made in Italy, circa 90’s. Asymmetrical long dress with slit sides. Beautiful terracota and blue colors mixed in a mandala inspired print. Fabrics : Cotto...Category
1990s Day Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Orange Dress Metallic Fringes LargeBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Paris, FRTHIERRY MUGLER, Made in France, circa 90’s. Belted wrap dress with padded shoulders, asymmetrical collar and two pockets. Beautiful orange color. Metallic fringes finishing the belt....Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Leonard Vintage Psychedelic Tee Dress with Vibrant ColorsBy LeonardLocated in Paris, FRLEONARD Paris, Made in France. Tee-shirt Dress with a vibrant pink and blue psychedelic print representing among other : clouds, dragon, Chinese house a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- 1960s Christian Dior Ethnic-Inspired Knit Maxi Dress w/ Fringed Midriff & HemBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Gresham, ORA wonderful late 1960s Christian Dior ethnic-inspired purple, black and tan light-weight knit maxi dress with free floating top overlay, scalloped and frin...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
- Jacques Heim psychedelic print silk cocktail dress. circa 1960sBy Jacques HeimLocated in London, GBJacques Heim is inextricably linked with the history of French fashion. In the years 1958-1962 he was the president of the highly influential Paris Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Cout...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Neutral Floral NWT ethereal silk kimono dress - FLORA KUNGBy Flora KungLocated in Boston, MAOne of Flora's personal favorites (she owns 2!) Easy to wear, ethereally chic, timeless and seasonless. Just enough flare on the kimono sleeve. 5" slit on either side. Print: Gray...Category
Early 2000s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Racil Ruffed Printed Silk Crepe De Chine Maxi DressLocated in London, GBThis bohemian maxi dress by Racil is cut from floaty silk crepe de chine decorated with whimsical fans, the flouncy ruffles swish and sway so beautifully in a belted wrap silhouette....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Maxi Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Cold Shoulder Floral Print Silk Georgette Maxi DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in London, GBThis Roberto Cavalli dress is cut from floral-print silk-georgette, this maxi dress has cold-shoulder cutouts and fits for a loose billowing silhouette. Pink and blue silk-georgette....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery