- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gaultier Brown Embroidered Brocade Blazer
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 34 (EU)
- Style:Blazer (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. We consider this piece to be in excellent vintage condition.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4518126632
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage Dolce & Gabbana Denim Zip Front Jacket & pants Ensemble 2001By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Dolce & Gabbana blue denim western-style zip-up jacket and flared pant ensemble. Jacket and pants feature circular contrast top-stitching detail throughout and gold logo buck...Category
Early 2000s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Jean Paul Gaultier AW1990 Cutout Knit RomperBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Jean Paul Gaultier 1990 Cutout Knit Romper featuring button closures down the front, multicolor knit weave, and geometric multi-pat...Category
1990s French Jumpsuits
- Vintage Jean Paul Gaultier Bronze Metallic Jumpsuit & Cropped Jacket EnsembleBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Jean Paul Gaultier bronze metallic & black knit sleeveless jumpsuit with matching crop top / jacket featuring three-quarter length sleeves. The jumpsuit has a invisible zippe...Category
20th Century French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Jean Paul Gaultier Brown Check High Waisted Suspender ShortsBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Jean Paul Gaultier black and white check ultra-high waisted knee-length shorts with attached black suspenders and black lace at the hem. J...Category
1990s Italian Jumpsuits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Cropped Mini JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Jean Paul Gaultier black cropped mini jacket featuring puff sleeves, front buttons, and back zipper. Jean Paul Gaultier Size: Smal...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Rare Chanel Python Leather 2000 Runway Top & Pants EnsembleBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Chanel leather ensemble featuring a cropped sleeveless top with a silver metal CHANEL logo disc, and center back zipper. The matching pants...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Christian Dior by John Galliano teal double-layered knitted lace dress, ss 1999By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior teal slip dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Double-layered ▪ Fine knitted lace ▪ Antique gold lamé ribbon criss-cross appliqués ▪ Gold lurex underdress ▪ Two-t...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Spectacular Thierry Mugler Jacket Crystal Jewel Black Dramatic SculpturalBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BEICONIC extremely rare Thierry Mugler piece Museum worthy collectors piece Fabulous Thierry Mugler jacket with breathtaking crystal jewel details. Assuming FW 1992 collection. Dramat...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier red silk long sleeve corset, ss 2008By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier corset ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from red silk ▪ Full sleeves ▪ Off-shoulder neckline with drawstring ties ▪ Structured bodice with multip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood black leather corseted pants with crotch zipper, fw 1997By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black leather pants ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Metal crotch zipper ▪ High rise corseted waist ▪ Zippers at back leg ▪ FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ Fall-Winter 1997Category
1990s British Pants
- Christian Dior by John Galliano blue silk corset, fw 2001By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior blue silk corset top ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Gathered polka-dot silk organza stomacher with velvet bands ▪ Raw silk side and back panels ▪ Silk fringe trim ▪...Category
Early 2000s French Corsets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHThe Look No 67 (see pictures 2 & 3) of the 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Spring-Summer runway show, this amazing dress is cut from stretchy ribbed-mesh and refined nude silk chiffon. The m...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Alexander McQueen 1996 The Hunger White Cotton & Silk Asymmetrical Ruffled DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Portland, ORWe love vintage Alexander McQueen and he designed this dress for his Spring Summer 1996 collection. This beautiful white dress has a tube fitting bodice with spaghetti straps and fit...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Black Velvet Strapless GownBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis museum worthy dress by Thierry Mugler has the iconic bustier style top. Signs of wear inside with boning coming out in one area and a few signs of wear on the inside lining. Fro...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red floor-length dress and fur snood, fw 1999By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior black and red floor-length dress and snood ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Vertical fringe stripes ▪ Rabbit-fur snood ▪ Figure-hugging ...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Early 1990s Vintage Rust Burnt Orange Tailored Cigarette SuitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Diego, CAFabulous vintage early 90s JEAN PAUL GAULTIER rust / burnt orange colored silk shantung cigarette suit! Features a stylish long blazer, with buttons up the bodice. Four functional po...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Iconic Cage Corset lace up Jacket Pant Suit S/S 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous iconic black polished cotton lace-up back cage jacket and pants suit from Jean Paul Gaultier Spring/Summer 1989 Collection. The jacket has incredible vertical boning alte...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Blush Pink Silk Skirt SuitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA skirt and jacket suit in iridescent blush silk twill from Jean Paul Gaultier. The double breasted peak lapel jacket has short sleeves with 2 front welt flap pockets, 6 self covered...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Cardinali 1970s Original Sample Purple + Black Checkered Vintage 70s Skirt SuitBy CardinaliLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1970s CARDINALI original sample two piece virgin wool skirt suit! Comes from Marilyn Lewis', Cardinali's founder and designer, personal wardrobe. Vibrant purple and black mini c...Category
1970s Italian Skirt Suits
- 1990s Nicole Miller Size 12 Black Sequin Blazer and Top Vintage 90s Jacket SetBy Nicole MillerLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage NICOLE MILLER 90s black sequin sleeveless top and blazer set! Features thousands of hand-sewn black sequins throughout both pieces. Sing...Category
1990s American Blazers
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Russian Collection 1976 Jacket and Skirt Suit YSL 70sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAIconic vintage 1970s YSL YVES SAINT LAURENT Paris 'Rive Gauche' virgin wool jacket and skirt suit from the famed 1976 Russian Collection! Jacket features a windowpane gingham checker...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
After Centuries, the Kimono’s Influence on Fashion Is Still Strong
We talked to museum curators and fashion experts to find out how and why the kimono has remained endlessly fascinating for more than 1,000 years.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery