1990S Gianni Versace Aqua Nylon Jersey Men's Miami Beach Collection Swimsuit
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 14 in (35.56 cm)Marked Size: 6 (US)Waist: 34 in (86.36 cm)Hip: 34 in (86.36 cm)
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Items Elastic is Worn out a bit.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: 6ON11441stDibs: LU161217997462
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1950S Cream & Gold Rose Marie Reid Limited Edition Sun Suit Swimsuit Beaded WitLocated in New York, NY1950S Cream & Gold Rose Marie Reid Limited Edition Sun Suit Swimsuit Beaded With Fish ScalesCategory
- 1950S Pink & Orange Cotten Sateen Nani Of Hawaii Sun Suit Swimsuit With HibiscuLocated in New York, NYElastic Shirring is in excellent condition 1950S Pink & Orange Cotten Sateen Nani Of Hawaii Sun Suit Swimsuit With Hibiscus FlowersCategory
- 1970S Brown & White Psychedelic Poly Blend Stretch One-Piece SwimsuitLocated in New York, NY1970S Brown & White Psychedelic Poly Blend Stretch One-Piece SwimsuitCategory
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Size 8 Plunging Halter One Piece 80s Bodysuit SwimsuitBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CASexy vintage early 80s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL for Saks 5th Avenue plunging halter one piece bodysuit or swimsuit ! Swimsuit is a black lycra with color block stripes of purple, neon ...Category
1980s French Swimwear
- Vintage 1950's Jantzen Embroidered Strawberries Swimsuit & Terry-Cloth Cover UpBy JantzenLocated in Beverly Hills, CAWords can not describe how beautiful this 1950's Jantzen swimsuit ensemble is. The bathing suit is made from a high-grade ruched stretch polished cott...Category
1950s American Beachwear
- NWT Yves Saint Laurent Tom Ford YSL Size Large Black String Halter Bikini TopBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Tom FordLocated in San Diego, CABrand new with tags YVES SAINT LAURENT by TOM FORD black halter sting bikini top! Features ivory plastic details that resemble pieces of coral. In great unworn condition. Made in Ita...Category
Early 2000s Italian Bikinis
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 1999 Flamingo Tropical Bikini Swimsuit 2 Piece SetBy Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 1999 Flamingo Tropical Print Bikini Swimwear Swimsuit 2 Piece Set IT 44Category
21st Century and Contemporary Swimwear
- Gucci S/S 2005 Runway Cutout Sheer Panels Two-Piece Bikini Swimsuit SwimwearBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Naples, FLGucci S/S 2005 Runway Cutout Sheer Panels Two-Piece Bikini Swimsuit Swimwear Size M Look 27 from the Spring 2005 Collection. Excellent ConditionCategory
Early 2000s Swimwear
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil Eagle Tattoo Bikini Swimwear Swimsuit 2 Piece SetBy Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Soleil Vintage Eagle Tattoo Print Bikini Swimwear Swimsuit 2 Piece Set Size M Excellent Condition. Like New.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Swimwear