1980s Bob Mackie White Silk Crepe Cocktail Dress w Sheer Beaded Waist Panel
About the Item
Vintage Bob Mackie dresses are a fashion favorite, and with good reason. The legendary Monterey, California–born fashion designer has accrued an enviable list of awards that speak to his unparalleled influence on costumes for screen and theatrical performances: Mackie has nine Emmy awards to his name, a Tony award, a CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award, three Academy Award nominations and more.
As a child, Bob Mackie was enamored of Portuguese-born Brazilian dancer and actress Carmen Miranda. The love of film shared by his sister and mother proved contagious for Mackie, and he marveled at the richness and beauty he found in ballet. He wasn’t interested in fashion so much as he was in entertainment and went on to fortunately find work in television during the 1960s, specifically in programming that seemed to encompass all of what he’d grown to love about the arts.
As a fashion sketch artist, Mackie collaborated with Hollywood’s greatest costume designers, working with the legendary Edith Head at Paramount Studios as soon as he’d finished school. From there, he secured work with French-born, Hollywood costume designer Jean Louis, sketching the iconic Louis dress worn by Marilyn Monroe when she sang “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” to John F. Kennedy in 1962.
Mackie would spend most of his career as a costume designer, creating iconic pieces like the Gone With the Wind parody costume (currently in the Smithsonian) for The Carol Burnett Show — where he worked for more than a decade — and campy, opulent dresses for The Cher Show on Broadway, for which he won the Tony award (he also designed bedazzled stage costumes for Sonny and Cher's 1976–77 run at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe). But he had a considerable influence on mainstream fashion as well.
The figure-hugging, feathered and fringed gowns and cocktail dresses Mackie created were worn by stars like Cher and Diana Ross on the red carpet and concert tours. Similar designs of his — dazzling evening dresses of black or vibrant red silk, some beaded with rhinestones or embellished with ostrich feathers or navy blue sequins — made their way into his mainstream fashion collection. His ready-to-wear line debuted in 1982.
Bob Mackie has always said that his clothing was “for the woman who is not afraid to be noticed,” and any woman in one of his signature dresses would definitely turn heads. There is sparkle and an element of grandeur in his garments, whether they were crafted for singer Elton John, a universally renowned fashion icon in his own right, or the woman next door, donning one of Mackie’s spectacular creations and feeling like a movie star herself.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Gresham, OR
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 1960s Christian Dior Ethnic-Inspired Knit Maxi Dress w/ Fringed Midriff & HemBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Gresham, ORA wonderful late 1960s Christian Dior ethnic-inspired purple, black and tan light-weight knit maxi dress with free floating top overlay, scalloped and frin...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
- 1960 Teal Traina Egg Shell Ribbon Lace Mini Dress W/ Wide Grosgrain Trim Size 4By Teal TrainaLocated in Gresham, ORStunning futuristic 1960s Teal Traina egg shell ribbon-embroidered lace mini dress with heavy wide grosgrain trim panel at waist and front bodice. Covered buttons up bodice front. Fu...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Adolfo Black and White Graphic Maxi Knit Dress w/ Rhinestone AccentsBy AdolfoLocated in Gresham, ORA fantastically graphic black and white Adolfo knit rayon maxi dress with coordinated black and white shoulder pads. Each black and white figure...Category
1970s American Maxi Dress
- 1980 Adolfo Gold Lace & Sequin Pouf Shoulder Cocktail Mini Dress Size 4By AdolfoLocated in Gresham, OREarly 1980s Adolfo sequined and beaded gold lace 3/4 sleeve mini dress with pouf shoulder. Gold bead banding at hem, collar and cuff. Back zipper. Unlined.Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s-Style Summer Halter Midi Dress W/ Hand-Crochet & Victorian Eyelet SkirtBy Torso CreationsLocated in Gresham, OR1970s Summer of Love styled halter midi dress with hand-crochet bust and midriff set on a Victorian cotton eyelet skirt. Empire waist, bikini top styling ties at the neck. Sweet an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Maxi Dresses
- 1960s Mr. Blackwell Gray Wool Knit Mini Dress w/ Fabulous Metallic Jewel FloralsBy Mr. BlackwellLocated in Gresham, OR1960s Mr. Blackwell Gray Wool Knit Mini Dress w/ Fabulous Metallic Jewel Florals: Sleeveless, fully lined and gorgeous. Size 4.Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Elaborately Beaded French FLapper Dress, c.1920sLocated in New York, NYElaborately Beaded French FLapper Dress, c.1920s Indigo knee-length gauze Flapper dress with intricate beading of art deco style motifs in shades of indigo, blue and silver. Featurin...Category
1920s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Emanuel Ungaro Resort 2015 Runway Cutout Bra Zebra Mini DressBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Naples, FLEmanuel Ungaro Resort 2015 Runway Cutout Bra Zebra Mini Dress Size IT 38 Look 3 from the Resort 2015 Collection.Category
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Tom Ford for Gucci c.2003 Plunging Bra Cutout Strappy Silk Evening Dress GownBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Naples, FLTom Ford for Gucci c.2003 Plunging Bra Cutout Strappy Silk Evening Dress Gown IT 40 Condition - good vintage condition with some minor discolorations throughout mostly on the bottom...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia S/S 1992 Runway Vintage Striped Bodycon Backless Maxi DressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Naples, FLAzzedine Alaia S/S 1992 Runway Vintage Striped Bodycon Backless Maxi Dress Size S Alaïa maxi bodycon dress with striped print throughout, squared neckline,...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana Unworn Lace Print Bustier Bodycon Mini DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Naples, FLDolce & Gabbana Unworn Lace Print Bustier Bodycon Mini Dress IT 38Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- KaufmanFranco Nude Silk Rhinestone Hand Beaded Bustier Cocktail Dress NWT Size 6By KaufmanFrancoLocated in Palm Springs, CAThis is one of favorite 2 cocktail dresses we have ever had. designed by KaufamnFranco, this nude/tan color silk dress is entirely hand beaded in rhinestones. different shape rhinest...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses