Moschino Vintage 1990s Red + Black Color Block Jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 19 in (48.26 cm)Marked Size: I 44/ US 10/ GB 12 Medium (US)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Style:Gianni Versace (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Material Notes:Cheap and Chic by Moschino, Iconic, Red, Black, Jacket, Cartoon, Color Block, Blocking, Velcro, 1990s, 90s, Runway, Italy, Italian Fashion Designer, Unique, Vintage, Authentic, Pre-owned, Used
- Seller Location:Sparks, NV
- Reference Number:Seller: 1D-14701stDibs: LU386945472
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Donald Brooks 1960s Vintage Plaid Wool Jacket with Leather Bobble ButtonsBy Donald BrooksLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous tailored plaid jacket by Donald Brooks in a vibrant plaid. Black leather bobble buttons and couture hand stitched detailing. Medium weight wool. Details: Fully Lined Side ...Category
1960s American Jackets
- Mario Valentino for Amen Wardy Vintage Red + Pink Suede Leather JacketBy Mario Valentino, Amen WardyLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous soft suede leather jacket with pink leather window pane design and double breasted front closure. Structured collar, grandpa buttons and ...Category
Late 20th Century American Jackets
- Moschino Leather Vintage Metallic Gold Color Block Motorcycle Jacket, 1990sBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Sparks, NVSoft buttery leather color block motorcycle jacket by Moschino in like new condition. This looks unworn! Amazing C&C (Cheap & Chic) stitched waistband and iconic heart buckle. This j...Category
1990s Italian Bomber Jackets
- Moschino Vintage Quilted Denim Biker Jacket with Bottle Cap AppliquesBy MoschinoLocated in Sparks, NVVintage quilted denim biker jacket by Moschino jeans with bottle cap appliques. Details: Fully Lined Front Pockets Shoulder Pads Sewn Into Lining Front Metal Zip Closure M...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Sarmi 1960s Vintage Red Plaid CoatBy Ferdinando SarmiLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous vintage Sarmi for I. Magnin red plaid coat with a drop waist, 3/4 length sleeves and a matching sash belt. Beautifully constructed with couture hand stitched detailing throu...Category
1960s American Swing Coats
- Gianni Versace Vintage 1980s Brown Plaid Linen/ Cotton Asymmetric Blazer JacketBy Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Sparks, NVUnique brown and beige plaid oversized blazer jacket by Gianni Versace in a linen/ cotton blend. Made in Italy. Details Unlined Front button closure Circa: 1980s Label: Gian...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- 1960s Teal Traina Lipstick Red Mod Vintage Early 60s Wool Swing JacketBy Geoffrey Beene, Teal TrainaLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1960s TEAL TRAINA by GEOFFREY BEENE lipstick red swing jacket ! Features the perfect lipstick red color with black and gold deco buttons up the front...Category
1960s American Single-Breasted Jackets
- Pierre Cardin Red Vintage Avant Garde JacketBy Pierre CardinLocated in Portland, ORThis is such an incredible, unique avant garde jacket created by Pierre Cardin. This fabulous wool jacket is double breasted with two large black buttons in front that attach to the dramatic criss-crossing pointed front hem pieces. This creates a wonderful plunge neckline, and incredible triangle shapes at the hem. It is made of a beautiful crimson red wool crepe, and fully lined in red silk. This jacket has the Pierre Cardin Boutique...Category
Late 20th Century French Jackets
- J. MENDEL Salmon Red Silk Evening Coat - Size 6By J MendelLocated in San Francisco, CAThis gorgeous J. MENDEL evening coat comes in a salmon red matte silk and features a high, round neck with band collar, hidden placket snap closure, three q...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Coats and Outerwear
- 1960s Abercrombie & Fitch Orange Linen Vintage 60s Cropped JacketBy Abercrombie & FitchLocated in San Diego, CAChic and rare 1960s ABERCROMBIE & FITCH orange linen cropped jacket! Features luxurious soft Irish linen and original mother of pearl round buttons up the front. Can easily be dresse...Category
1960s American Cropped Jackets
- Valentino Jacket L'Amour Raspberry Red Size 4 SmallBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis beautiful Valentino jacket is in a raspberry red wool angora blend and is lined in silk. The jacket has a fabric belt and is double breasted. The Valentino L...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Vintage 1990 Geoffrey Beene Red & Pink Wool Cropped Zip-Up Sportswear JacketBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA chic and timeless garment that takes the "sportswear" concept to a whole new level! Geoffrey Beene made strong impressions with his courteous manner as well as his highly original ...Category
1990s American Sport Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery