Vintage 1970's Ossie Clark for Radley Pink Celia Birtwell Print Crepe Dress Set
About the Item
- Dimensions:Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 26 in (66.04 cm)
- Style:1970s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Crepe, Silk
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3093375253
It’s hardly an exaggeration to say that neither the Swinging Sixties nor the hippie looks of the 1970s would have been what they were if not for Ossie Clark, who popularized the flamboyant fashion synonymous with the eras.
Born Raymond Clark in 1942, the designer moved as a boy to Oswaldtwistle, the source of his lifelong nickname. Clark began studies in architecture at just 13, a foundation that instilled in him the lessons of proportion and scale that would inform his day dresses, suits and other unique clothing decades later.
After learning tailoring, pattern cutting and more important technical skills at the Regional College of Art in Manchester (now the Manchester School of Art), Clark attended London’s prestigious Royal College of Art. There, he began a lifelong friendship with the artist David Hockney, who would eventually paint a portrait of Clark and his wife and partner, Celia Birtwell, also a designer.
Clark’s graduation show in 1964, featuring at least one garment decorated with a line of light bulbs, made instant waves in the fashion world, foreshadowing the career he would have as a boundary-pushing creative. He landed his first feature in British Vogue just months later and was a veritable instant addition to the London fashion scene. While he was still a student, Clark’s designs were being sold in the famous London boutique Quorum, and Henri Bendel had brought his collection to New York. His fashions soon became inextricably linked with the famous “Chelsea Girls” of the decade.
Clark’s clothing ran the gamut from free-flowing garments in muted hues to graphic patterns in bold colors informed by a fascination with Pop art and flora. He collaborated with Birtwell for most of his career, incorporating her dynamic Art Deco–inspired prints in his work before the couple parted in the 1970s. Clark favored crepes and chiffons and paid close attention to small details, often eschewing simple zippers in favor of, say, fabric-covered buttons. At the end of the 1960s, Clark adjusted hemlines to the maxi length and introduced a line of chiffon dresses intended to be worn over a nude body.
Clark’s penchant for flowing pants, bell sleeves and fringe is largely regarded as popularizing the archetype of 1970s fashion in London and the United States — influence bolstered, no doubt, by his dressing such A-list clients as Mick Jagger, Liza Minelli and The Beatles. A gifted draper, he was known for his uniquely flattering fits. As footwear icon Manolo Blahnik once said, “He created an incredible magic with the body and achieved what fashion should do — produce desire.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1967 Courreges Couture Yellow White Checkered Wool Belted Jacket & SkirtBy André CourrègesLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and iconic Andre Courreges Paris ensemble dating back to his 1967 couture collection. Andre Courreges launched his Space-Age look in 1964. The shapes of his clothes were geometric: squares, trapezoids, triangles. The main features of his ultra-modern, uncluttered look spread quickly throughout the fashion world, especially the miniskirt, which he introduced to France. This stunning yellow and ivory-white checkered wool two-piece is a fantastic example of his vision. The fitted jacket has a flirty low-cut plunge and bold waist belt. My favorite part is the over-sized breast pockets which is a signature Courreges touch. The high waisted a-line mod skirt is a statement piece in it's own right; definitely flattering the figure. "The woman who interests me doesn't belong to any particular physical type. She lives a certain life, however. She is active, moves fast, works, is usually young and modern enough to wear modern, intelligent clothes." Andre Courreges Measurements Jacket Bust: 36-37 inches Waist: up to 31 inches (belt used to make as small as desired) Sleeve Length: 21.5 inches Total Length: 22 inches Skirt Waist: 29 inches Hips: 40 inches Total Length: 23 inches This iconic first-edition Courreges numbered couture checkered skirt...Category
1960s French Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1968 Pierre Cardin Oatmeal Linen Double-Breasted Mod Pantsuit EnsembleBy Pierre CardinLocated in Beverly Hills, CASpectacular Pierre Cardin oatmeal linen pantsuit from his 1968 collection. In 1951 Cardin opened his own couture house and by 1957, he started a ready-to-wear line; a bold move for a French couturier at the time. The look most associated with Cardin is the "Space Age" collections of the 1960's which made some of the most futuristic clothing...Category
1960s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Vintage 1967 Nina Ricci Haute Couture Documented Ruby Red Wool Mod JumpsuitBy Nina RicciLocated in Beverly Hills, CAStunning and very rare documented Nina Ricci haute couture jumpsuit dating back to her 1967 Fall-Winter collection. The French fashion house, known for its feminine, ladylike clothing, has long been the go-to for Parisian chic. To achieve Nina Ricci figure-flattering cuts, the seasoned dressmaker draped on a live mannequin, pinning and snipping with a couturier's care. This breathtaking tailored jumpsuit dress is a perfect example of this brand's genius. The bodice has lean 3/4-length sleeves with a gorgeous mock turtleneck and hourglass nipped waist. I adore the hidden side pockets and sculpted middle front pleat skirting. Such a unique yet timeless design. Measurements Bust:33-34 inches Waist:25 inches Hips:up to 40 inches Total Length:57 inches This Nina Ricci haute couture designer jumpsuit...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1954 Lilli-Ann Documented Dove Gray Pintuck Stripe Jacket Hourglass SuitBy Lilli AnnLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA rare and absolutely stunning Lilli-Ann designer two piece suit dating back to their 1954 collection. Lilli Ann was started in San Francisco in 1933 by Adolph Schuman, naming his company for his wife, Lillian. The company became known for their beautiful, elaborately designed garments. This set is fashioned in a luxurious medium-weight English silk sharkskin. The ombré stripe design it itself is a masterpiece- chocolate to toffee pintuck panels with an impressive zig zag cut-out. The construction is impeccable and has the type of seamed pattern work that one rarely sees today. The hourglass jacket has amazing lean, long cuffed sleeves and original covered buttons. The high waisted pencil skirt finishes the suit with a perfect femme fatale vibe. Measurements Jacket Bust:39-40 inches Waist:29 inches Sleeve Length:24 inches Total Length:28 inches Skirt Waist:28 inches Hips:41 inches Total Length:31 inches This Lilli-Ann designer suit...Category
1950s American Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1970's Bill Gibb Metallic Knit Insect-Novelty Tassel Sweater Dress SetBy Bill GibbLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous Bill Gibb of London designer hand-knit sweater skirt set dating back to the mid-1970's. Bill Gibb drew his beautiful prints on paper and with the knit wear...Category
1970s English Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1970's Stephen Burrows Pale-Pink Layered Chiffon Wrap Blouse PantsuitBy Stephen BurrowsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAIncredibly gorgeous and rare Stephen Burrows pale pink chiffon pantsuit dating back to the mid 1970's. Burrows was one of the first African American fashion designers to achieve international recognition for his work. He was also one of the five American designers to show at the iconic Versailles battle in 1973 when the Americans went up against the French couturiers. He even won three Coty awards; in 1973, 1974 and 1977. This set is a fantastic testament to Stephen Burrow’s effortless ease and use of movement. The chic low-plunge blouse...Category
1970s American Trouser Pant Suits
- A French Fuschia Taffeta Blouse and skirt By Popy Moreni Paris Circa 1990Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Dramatic skirt, blouse and belt in acetate taffeta Fuschia by the Parisian designer Popy Moreni and dating from the 1990s. Blouse blou...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Nina Ricci Haute Couture Dress SuitBy Nina RicciLocated in Geneva, CHA versatile piece of haute couture, this 60’s Nina Ricci dress suit can be worn as a set for a very chic coordinated look or alternatively, the jacket can be teamed with jeans or tro...Category
1960s French Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Documented Pierre Cardin Plunging Hostess Dress and Skinny Pants - XS-S, 1970Located in Tucson, AZSingular and stunning, this unforgettable 2-piece ensemble is the embodiment of the jet set zeitgeist prevalent in the 1960s and early 70s. Consisting of a split-back maxi dress and ...Category
1970s American Trouser Pant Suits
- Rare Christian Lacroix multi-colored "Hearts" Holiday suitBy Christian LacroixLocated in New York, NYThis rare whimsical Christian Lacroix multi-colored, multi-patterned cotton poplin suit has colors of fuchsia, purple, white and reds accented with "Hearts" printed patterns a...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Diane Freis 2 Pc Vintage Red Floral Ruffled Dress or Tunic w Pants & Sash BeltBy Diane FreisLocated in Portland, ORThis is a vintage Diane Freis 2 piece botanical floral outfit that includes a tunic that can also be worn as a dress, and a pair of wide leg pants! The beautiful top is styled with ...Category
Late 20th Century Hong Kong Informal Dresses
- Norma Walters Vintage 1980s Deep Magenta Fuchsia Pink Knit 2 Piece DressBy Norma WaltersLocated in Portland, ORThis is a such a great 1980's wool knit two-piece deep fuchsia or magenta pink dress by Norma Walters. We discovered Norma Walters years ago when we bought a high end estate of mainl...Category
1980s American Informal Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery