Vivienne Westwood "Mini Crini" ensemble, S / S 1985
About the Item
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vivienne Westwood 'Voyage to Cythera' harlequin leggings and shirt set, fw 1989By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood harlequin ensemble. Loose fit cotton shirt and high waist fitted leggings. ''Voyage to Cythera'' Fall-Winter 1989Category
1980s British Trouser Pant Suits
- Junya Watanabe floral cotton dress with harness straps and backpack, ss 2003By Junya WatanabeLocated in London, GB▪ Junya Watanabe cotton dress ▪ All-over floral pattern with pale blue background ▪ Puff sleeves ▪ Adjustable white harness straps ▪ Detachable backpack ▪ Double layered skirt ▪...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Day Dresses
- Vivienne Westwood 'Cut, Slash & Pull' blue voile oversized shirt dress, ss 1991By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood; dusty blue cotton voile oversized blouse with large bishop sleeves, pointed collar, and ascending hemline from front. Signature slashes throughout the whole blouse...Category
1990s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Roberto Cavalli cream silk zodiac print evening dress with gold chain, fw 2003By Roberto CavalliLocated in London, GB▪ Roberto Cavalli evening dress ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from bias-cut cream silk with a zodiac print featuring imagery of chains and roses ▪ Gold-tone metal ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vivienne Westwood evening maxi dress with cupid print, fw 1991By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Vivienne Westwood evening maxi dress ▪ Lycra printed with a detail from Jean-Honore Fragonard's "The Swarm of Cupids", c. 1767 ▪ Short sleeves ▪ Figure hugging ▪ Size: "3" ...Category
1990s English Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New Emilio Pucci Purple Knit Stretch Sheath DressBy Emilio PucciLocated in San Francisco, CAEmilio Pucci Purple stretch knit dress with boat neck and H shaped panel detail at front. Back zip and hook and eye. Branded 'Pucci' at zipper. Please no...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Pierre Cardin iconic 60s vintage sleeves & midriff transparent mesh white dressBy Pierre CardinLocated in Antwerp, BEPierre Cardin " the man who dresses the future" It is so rare to get your hands on these iconic vintage 1960s Pierre Cardin pieces, especially in pristine conditions like this. We ar...Category
1960s French Day Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana Lace up Silk SkirtBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous light grey stretch silk skirt from Dolce & Gabbana. It is a pencil style skirt with horizontal ruching across the front and back. There is functional lacing along the ce...Category
2010s Italian Skirts
Recently ViewedView All
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.