- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Azzedine Alaia Black Bolero Top w/Scalloped Edges
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Master Couturier, King of Cling: legendary fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa (1935–2017) is known by many names, each referring to his unparalleled ability to mold fabric onto the female form in unexpected and radical ways. The Tunisian-born designer spent his entire life in relentless pursuit of a wholly distinctive and most-flattering fit.
“For me, fashion is the body,” said Alaïa. “I make clothes; women make fashion.”
Alaïa is credited with inventing the supermodel through his exclusive fashion shows, the body-con dress — which, quite literally, hugs the body and emphasizes and embraces every curve — and pioneering what industry professionals have taken to calling “slow fashion.” The designer openly rejected empty, of-the-moment fads as well as the structure of biannual seasons and instead took his time, unhurried by press and releasing collections at his own pace. Most importantly, Alaïa was a visionary when it came to traditional notions of femininity and sexuality. At a time when loose, soft silhouettes were the norm, Alaïa’s sexy, waist-cinching hourglass and body-con outfits were shocking.
Alaïa’s “body-conscious clothes,” wrote fashion critic Suzy Menkes, “seemed a deliberate challenge — throwing down a sexist gauntlet in a feminist world.”
While powerful women such as Madonna, Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington wear Alaïa’s creations today, his origins were remarkably humble.
Born to a farming family, Alaïa always had a creative streak. As a young boy, he would flip through women’s fashion magazines and quickly became interested in the design of women's clothing. He went on to study sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Tunis and later worked as a tailor for a dressmaker before he found work creating garments based on Parisian haute couture designs. The combination of his classical training in sculpture and practical experience as a tailor convinced Alaïa that fashion was his calling. In 1957, he moved to Paris and worked for Christian Dior for less than a week before being fired. From there, Alaïa secured a job with Guy Laroche and opened his own maison in the 1970s.
At his core, Alaïa was a couturier who cut and sewed his samples himself. He also experimented with zips, seams, unexpected materials, textures, animal prints and floral patterns like an artist. Today, Alaïa’s clothes look untouched by the passage of time and the various trends that have materialized since their debut; they are as fresh, stylish and stunning as ever. His garments are pop-culture icons in their own right: Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone in 1995’s Clueless, exasperated with a perpetrator holding her at gunpoint, declares, “But this is an Alaïa!”
Vintage Alaïa evening dresses, skirts and other attire continue to influence contemporary designers such as Nicolas Ghesquière and Hervé Léger. Not only are his clothes timeless in their glamour, but they also represent the groundbreaking vision of an artist, one who was known to proclaim, “I am not a designer. I am a couturier.”
- Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere Black Leather & Wool Motorcycle JacketLocated in Los Angeles, CABalenciaga by Ghesquiere black biker or flight style jacket w/leather sleeves and wool blend bodice and cuffs. In excellent condition. Size EU 38. MEASUREMENTS: Bust - 36" Waist -...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Haute Couture "Le Smoking" Tuxedo Jacket & Skirt No.64222By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CA1980's Yves Saint Laurent haute couture Le Smoking black wool tuxedo jacket and skirt. In excellent condition. Please see measurements - if skirt measurements are desired, please inq...Category
- Chanel Black Faux Fur & Bead Vest w/Dramatic CollarBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAChanel black faux fur vest dotted with black shiny hanging beads, hook and eye closure and decorative black metal and enamel CC logo button at closure. In excellent condition. Size 4...Category
Early 2000s Vests
- Versace Spring Summer Black Leather Fringed Jacket with Lace Up Back , 2002By Gianni VersaceLocated in Los Angeles, CAA 2002 Spring/Summer Gianni Versace black lambskin leather fringed jacket with lace up back. There is leather braiding at the seams and 4" fringe at the cuffs and hem. The jacket ha...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- 1970's Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Velvet Russian Collection Jacket w/Silk TiesBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CA1970's Yves Saint Laurent Russian collection black velvet jacket with Pierrot collar and black silk cord neck ties. In excellent condition - size tag 40.Category
- Lanvin Black & White Striped Jacket w/Peplum WaistBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Lanvin black and white striped silk and cotton blend jacket with peplum waist and oversized black button closures at a diagonal at center front. In excellent condition - size...Category