Azzedine Alaia nude suede boots, A/W 1989
Master Couturier, King of Cling: legendary fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa (1935–2017) is known by many names, each referring to his unparalleled ability to mold fabric onto the female form in unexpected and radical ways. The Tunisian-born designer spent his entire life in relentless pursuit of a wholly distinctive and most-flattering fit.
“For me, fashion is the body,” said Alaïa. “I make clothes; women make fashion.”
Alaïa is credited with inventing the supermodel through his exclusive fashion shows, the body-con dress — which, quite literally, hugs the body and emphasizes and embraces every curve — and pioneering what industry professionals have taken to calling “slow fashion.” The designer openly rejected empty, of-the-moment fads as well as the structure of biannual seasons and instead took his time, unhurried by press and releasing collections at his own pace. Most importantly, Alaïa was a visionary when it came to traditional notions of femininity and sexuality. At a time when loose, soft silhouettes were the norm, Alaïa’s sexy, waist-cinching hourglass and body-con outfits were shocking.
Alaïa’s “body-conscious clothes,” wrote fashion critic Suzy Menkes, “seemed a deliberate challenge — throwing down a sexist gauntlet in a feminist world.”
While powerful women such as Madonna, Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington wear Alaïa’s creations today, his origins were remarkably humble.
Born to a farming family, Alaïa always had a creative streak. As a young boy, he would flip through women’s fashion magazines and quickly became interested in the design of women's clothing. He went on to study sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Tunis and later worked as a tailor for a dressmaker before he found work creating garments based on Parisian haute couture designs. The combination of his classical training in sculpture and practical experience as a tailor convinced Alaïa that fashion was his calling. In 1957, he moved to Paris and worked for Christian Dior for less than a week before being fired. From there, Alaïa secured a job with Guy Laroche and opened his own maison in the 1970s.
At his core, Alaïa was a couturier who cut and sewed his samples himself. He also experimented with zips, seams, unexpected materials, textures, animal prints and floral patterns like an artist. Today, Alaïa’s clothes look untouched by the passage of time and the various trends that have materialized since their debut; they are as fresh, stylish and stunning as ever. His garments are pop-culture icons in their own right: Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone in 1995’s Clueless, exasperated with a perpetrator holding her at gunpoint, declares, “But this is an Alaïa!”
Vintage Alaïa evening dresses, skirts and other attire continue to influence contemporary designers such as Nicolas Ghesquière and Hervé Léger. Not only are his clothes timeless in their glamour, but they also represent the groundbreaking vision of an artist, one who was known to proclaim, “I am not a designer. I am a couturier.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Dolce & Gabbana tan and brown leather platform sandals, sz 39By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana tan and brown leather platform sandals ca. 1990-1999Category
1990s Italian Shoes
- Manolo Blahnik black goat hair knee high five inch heeled boots, fw 2010By Manolo BlahnikLocated in London, GB▪ Manolo Blahnik black goat hair knee-high boots ▪ Five inch leather heels ▪ Leather soles ▪ EU 40 - UK 7 - US 10 ▪ Fall-Winter 2010Category
Early 2000s Italian Boots
- Hussein Chalayan Autumn-Winter 2002 black leather bondage shoes with metal heelBy Hussein ChalayanLocated in London, GBHussein Chalayan Autumn-Winter 2002 black leather shoes with metal heelCategory
Early 2000s British Shoes
- Vivienne Westwood black leather platform buckle boots, ss 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood black leather platform buckle boots. UK 4 Salon, Spring-Summer 1992Category
1990s British Boots
- Azzedine Alaia black leather and crochet pointed heels, ca. 1985-1988By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBPancaldi for Azzedine Alaia ca. 1985-1988Category
- Gianni Versace black and gold Medusa silk platform sandals, S/S 1993By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace black silk platform sandals with bows and gold medusa coins. Velcro fastening. Spring-Summer 1993Category
1990s Italian Sandals
- New Eugenia Kim Yellow Python Sandals Flats Shoes Sz 39 U.S. 8.5By Eugenia KimLocated in Leesburg, VAEugenia Kim $975 * Yellow & Black Genuine Python Metal Accent Adjustable Ankle Strap * Eugenia Kim did a limited collection of stunning shoes, we were lucky to get a few pair! * Siz...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoes
- Gianvito Rossi Grey/Transparent PVC and Leather Plexi Pumps Size 40By Gianvito RossiLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Make a chic style statement with these designer pumps. They showcase sturdy heels and durable soles, perfect for your fashionable outings!Category
2010s Italian Heels
- Christian Louboutin Beige Leather Pigalle Spikes Pumps Size 39.5By Christian LouboutinLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Make a chic style statement with these designer pumps. They showcase sturdy heels and durable soles, perfect for your fashionable outings! Includes: Original DustbagCategory
2010s Italian Heels
- Louis Vuitton Beige/White Monogram Embossed Leather Flat Slides Size 40By Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2These well-crafted Louis Vuitton flats have got you covered for all-day plans. They come in a versatile design, and they look great on the feet. Includes: Original DustbagCategory
2010s Italian Sandals
- Dior Beige Mesh and Leather D Dior Mules Size 39By Christian DiorLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2A perfect blend of luxury, style, and comfort, these designer mules are made using quality materials and frame your feet in the most elegant way. They can be paired with a host of ou...Category
2010s Italian Sandals
- Gucci Cream Leather Embellished Bee Bow Ankle Strap Flat Sandals Size 41By GucciLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2These well-crafted designer flats have got you covered for all-day plans. They come in a versatile design, and they look great on the feet.Category
2010s Italian Sandals
Recently ViewedView All
Azzedine Alaïa Was a Couturier Who Thought Like a Sculptor
The first fashion exhibit to be held at the new London Design Museum celebrates the famed Tunisian-Parisian couturier's lifetime of work.
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.