- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
2000s Valentino Garavani Black Diamond Cutout Floral Beaded Gown Y2K
- DimensionsMarked Size: 6 (NA)Waist: 28 in. (71.12 cm)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2388216421672
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- 1990s Valentino Garavani Rhinestone Black Beaded Sheer Accordion Pleat GownBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an elegant Valentino Garavani beaded gown from the 1990s. The long sleeve top of the gown is constructed in sheer mesh with a beaded overlay at the bust line an...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Early 2000s Valentino Garavani Black Silk Ribbon Sheer Mesh Bust GownBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a chic black silk ribbon gown designed in the early 2000s by Valentino Garavani. Woven black satin ribbon covers sheer black mesh panels at the bust and back. ...Category
Early 2000s Maxi Dresses
- F/W 1991 Valentino Garavani Runway Ruched Sheer Chiffon Brown Velvet DressBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a chocolate brown velvet and sheer Valentino Garavani dress. From the Fall/Winter 1991 collection, this chic and sexy dress debuted on the season's runway model...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1989 Valentino Garavani Ad Campaign Black Sheer Panel Bodycon Cocktail DressBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful black sheer Valentino Garavani cocktail dress. From the Spring/Summer 1989 collection, this fabulous dress was highlighted in the season's ad campai...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Valentino Garavani Red Wool Black Wool Pom Pom DressBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning red and black Valentino Garavani dress. From the 1970s, this vibrant red wool sleeveless dress features a crew neckline and is made complete with a b...Category
1970s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 2005 Valentino Garavani Runway Beaded Sequin Tassel Beige Green Sheer DressBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an abstract floral green beaded/sequined Valentino dress. From the Spring/Summer 2005 collection, this piece debuted on the season's runway as look 52 modeled b...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
You May Also Like
1990s Cocktail Dresses
1990s Cocktail Dresses
1990s Italian Evening Gowns
1970s Evening Dresses
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
1980s Evening Gowns
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
1980s Italian Day Dresses
1990s Evening Gowns
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery