- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gorgeous Vintage Bob Mackie for Amen Wardy Black Jersey Rhinestone Grecian Gown
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$70 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 7-9 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Bob Mackie (Designer)
Vintage Bob Mackie dresses are a fashion favorite, and with good reason. The legendary Monterey, California–born fashion designer has accrued an enviable list of awards that speak to his unparalleled influence on costumes for screen and theatrical performances: Mackie (b. 1939) has nine Emmy awards to his name, a Tony award, a CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award, three Academy Award nominations and more.
As a child, Mackie was enamored of Portuguese-born Brazilian dancer and actress Carmen Miranda. The love of film shared by his sister and mother proved contagious for Mackie, and he marveled at the richness and beauty he found in ballet. He wasn’t interested in fashion so much as he was in entertainment and went on to fortunately find work in television during the 1960s, specifically in programming that seemed to encompass all of what he’d grown to love about the arts.
As a fashion sketch artist, Mackie collaborated with Hollywood’s greatest costume designers, working with the legendary Edith Head at Paramount Studios as soon as he’d finished school. From there, he secured work with French-born, Hollywood costume designer Jean Louis, sketching the iconic Louis dress worn by Marilyn Monroe when she sang “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” to John F. Kennedy in 1962.
Mackie would spend most of his career as a costume designer, creating iconic pieces like the Gone With the Wind parody costume (currently in the Smithsonian) for The Carol Burnett Show — where he worked for more than a decade — and campy, opulent dresses for The Cher Show on Broadway, for which he won the Tony award. But he had a considerable influence on mainstream fashion as well. The figure-hugging, feathered and fringed gowns and cocktail dresses he designed were worn by stars like Cher and Diana Ross on the red carpet and concert tours. Similar designs of his — dazzling evening dresses of black or vibrant red silk, some beaded with rhinestones or embellished with ostrich feathers or navy blue sequins — made their way into Mackie’s mainstream fashion collection. His ready-to-wear line debuted in 1982.
Bob Mackie has always said that his clothes were “for the woman who is not afraid to be noticed,” and any woman in one of his signature dresses would definitely turn heads. There is sparkle and an element of grandeur in his garments, whether they were crafted for singer Elton John, a universally renowned fashion icon in his own right, or the woman next door, donning one of Mackie’s spectacular creations and feeling like a movie star herself.
Shop vintage Bob Mackie dresses, gowns and more on 1stDibs.
- By Amen WardyLocated in Chicago, ILExtraordinary vintage mid 1980s AMEN WARDY black and white hand painted harlequin novelty print jersey dress! Fe...Category
1980s Cocktail DressesSize: Small - Large$1,450
- By Amen WardyLocated in Chicago, ILAvant Garde 1980s ARMEN WARDY yellow, black, marigold and white strapless silk mini dress! Features abstract flo...Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- By Bob MackieLocated in Chicago, ILBeautiful vintage 90s BOB MACKIE black silk chiffon hi-lo dress! Hundreds of hand-sewn silver beads throughout. ...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- By Bob MackieLocated in Chicago, ILBeautiful and flattering brand new with original store tags vintage BOB MACKIE black and white color block Size ...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Gowns
- By Bob MackieLocated in Chicago, ILBeautiful vintage 90s BOB MACKIE black velvet sleeveless evening gown! Features a flattering satin lined sweethe...Category
1990s Evening Gowns
- By Bob MackieLocated in Chicago, ILBeautiful vintage BOB MACKIE mid 1990s gray beaded / sequined silk and mesh sleeveless gown! I don’t know which ...Category
1990s Evening Gowns