Bob Mackie Vintage 70's Strapless Bugle Beaded Embellished Silk Evening Dress Item Status:
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bob Mackie Vintage 70's Strapless Bugle Beaded Embellished Silk Evening Dress
- DimensionsLength: 51 in. (129.54 cm)Marked Size: 12 (US)Bust: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Waist: 29 in. (73.66 cm)Hip: 44 in. (111.76 cm)
- Place of OriginUnited States
- ConditionIn excellent condition , some missing beads, there are thousands of them, nothing obvious.
- Seller LocationCloverdale, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU5811566712
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Cloverdale, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Vintage Bob Mackie dresses are a fashion favorite, and with good reason. The legendary Monterey, California–born fashion designer has accrued an enviable list of awards that speak to his unparalleled influence on costumes for screen and theatrical performances: Mackie has nine Emmy awards to his name, a Tony award, a CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award, three Academy Award nominations and more.
As a child, Bob Mackie was enamored of Portuguese-born Brazilian dancer and actress Carmen Miranda. The love of film shared by his sister and mother proved contagious for Mackie, and he marveled at the richness and beauty he found in ballet. He wasn’t interested in fashion so much as he was in entertainment and went on to fortunately find work in television during the 1960s, specifically in programming that seemed to encompass all of what he’d grown to love about the arts.
As a fashion sketch artist, Mackie collaborated with Hollywood’s greatest costume designers, working with the legendary Edith Head at Paramount Studios as soon as he’d finished school. From there, he secured work with French-born, Hollywood costume designer Jean Louis, sketching the iconic Louis dress worn by Marilyn Monroe when she sang “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” to John F. Kennedy in 1962.
Mackie would spend most of his career as a costume designer, creating iconic pieces like the Gone With the Wind parody costume (currently in the Smithsonian) for The Carol Burnett Show — where he worked for more than a decade — and campy, opulent dresses for The Cher Show on Broadway, for which he won the Tony award (he also designed bedazzled stage costumes for Sonny and Cher's 1976–77 run at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe). But he had a considerable influence on mainstream fashion as well.
The figure-hugging, feathered and fringed gowns and cocktail dresses Mackie created were worn by stars like Cher and Diana Ross on the red carpet and concert tours. Similar designs of his — dazzling evening dresses of black or vibrant red silk, some beaded with rhinestones or embellished with ostrich feathers or navy blue sequins — made their way into his mainstream fashion collection. His ready-to-wear line debuted in 1982.
Bob Mackie has always said that his clothing was “for the woman who is not afraid to be noticed,” and any woman in one of his signature dresses would definitely turn heads. There is sparkle and an element of grandeur in his garments, whether they were crafted for singer Elton John, a universally renowned fashion icon in his own right, or the woman next door, donning one of Mackie’s spectacular creations and feeling like a movie star herself.
- By Bob MackieLocated in Cloverdale, CABob Mackie Dramatic Vintage 80's Embellished Beaded Plunging Evening Dress So much prettier than the photos, p...Category
1980s Wedding Dresses
- By Bob MackieLocated in Cloverdale, CABob Mackie Vintage 80's Beaded Off the Shoulder Evening Dress with Pearl Fringe. So much prettier than the pho...Category
1980s Wedding Dresses
- By Roberto CavalliLocated in Cloverdale, CARoberto Cavalli Super Sexy Cut Out Chiffon Parrot Feather Print Evening Dress. Size XS Bust 32" Waist 30" Hips 4...Category
Early 2000s Mini Dress$1,120 Sale Price20% Off
- By Monique Lhuillier, Monique IhuillierLocated in Cloverdale, CAMonique Lhuillier Vintage Strapless Silk Evening Dress This is so pretty, simple and elegant. Size 10 Bust 36"...Category
1980s Evening Dresses
- By Emanuel UngaroLocated in Cloverdale, CAEmanuel Ungaro Haute Couture 1986 Navy Blue Pleated Cocktail Dress with Flounce Hem So pretty , from the Autumn ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- By Roberto CavalliLocated in Cloverdale, CARoberto Cavalli Spring 2003 Silk Cheongsam Style Floral Top and Skirt. The top has a cheongsam style closure. Si...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses$1,800 Sale Price25% Off