Christian Lacroix vintage 1990s black French Chantilly lace silk long dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: French 38 (EU)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 32 in (81.28 cm)
- Style:1990s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Antwerp, BE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU44716009512
The iconic French fashion designer, whose body of work includes handbags and purses, evening dresses, jackets and lots more, has always favored theater over fashion. He has long integrated corsets and bustles into his work, drawing on diverse cultures and citing epic historical dramas as inspirations. Today he is creating opera costumes, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that his colorful and voluminous garments captured the excesses and defined the extravagant frivolity of the 1980s as well as the sensuality and boldness of the 1990s.
Lacroix studied art history at the University of Montpellier and museum studies at École du Louvre and the Sorbonne in Paris. He aspired to become a museum curator or costume designer but instead entered the world of fashion, specifically haute couture, with the support of his now-wife Françoise Rosenthiel, who helped get his sketches to Hermès. Lacroix was offered an assistant job at the legendary luxury brand and later worked as a designer at the House of Patou in 1981.
Lacroix’s career flourished and his profile soared from then on, as he established his own label in 1987, using layers of fabric and consistently clashing prints in his designs for opulent pouf skirts, vibrant floral maxi day dresses as well as jewelry and watches that commanded attention. He created a ready-to-wear line for Italian manufacturer Genny and dressed dancers at the American Ballet Theatre company.
Lacroix became the artistic director of Italian fashion house Emilio Pucci in 2002, and, over time, he continued to secure work in the fields of theater, opera and other performance art, designing costumes for a range of stage productions. Alongside designs by Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeld and others, Madonna wore a corset during her 2004 “Re-Invention World Tour” that was created for her by Lacroix.
Today, the maison founded by the designer in 1987 is owned by the Falic Fashion Group, but Lacroix continues to design womenswear for brands such as Desigual as well as for the stage. His larger-than-life aesthetic has also been translated into a range of accessories and fragrances as well as various interior furnishings such as tableware and household linens. Lacroix has completed interior design projects at a number of hotels and has partnered with the likes of Christofle and other firms over the years. In whatever form it takes, the sumptuousness and glamour of a Lacroix design is unmistakable.
Find a range of vintage Christian Lacroix clothing, jewelry and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Antwerp, Belgium
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Courreges 1960s vintage black 100% silk smock boned bustier dressBy André Courrèges, CourrègesLocated in Antwerp, BEBeautiful vintage black silk boned bustier dress by Courreges Lined, Courrèges size 0 Measurements are taken flat Ua to Ua 15inch/38cm(x2) - Waist 12inch/30,5cm(x2) - Hip17inch/43cm...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Leonard Paris 1970s vintage signed 100% silk jersey floral print maxi dressBy Leonard of Paris, LeonardLocated in Antwerp, BESigned Leonard Paris 1970s vintage maxi dress featuring bell sleeves and made in a botanical printed 100% silk jersey. The dress is labeled size 4 but can accommodate a variety of si...Category
1970s Maxi Dress
- Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" iconique vintage 1970s documented black dressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Antwerp, BEThis is a version of the Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" dress that Talitha Getty wore for the Vogue Paris 1970 February issue photographed by Jeanloup ...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Leonard vintage 1970s signed bleu flower top 100% black silk jersey maxi dressBy LeonardLocated in Antwerp, BEVintage 1970's Leonard Paris blue flowers printed on black silk jersey maxi dress. Measurements taken flat: Sh to Sh 15inch/38cm - Ua to Ua 17inch/4...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier 1990s vintage metal chain lace-up black draped jersey dressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Antwerp, BEJean Paul Gaultier 1990s vintage semi-sheer lace-up metal chain embellished with pompoms black draped jersey dress. A black silk lining was added but can easily be removed. Size lab...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Chloé vintage circa 2007 embellished black silk dressBy ChloéLocated in Antwerp, BEChloé Paris vintage circa 2007 embellished bodice black silk empire waist dress. Up for auction only once! It's adorable and in perfect beautiful vintage c...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses