John Galliano 'Filibuster' tailcoat and bias-cut silk slip dress set, ss 1993
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 (EU)
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140218363932
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage John Galliano evening dresses and gowns, handbags, jackets and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Dolce & Gabbana tiger print and denim 3-piece skirt suit, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana 3-piece skirt suit ▪ Fitted jacket in black denim with red contrast topstitch ▪ Bra-top with open back and tiger-print front with sequins ▪ Low-rise maxi skirt w...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood pink floral printed maxi skirt and blouse ensemble, ss 2001By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood pink floral printed ensemble. Maxi skirt and draped blouse with asymmetric cut. Spring-Summer 2001Category
Early 2000s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano 'Dolores' showpiece evening skirt suit, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano showpiece evening skirt suit ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ 'Dolores', Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Jacket constructed from Angora wool ▪ Voluminous ruffle...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Gianni Versace navy blue open-knit bodycon dress and cardigan set, fw 1993By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace navy blue open-knit dress and cardigan 2 piece set ▪ Sleeveless bodycon maxi dress with lining ▪ Long-sleeve full-length cardigan ▪ Gold Medusa buttons ▪ Can be wo...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana leopard print silk coat, pants and bra ensemble, ss 1997By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana leopard print ensemble ▪ Brown leopard printed silk ▪ Lightweight floor-length single-breasted coat ▪ High-waisted straight leg trousers ▪ Matching nylon bra to...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Martin Margiela strapless dress and thigh high boots runway ensemble, ss 2008By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Martin Margiela runway ensemble ▪ Strapless rayon double-layered dress ▪ Wild horse print ▪ Black leather thigh-high sandal boots ▪ Dress: IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 ▪ Boots: Eu...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- NEW Chanel Black Silk Dress Jewelled Buttons & Jacket Coat Suit Ensemble OutfitBy ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA modern but classic version of the famous little black dress by Chanel Consisting of two pieces, dress and coat Dress features a deep V n...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Dress and Coat Ensembles$2,399 Sale Price40% Off
- NEW Dolce Gabbana Corset Dress & Coat Suit Ensemble Frayed Exotic TrimmingBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Dolce & Gabbana dress Boned corset for a perfect, body-hugging fit Woven fabric Fringe trimming Matching coat with exotic skin trimming Beautiful details Made in Italy Dry C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles$4,124 Sale Price25% Off
- YVES SAINT LAURENT Tom Ford S/S 2003 2 Pc Black Top Skirt Dress Set YSLBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Thiensville, WIYVES SAINT LAURENT S/S 2003 Rive Gauche (by Tom Ford) 2 Pc Black Long Sleeve Top Skirt Dress Set Brand / Manufacturer: Yves Saint Laurent Collection: S/S 2003 Designer: Tom Ford Sty...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirt Suits$776 Sale Price40% Off
- Couture Mingolini Gugenheim Vintage Beaded Dress+ JacketLocated in Sparks, NVSpectacular two-piece dress and jacket set by Italian couture house Mingolini Gugenheim. Both pieces are meticulously hand beaded with tiny sparkli...Category
1960s Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Rich Purple Taffeta Ruffle Skirt SetBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBWell documented, this is an absolutely classic and desirable piece of Yves Saint Laurent evening wear dating from 1978-1983. The designer revisited this look several times during the...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Tom Ford Beaded Tulle Zebra Skirt with Black Fringe TopBy Tom FordLocated in Montgomery, TXTom Ford Beaded Tulle Zebra Skirt with Black Fringe Top The skirt is fully beaded and IT Size 38 The top is XS Incredibly set! ( we also included a coupl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Skirt Suits$4,712 Sale Price35% Off
- 20th Century Luigi Massoni Poltrona Frau Dilly Dally Vanity Dressing Table, 60sBy Poltrona Frau, Luigi MassoniLocated in Turin, TurinDressing table model Dilly Dally designed by Luigi Massoni for Poltrona Frau in 1960s. The dressing table is composed of two pieces, one round armchair (which alone measures 70 x 65 x 60 cm) and the table itself with space for accessories and a round mirror. It has a wooden structure with faux leather upholstery, chrome metal, mirrored crystal and Abs. The upholstery is completely restored in light brown faux leather and in good condition. The two pieces can be easily moved thanks to wheels. Presence of the original brand mark as shown in photos. Published in: - Domus n. 466, settembre 1968; - Domus n. 488, luglio 1970, p. 40; - G. Gramigna, Repertorio del design italiano...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Faux Leather, Mirror
- Vintage Rare 1970's Tura Double Rim Brown Lenses Sunglasses Made in JapanBy Aldo TuraLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandRare Vintage Tura oversized sunglasses circa 1970's by Tura. This is a seldom and rare piece not only for its aesthetic value but for its importance in the sunglasses and fashion ...Category
1970s French Sunglasses
- Antique Set of (6) French Botanicals from a Monastery School that Opened in 1892Located in Chicago, ILAntique set of (6) French pressed botanicals dating from the late 1800's to the early 1900's (larger and smaller sets are available through 1stdibs). Our extensive collection of antique French pressed botanicals came out of a monastery school that opened in 1892. When the school closed, we were fortunate enough to be able to acquire their entire collection of antique French botanicals, along with their mineral collection...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Country Natural SpecimensMaterials
- Josef Frank for Svenskt Tenn Early Edition 'Flora' CabinetBy Svenskt Tenn, Josef FrankLocated in Waalwijk, NLJosef Frank for Svenskt Tenn, cabinet ‘Flora’, early edition model 852, mahogany, oak, hand-colored paper, Sweden, designed circa 1937/38, produced 1946/47s. This cabinet follows Frank’s idea to design the surfaces of cabinets in a different, uncommon way. In the early 1930s Frank began to cover cubic cabinets...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
Paper, Mahogany, Oak
- Exclusive And Iconic Beetle Brooch in 18 Karat Yellow Gold And Ebony WoodBy Eva SoussanaLocated in Paris, FREva Soussana and her partner the "Atelier Franck Mico", are proud to introduce to you the "Helmet" Beetle, an exclusive and iconic piece created by Eva Soussana and Franck Mico, manu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Artist BroochesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$42,404Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery