Prada by Miuccia Prada Silver Metal Chain Fringed Evening Skirt, fw 2002
About the Item
The House of Savoy coat of arms and knotted rope on Prada’s seal herald that the iconic Italian luxury fashion house was named Official Supplier to the Italian Royal Household in 1919. Started in 1913 by Mario Prada, the brand’s original shop in Milan’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II still has the mahogany shelves that displayed its early wares such as travel items and handbags. Today, these fine leather goods are joined by the clothing, wallets and other various accessories that keep the brand on the cutting edge of fashion.
When Mario Prada’s granddaughter, Miuccia Prada (b. 1949), inherited the business from her mother in the late 1970s, Prada was recognized for its quality craftsmanship, yet it was still a modest-sized company. Miuccia, an enthusiast of unconventional Italian filmmakers who’d earned a Ph.D. in political science, introduced the concept of using pocone — a military-grade water-resistant nylon that feels like silk.
Nylon revolutionized the fashion house’s business, with the first Prada nylon backpack released to universal acclaim in 1984. Soon the durable, water-resistant material was incorporated into Prada’s ready-to-wear collections for both men and women. No one had previously considered nylon a part of luxury fashion, and it wasn’t long before the family-owned company best known for its luggage was leading modern style that emphasized function as much as form.
Characterized by clean lines and a refined elegance that signaled the new direction of the legacy brand, Miuccia Prada debuted her first ready-to-wear collection for women in Fall/Winter 1988. More inventive fashion would follow in the ensuing years, such as the 1993 launch of the more affordable, more playful Miu Miu line, which was aimed at a younger audience, and the introduction of Prada Sport in 1997 — a collection now widely seen as prescient for its embrace of athleisure.
Prada has regularly gone against the grain to elevate styles that have long been out of fashion. In 1996, there were dresses and skirts in clashing patterns and muted earth tones that seemed flat and outdated, all worn with chunky high wedge sandals. Fanny packs followed three years later, and elaborate lace in 2008. Each season continues to bring new eye-catching innovations for the historic brand, including enhanced attention to sustainability with Prada Re-Nylon, a new line of bags created from recycled ocean plastic.
Today, find a wide variety of vintage Prada evening dresses, bags and other items on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vivienne Westwood green harris-tweed 'Time Machine' skirt, fw 1988By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBPresenting the Vivienne Westwood green Harris tweed 'Time Machine' mini skirt, a remarkable creation from the Autumn-Winter 1988 collection that exemplifies the designer's daring and...Category
1990s British Skirts
- Christian Dior by John Galliano fw 2002By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pleated mini skirt ▪ Creative Director: John Galliano ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Fall-Winter 2002 ▪ Constructed from clay-coloured heavyweight silk with yello...Category
Early 2000s French Skirts
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Raw-Edge Pleated Leather Mini Wrap Skirt, fw 2003By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Archival Jean Paul Gaultier Leather Mini Skirt ▪ Fall-Winter 2003 ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from black leather ▪ Cartridge pleats ▪ Raw-edge hem ▪ Self-tie w...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirts
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld iridescent taffeta quilted evening maxi skirt, fw 1999By ChanelLocated in London, GBIntroducing an enchanting Chanel evening maxi skirt designed by Karl Lagerfeld. This exquisite piece is crafted from iridescent silk taffeta, exuding opulence and sophistication. The...Category
1990s French Skirts
- Dolce & Gabbana Renaissance printed silk dress with draped skirt, ss 1990By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana evening dress with draped skirt ▪ Print: Transfiguration by Raphael (1516–1520) ▪ Four ties attached at the waistband which can b...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia grey knitted wool skirt with leather harness, fw 1987By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBPresenting a captivating Alaia grey knitted wool high waist figure-hugging skirt from the autumn-winter 1987 collection. This skirt is a true testament to the brand's innovative desi...Category
1980s Italian Skirts
- Louis Vuitton Burgundy Lurex Silk Midi Skirt MBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This elegant LV skirt is worth adding to your closet! Crafted from fine materials, it is exquisitely designed into a flattering shape. Includes: Original HangerCategory
2010s Italian Skirts
- Vintage Navy Chanel Silk Maxi Skirt Size FR 44By ChanelLocated in New York, NYVintage navy pleated silk maxi skirt by Chanel. 31" waist, 34" hips, 33" length.Category
Late 20th Century European Pleated Skirts
- Givenchy Brown Leather Ruffle Accent Skirt Size MBy GivenchyLocated in London, GBCONDITION is Very good. Hardly any visible wear to skirt is evident on this used Givenchy designer resale item. Details Brown Leather Pencil skirt Ruffle accent ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Skirts
- Black cotton skirt with fur edge John GallianoBy John GallianoLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack cotton skirt with fur edge. Silk lining . Fur edge ( Orylag) Button, buttonhole and zip closure in the middle front. Cut-work and top-stitching. Split middle back= 23 cm SIZE...Category
Early 2000s Portuguese Skirts
- White & Multicolor Prada 2019 Silk Rose & Butterfly Print Skirt Size IT 46By PradaLocated in New York, NYWhite and multicolor 2019 silk rose and butterfly print skirt by Prada. Zip closure at center back. 32" waist, 40" hips, 28.5" length.Category
2010s European Skirts
- Louis Vuitton Wool Monogram Mid Length SkirtBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bressanone, ITLouis Vuitton mid-length black and white monogram wool and leather skirt. Size 34 FR. Condition: Excellent.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Skirts