Valentino Jacket L'Amour Raspberry Red Size 4 Small
About the Item
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Portland, OR
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Anne Klein for Robinson & Golluber Vintage Red Felted Mohair Blend Cape W HoodBy Anne KleinLocated in Portland, ORThis is a late 1970's or early 1980's gorgeous rich red mohair blend cape with a hood from Anne Klein for Robinson & Golluber. The cape closes at the neck with a single wood button ...Category
1980s American Capes
- Vintage Escada Margaretha Ley Red Mohair Alpaca Wool Coat With PocketsBy Escada, Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORWe love this incredible red oversized Escada vintage coat, designed by Margaretha Ley. The red blend 30% Lama 25% New Wool 25% Alpaca 20% Mohair. is slightly felted and textured. Thi...Category
1980s German Coats
- Vintage Red Silk Avant Garde Oversized Mens Style Jacket with TopstitchingLocated in Portland, ORThis is a fabulous red topstitched textured silk avant garde jacket custom made in Thailand. This jacket has a narrow hip fit with a wider upper body....Category
1980s Thai Jackets
- Pierre Cardin Red Vintage Avant Garde JacketBy Pierre CardinLocated in Portland, ORThis is such an incredible, unique avant garde jacket created by Pierre Cardin. This fabulous wool jacket is double breasted with two large black buttons in front that attach to the dramatic criss-crossing pointed front hem pieces. This creates a wonderful plunge neckline, and incredible triangle shapes at the hem. It is made of a beautiful crimson red wool crepe, and fully lined in red silk. This jacket has the Pierre Cardin Boutique...Category
Late 20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage Gianfranco Ferre Raspberry Red Wool Cashmere Blend CoatBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Portland, ORThis luxe raspberry Gianfranco Ferre coat is fully lined and feels like a cashmere wool blend. This elegant coat closes with a single button at the waist an...Category
1990s Italian Coats
- Vintage Escada Margaretha Ley Blue Blazer With Avant Garde Geometric DesignBy Escada, Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis is a rare Escada vintage blazer with geometric designs reminiscent of Thierry Mugler's style! This pale blue jacket has dramatic dark blue triangles at the waist and under the c...Category
Late 20th Century German Blazers
- Chic Vintage Sparkly Red BlazerLocated in Milano, ITSparkling red cotton blazer designed in the 1990s, made in Italy. The blazer has the classic elegant cut with soft long sleeve and a fuzzy stand collar, which closes centrally by 2 ...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Mario Valentino for Amen Wardy Vintage Red + Pink Suede Leather JacketBy Amen Wardy, Mario ValentinoLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous soft suede leather jacket with pink leather window pane design and double breasted front closure. Structured collar, grandpa buttons and ...Category
Late 20th Century American Jackets
- Donald Brooks 1960s Vintage Plaid Wool Jacket with Leather Bobble ButtonsBy Donald BrooksLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous tailored plaid jacket by Donald Brooks in a vibrant plaid. Black leather bobble buttons and couture hand stitched detailing. Medium weight wool. Details: Fully Lined Side ...Category
1960s American Jackets
- Moschino Vintage 1990s Red + Black Color Block JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Sparks, NVVintage two-tone color block jacket in red and black by Cheap and Chic by Moschino. Fully lined with front button closure. Velcro closure at collar and on sides. Fabric: 52% Rayon/ 4...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- 1960s Teal Traina Lipstick Red Mod Vintage Early 60s Wool Swing JacketBy Geoffrey Beene, Teal TrainaLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1960s TEAL TRAINA by GEOFFREY BEENE lipstick red swing jacket ! Features the perfect lipstick red color with black and gold deco buttons up the front...Category
1960s American Single-Breasted Jackets
- 1990s Yves Saint Laurent YSL Lipstick Red Linen Vintage 90s Blazer JacketBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAChic early 90s YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche lipstick red linen smoking blazer jacket ! Features a vibrant red color that is perfect anytime of year. Gunmetal metal button at center...Category
1990s French Blazers