1990's John Galliano Black Slinky Asymmetrical Maxi Slip Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: no size tag- see measurements (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good- there is one small mark in the back towards the bottom where it seem shiny, so its only noticed in certain lights- see last photo- ankle length, not to the floor.
- Seller Location:Yukon, OK
- Reference Number:Seller: 2758095433801stDibs: LU406219064112
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Marilyn Monroe James Dean Silk MOD Micro Mini DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1991 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Excellent FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 46- A-line MOD 60's style body so fits ...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier Butterfly Embroidered Red & Black Fringe Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Good- one tiny faint mark- please see last photo FABRIC: 100% Acetate COUNTRY MADE: It...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- S/S 2005 Look 44 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Black Cut-out Draped Fringe DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2005 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Look #44 CONDITION: Good- light wear- no holes or stains! FABRIC: 100% rayon COUNTRY MAD...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage 1997 Dolce & Gabbana Sheer Ivory Crochet Floral Plunging Wiggle DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1997 Dolce & Gabbana CONDITION: Good- appears unworn, but has no size/fabric tag FABRIC: Unknown- no tag- feels like a slin...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1993 Gianni Versace Sheer Stretch Silk Black & White Striped Wiggle DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1993 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good-only imperfection is an extremely tiny and faint mark near the neck- please see last ph...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- S/S 2003 Alexander McQueen Irere Shipwreck Black Silk Bustier Mini DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2003 Alexander Mcqueen Irere Shipwreck collection CONDITION: Good- No holes or s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Lanvin white grecian style washed silk crystal embellished wedding dress gownBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Paris, FRLanvin Paris Collection Blanche Resort 2011 A beautiful floor length grecian style loose fitting ivory gown with crystal embellished waist band that would w...Category
2010s Wedding Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Valentino 18 white aztec leopard print crepe cady low cut silk gown dress IT 38By ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRValentino Resort 2018 floor length dress in leopard print motif developed in collaboration with artist Sandra Rhodes Print in Burgundy, pink and green...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Zandra Rhodes Black Silk Evening DressBy Zandra RhodesLocated in Paris, FRGorgeous Zandra Rhodes evening dress featuring a silk black taffeta fabric base, with gold metallic paint on the skirt portion, skirt gets an inside a tulle petticoat, a center back ...Category
1980s British Mini Dress
- Iconic Thierry Mugler Couture Spider Dress FW 2001 Rare Museum Worthy Black RedBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BESensational Rare Museum Worthy Thierry Mugler Couture Dress, FW 2001 Collection. Iconic Statement Piece Amazing black bodycon dress fashioned of black viscose rayon with raised red...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?