- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
S/S 1987 Paco Rabanne Haute Couture Runway Sheer Embroidered Ruffle Gown
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 63 in (160.02 cm)Bust: 35 in (88.9 cm)Waist: 26 in (66.04 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388217220682
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/W 2001 Paco Rabanne Runway Buckle Sheer Panel Black Bodycon Y2K GownBy Paco RabanneLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous black sleeveless gown designed by Paco Rabanne for his Fall/Winter 2001 runway collection. This elegant form-fitting dress features a high neckline a...Category
Early 2000s French Maxi Dresses$2,636 Sale Price20% Off
- 1990s Paco Rabanne Haute Couture Black Ostrich Leather Chain Accent Skirt SuitBy Paco RabanneLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an incredible black ostrich leather Paco Rabanne Haute Couture skirt set. From the early 1990s, this absolutely stu...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits$4,796 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2000 Gianni Versace by Donatella Runway Sheer Black Lace Halter DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful black Gianni Versace halterneck lace dress, designed by Donatella Versace. From the Fall/Winter 2000 collection, this dress debuted on the season’s ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- S/S 2000 Gianni Versace by Donatella Black Stretch Viscose Rhinestone Y2K DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful black collared Gianni Versace Couture dress, designed by Donatella Versace. From the Spring/Summer 2000 collection, a nearly identical version of this dress debuted on the season's runway as look 3 modeled by Gisele Bündchen. Featuring a collar, plunging neckline, and long sleeves, this dress is made complete with iridescent crystal closures down the front and at the cuffs as well as a tie closure around the waist. The perfectly sexy Y2K Versace dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1999 Gianni Versace by Donatella Red Sequin Embellished Logo Strap DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a bright red Gianni Versace Couture dress, designed by Donatella Versace. From the Spring/Summer 1999 collection, this dress is covered in square sequin embelli...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- F/W 2002 Gianni Versace by Donatella Runway Sheer Purple Strapless Quilted DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a purple print quilted strapless Gianni Versace Couture dress, designed by Donatella Versace. This gorgeous dress debuted on the Fall/Winter 2002 runway as look...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Paco Rabanne 1985 "House of Medici" Haute Couture Gown Museum CollectorsBy Paco RabanneLocated in Los Angeles, CA1985 Paco Rabanne Couture one-of-a-kind gown fashioned of silk velvet with bolero of heavily embroidered soutache and sequins in a floral motif...Category
1980s Court Gowns
- Vintage 1976 Sonny & Cher Documented Custom-Made Bob Mackie Sequin Gown Suit SetBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CAOwn a major slice of celebrity history! Two important, well-documented Sonny & Cher worn garments custom made for their 1976-77 promotional pictures and Westchester/Harrah's performances. The legendary costume designer Ret Turner...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Haute Couture Green Velvet Dress with Belt, "VAMPIRE DRESS" 1981.By Thierry Mugler CoutureLocated in New York, NYThierry Mugler Haute Couture Green Velvet Dress with Belt, "VAMPIRE DRESS" 1981. Off the shoulder puff-sleeve green velvet dress featuring fitted inne...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1978 Bob Mackie for Mitzi Gaynor Documented Sequin Feather Dance CostumeBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Bob Mackie designed sequin illusion dance costume made for Mitzi Gaynor's 1978 television special "What's Hot, What's Not". She finds hers...Category
1970s American Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1992 Gianni Versace Couture Documented Black Bondage Silk Leather GownBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace black leather, silk & lace heavily sculpted bondage gown dating back to his 1992 fall-winter runway collection. This iconic collection, provocatively titled 'Miss S&M' definitely goes down in history as one of Gianni Versace's most recognizable looks. Versace’s fantasies came to life, fetishistic elements were worked into glamorous eveningwear, and with no small effort: Vogue said, “Getting strapped required eight hands. These high-maintenance looks were meant to be seen, not in a dungeon somewhere, but on the red carpet." As shown, this particular show-stopper of a gown, Look #62, has been worn by the likes of Christy Turlington, Tyra Banks...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk evening dress and cocoon coat set, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress and coat set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Red and cream floral printed evening dress with train ▪ Red silk jacquard reversible cocoon coat ▪ Persian lamb collar ▪ Gold metal chain fringes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1964 Balenciaga Haute Couture Metallic Pink Beaded Silk Strapless DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning and incredibly rare Balenciaga metallic-gold brocaded pink silk evening dress from his 1964 Spring-Summer collection. Cristobal Balenciaga began his life's work in fashion...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage F/W 1999 Gianni Versace Runway Sheer Beaded Black Silk Gown DressBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1999 Gianni Versace runway CONDITION: Good condition- minor bead/sequin loss- not noticeable as it is minor and the dress is drenched in embellishments. Wear on hem of ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Gowns
- Paco Rabanne Beaded Caftan GownBy Paco RabanneLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis dress is a beautiful 1980's Paco Rabanne. Paco Rabbane will always be remembered for his experimentation with unconventional materials like plastic, neon and metal. His designs ...Category
1980s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Logo Chainmail Metal Harness DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Logo Chainmail Metal Harness Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.18 inches (33.5 cm) Bust: 17.12 inches (43.5 cm) Waist: 15.35 inches (39 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 37 inches (94 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic PACO RABANNE. - Iconic Paco...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- PACO RABANNE Gold Rhodoid Disc Do It Yourself DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsacePACO RABANNE Gold Rhodoid Disc Do It Yourself Dress SIZE: 36/ 38 (mannequin is size 36) Features: - The discs are in pale gold tone linked with jump rings. - PACO RABANNE metal t...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses
- Paco Rabanne 60's Inspired Modern Version of Brigitte Bardot Chain Mail DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Los Angeles, CAA Paco Rabanne striped chain mail dress, as seen modeled by Brigitte Bardot in the 1960's (see photo). This modern version, with inspiration from...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses$5,760 Sale Price20% Off
- Paco Rabanne Gold Chainmail DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Brossard, QCFabric straps that merge into sides and collar Lace-up sides Gold-tone snap button closure Cream laces and gold eyelets Unlined A-line skirt silhouette Heavyweight material Button-...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Early PACO RABANNE Vintage Silver Gold Evening Prom Grown Metal DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in PARIS, FRImportant Early PACO RABANNE vintage gown dress. 4 pieces of PACO RABANNE metal tag at the buttoms of the dress. Wonderful silhouette. VERY G...Category
1970s French Ball Gowns$5,440Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery