- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Jean Paul Gaultier Femme Brick Red Pliss Skirt Suit
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 14 (UK)
- Style:1900s (Of the Period)
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Berlin, DE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3331218338902
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Berlin, Germany
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vivienne Westwood 1988 SS Pagan Collection 80s Gold Mini Skirt Set XSBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOODLocated in Berlin, DE1988 SS Pagan Collection Vivienne Westwood Gold Mini Skirt ensemble Short sleeve T-shirt and Ruffle miniskirt Absolute show stopper piece Archival c...Category
1980s Twin Sets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 2002 Vintage "Portraits" Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Berlin, DEJean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 2002 Vintage Pop art "Portraits" Mesh Madi Wrap Backless Dress SHIPPING FROM BERLIN The creme del la creme of my extensive collection. The most covet...Category
1990s European Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood Red Label archival 90s ruffle corset Trousers Ensemble SetBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOODLocated in Berlin, DEArchival 1990s Vivienne Westwood Red Label archival 90s floral ruffle corset and Trousers set co ord Floral, button front, frill sleeve outrageous As s...Category
1990s Twin Sets
- 1990s Rare Archival Moschino Cheap and Chic Nuts About You Smiley Face TrouserBy Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Berlin, DE1990s Rare Archival Moschino Cheap and Chic Nuts About You Smiley Face Trouser Suit wow, no words for this one. Absolutely obsessed. Slim tailored high waisted trousers and matching tailored smiley faces with real hazelnut buttons. Exceptional cut and quality. 100% virgin wool Tag size EU 38/ UK 10 vintage so...Category
1990s Trouser Pant Suits
- Vivienne Westwood early 1990s Bustier Corset and Skirt suitBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOODLocated in Berlin, DEVivienne Westwood early 1990s Skirt suit Velvet panel corset bustier fitted waist coat and long extremely flattering skirt with two pockets Absolute show stopper piece Archival c...Category
1990s European Twin Sets
- Jean Paul Gaultier SS2001 Mesh Skirt set co ord ensemble OSFMBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Berlin, DEJean Paul Gaultier SS2001 Skirt set co ord matching set OSFM vintage Iconic and collectible Really fun! good vintage condition, shows minor signs wear to be expected of age see pi...Category
Early 2000s Twin Sets
- Moschino Black Wool Crepe Suit Silver ChainsBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino black wool crepe suit silver chains Stand out wearing this black crepe suite with silver chain details all around! Very BOSS LADY! Wool Blend. Size...Category
2010s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Black Boxer Overall Mesh JumpsuitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Black Boxer Overall Mesh Jumpsuit Measurements, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 14.56 inches (37 cm) Sleeves: 7.48 inches (19 cm) Bus...Category
1990s French Jumpsuits
- Vintage DOLCE & GABBANA Ruffles Jacket Skirt Suit EnsembleBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage DOLCE & GABBANA Ruffles Jacket Skirt Suit Ensemble Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: JACKET Shoulder: 14.96 inches (38 cm) Sleeves: 23.62 inc...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC Fun Figural Stitch Jacket Skirt Ensemble SuitBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC Fun Figural Stitch Jacket Skirt Ensemble Suit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: BLAZER/ JACKET Shoulder: 16 4/8 inche...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vintage Iconic THIERRY MUGLER Silver Metal Hooks Futuristic Red Dress SuitBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Iconic THIERRY MUGLER Silver Metal Hooks Futuristic Red Dress Suit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 1...Category
20th Century French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Coral Button Orange Jacket Skirt SuitBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Coral Button Orange Jacket Skirt Suit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips : JACKET/ BLAZER ...Category
20th Century French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Knoll, Charles PfisterLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Portrait of Juliette Gréco, Pierre Piget, 1950Located in Saint ouen, FRPortrait of Juliette Gréco - Pierre Piget Oil on isorel signed and dated lower right Numbered on the back : 61 Dimensions with frame : 73 x 84cm S...Category
Vintage 1950s PaintingsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Cartier Ballon Bleu Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box PapersBy CartierLocated in Atlanta, GACartier Ballon Bleu 28mm Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box Papers. Quartz movement. Round stainless steel case 28.0 mm in diameter....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Steel, Yellow Gold$5,367Free Shipping
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery