- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Emilio Pucci 1970s Silk Jersey Pink Purple Black Vintage 70s Maxi Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Medium / Large (US)Shoulder to Hem: 58 in (147.32 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:San Diego, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6628760541
By the mid-1960s, the international fashion press, enamored of his dazzling scarves and slithery dresses in sensuous psychedelic silk jersey, had dubbed Florentine designer Emilio Pucci the Prince of Prints. Less well known is that, starting in the early 1950s, Pucci applied his colorful, abstract patterns to static angular mediums such as ceramics, floors and furniture, imbuing them with movement, not to mention glamour. He was the first fashion designer to enter the lifestyle market, founding the successful brand that exists today.
Born in 1914 to one of Italy’s oldest noble families, Emilio Pucci, Marchese Pucci di Barsento, was a member of the postwar international jet set, hopping from beach to mountain to city. His fashion career began unexpectedly in 1947, when he created a revolutionary stretch ski outfit that was photographed on the Swiss slopes for Harper’s Bazaar.
Eschewing a life of aristocratic glamour, the self-taught Pucci opened a boutique on Capri dedicated to simple resort clothing (think capri pants) that evoked the Mediterranean’s undulating waves and refreshingly bright colors. At the time, luxury fashion was as constricted as a Dior cocktail dress, but the Swinging Sixties were on the horizon. Signed with what Vogue International editor Suzy Menkes calls a “handwritten ‘Emilio’ flourish” — a concept, she points out, as novel as that of designer ready-to-wear — his designs were soon seen on celebrities like Jackie Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
From the airline uniforms he created for Braniff in the 1960s to the emblem he crafted for the Apollo XV space mission in 1971, Pucci’s designs were visionary. In spite of his traditional roots (or because of them), the Prince of Prints was forward thinking and outward looking. Pucci put his signature flourish on patterns that were flexible — first for fashion, then for furnishings and objects. Whether on fabric or foam, shelves or sails, as he first explained some 70 years ago, the ornamental designs work in “continuous motion.” Venturing into nontraditional design partnerships, he laid the groundwork for a future brand, a classic legacy that his daughter Laudomia Pucci continues today.
Find vintage Emilio Pucci evening dresses, scarves, skirts and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1960s Mamselle by Betty Carol Black and White Houndstooth Wool 60s A Line DressBy Betty CarolLocated in San Diego, CAChic MAMSELLE by BETTY CAROL black and white wool mini houndstooth print A-Line wool dress ! Features a pretty scooped v-neck with black embroidery. Empire style waist with embroider...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Jill Richards Black + Nude Silk Chiffon French Lace Vintage 80s DressBy Jill RichardsLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful Avant Garde 1980s JILL RICHARDS black and nude French lace and silk chiffon long sleeve cocktail dress ! Features a nude underlay on the bodice, with black French lace over...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Egon Von Furstenberg Black + Grey Abstract Print Vintage 80s Sweater DressLocated in San Diego, CARare and so chic 1980s EGON VON FURSTENBERG black and gray / white abstract print double breasted long sleeve sweater dress ! Egon Von Furstenberg was a French prince whom married Di...Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Hand Painted Reversible Red + Gold + Green Vintage 80s Avant Garde DressLocated in San Diego, CAAvant Garde 1980s hand painted gold, red, and hunter forest green long sleeve reversible dress ! This dress was brilliantly designed to wear either the zipper in the front or the bac...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Beautiful New Luca Luca Royal Blue + Gold Velvet And Lace Cocktail Dress NWTBy LUCA LUCALocated in San Diego, CABeautiful LUCA LUCA Couture cocktail dress! Stunning royal blue crushed velvet, with striking french lace at bodice, etched in metallic gold. Brand new, with tags--Retailed for $890 ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses$465 Sale Price20% Off
- J Mendel Size 8 Early 2000s Brown Silk Chiffon Beaded Grecian Style Evening GownBy J MendelLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful Grecian inspired J MENDEL brown silk chiffon beaded evening gown ! This dress features the perfect brown color that is great for anytime of year. From Mendel's first RTW co...Category
Early 2000s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty DressBy Moschino Jeans, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 18.1...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet Dress From 1989 Collection. Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black DressBy Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 18...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
How Fashion Icon Emilio Pucci Became the Prince of Psychedelic Prints
The Italian design icon set the course for creating a comprehensive lifestyle brand.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery