Pierre Cardin 1980s Mod Color Block Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: S, M (US)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 36 in (91.44 cm)Hip: 40 in (101.6 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 34 in (86.36 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU511453632
Best known for creating groundbreaking fashion designs from the 1950s onward, Pierre Cardin enjoyed great success in other design fields, most notably furniture. Cardin’s chairs, cabinets, tables and other pieces share many of the keynotes of his clothing designs. They are simple, geometric, elegant and cool.
Cardin was born in a village near Venice, Italy, and raised in central France. Always interested in fashion, he left home at age 17 to train with a Vichy tailor. After the end of World War II, Cardin moved to Paris and worked for a succession of couture houses, before taking a job with Christian Dior in 1946. Cardin went solo in 1950, and quickly won attention for his novel style. Unlike Dior’s famous New Look, Cardin’s clothes de-emphasized a woman’s curves; his breakthrough pieces like the Bubble dress had, instead, a sculptural quality. In the following decade, Cardin introduced bright tunic dresses and shifts, marketed as the Space Age look and accessorized with vinyl hats and visors.
In the 1970s Cardin expanded his design work into furniture, jewelry and automobiles. (Later, licensing agreements would put Cardin’s name on goods ranging from perfume to sunglasses.) Cardin’s furniture pieces — inspired, perhaps, by the rediscovery of Art Deco design in that decade — feature simple, symmetrical forms, lacquer and figured veneer finishes, and accents in metals such as aluminum and brass.
Whether you are looking for a vintage cocktail dress or a chest of drawers to keep it in, as you will see on 1stDibs, Pierre Cardin offers an option in either that is timelessly chic.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Gianni Versace Orange Dress with Layered Hem 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous lightweight orange wool dress by Gianni Versace. It is semi fitted with a stand up collar, subtle long dolman sleeves and intricate layers of angled folds at the hemline ...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Travilla Strapless Silk Strapless Gown 1970sBy TravillaLocated in Water Mill, NYFrom acclaimed designer William Travilla a stunning gown comprised of layers of pointed edge red silk. He is famous for among other things creating Mari...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- B. H. Wragge Studded Linen Dress 1970Located in Water Mill, NYA fabulous orange linen dress covered in 100s of small gold metal studs from B. H. Wragge, the label is dated 1970. It is a simple sleeveless A line dress with a small stand up colla...Category
1970s American Day Dresses
- Louis Feraud 1980s Silk Dress with Elaborate LayersBy Louis FeraudLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous coral silk dress from Louis Feraud. The silk has a slight iridescent quality alternating subtly between shades of coral and rose coral. The dress has gathered cap sleeves...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Pierre Balmain Ruched DressBy Pierre Balmain, Balmain ParisLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous orange fine stretch silk dress from Pierre Balmain. It has a plunging V neckline with a vertically ruched bodice, horizontally ruched waist and skirt which is framed on ...Category
2010s French Day Dresses
- Jacqueline de Ribes 1980s Wrap Silk DressBy Jacqueline de RibesLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful red dot silk damask dress from French designer Jacqueline de Ribes. It wraps across the front closing with a hook at the waist, matching...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Lanvin vintage 1980s red pleated skirt with matching belt dressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Antwerp, BELovely pleated skirt coral red crepe dress by Lanvin comes with a matching belt. Made in a mix of 10%wool - 45%cupro - 30%acetate - The dress is fully lined with a 100% silk materia...Category
1880s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior "Boutique" Cashmere Blend Fuchsia Body-Hugging Tank DressBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior "Boutique" bold fuchsia body-hugging cashmere blended with silk body-hugging tank dress measures 30 inches in length. Underarm circumference measures 24 inches,...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- A Pierre Cardin Couture Batwing Sleeves Dress & Skirt Circa 1980By Pierre CardinLocated in Toulon, FREarly 1980. France. Pearly red dress from Pierre Cardin, in polyester satin, inner lining in red viscose. Under skirt held by two black presses inside the dress. Large three quarte...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1930S Burnt Orange Rayon & Silk Crepe Satin Long Sleeve Dress With Adjustable WLocated in New York, NY1930S Burnt Orange Rayon & Silk Crepe Satin Long Sleeve Dress With Adjustable Waist Sash Handmade Neckline, XLCategory
1930s Day Dresses
- 1990S Alaia Salmon Red Rayon Blend Stretch Dress With Pleated Ruffle Hem XLLocated in New York, NY1990S Alaia Salmon Red Rayon Blend Stretch Dress With Pleated Ruffle Hem XLCategory
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1960S GEOFFREY BEENE Coral Silk Mod Sheath DressBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NY1960S GEOFFREY BEENE Coral Silk Mod Sheath DressCategory
1960s American Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
How Renaissance Man Pierre Cardin Became One of Fashion’s Biggest Names
The visionary designer's futuristic clothing and furniture designs are celebrated in a new show at the Brooklyn Museum.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?