LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Vintage Montsouris Bagpack GM
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton Cabas Rivington Damier Ebene Tote Bag BrownBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYCondition Pre-owned Both side has zipper to make the bag smaller or open the zipper to make it big “ Very Good : Used with a few cracks near the lining. No stains , No fading Very ...Category
2010s Spanish Backpacks
- GUCCI Padlock leather-trimmed printed coated-canvas tote, Medium Size, Mint CondBy GucciLocated in New York, NYBag is in Super excellent condition , just like new Gucci's tote is named for the polished hardware seen at the front, which resembles a traditional padlock. It's been made in Italy from logo-printed coated-canvas and has defining leather trims. There's enough space in the suede interior for all of your essentials, plus a tablet and notebook. Please Note: All Measurements Were Taken By Hand And Are Approximate; Slight Variations May Occur. This item’s measurements are: Handle Drop: 25cm / 9.8in Depth: 13cm / 5.1in Height: 22cm / 8.7in Width: 35cm / 13.8in Push clasp-fastening front flap PRODUCT DETAILS A structured shoulder bag in GG Supreme canvas with a strap that secures with a key lock closure pulled straight from the archives. The key is placed in a detachable leather key case...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Black Taurillon Leather Volta Bag/ Hand bag, Excellent conditionBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYPerfect for the a woman on-the-go, this gorgeous and newer creation from Louis Vuitton is perfect for the LV lover who also wants a functional everyday bag! The Volta is made from su...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- MCM Visetos Leather Shoulder Bag/ Luggage bag Beiges PVC Serial # P7357 MediumBy MCM MunchenLocated in New York, NYThis shoulder bag features a leather body, an exterior front slip pocket, a flat leather straps, a top zip closure, and an interior zip pocket. Visetos Leather Shoulder Bag Measureme...Category
2010s German Shoulder Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Griet Brown Damier Ébène Canvas Tote 16.5"L x 5.9By Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYThis is an authentic, pre-owned LOUIS VUITTON Don't miss out on your opportunity to own this hard-to-find Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Griet Bag...Category
Early 2000s French Hobo Bags
- Louis Vuitton Keepall Bandouliere 55 Monogram Graphite Duffel Bag SD 5108By Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYCondition Pre-owned in excellent condition like new all Extra accessories like shoulder belt , luggage tag ,Lock , Attachment clip are with the bag in Mint condition Code # SD 5108...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON 2017 Americas Cup Damier Cobalt Noe Marin BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is an incredible find from a limited edition Louis Vuitton collection! In 2016, Louis Vuitton introduced the America’s Cup collection, which presents the newest Damier Cobalt Regatta print and colors such as Blue, Red and White. The collection includes a range of pieces such as backpacks, wallets and key chains inspired by a nautical theme. This bag features beautiful damier Cobalt Canvas, silver tone hardware, two black leather side handle, black fabric shoulder strap (detachable), a drawstring closure, blue and red canvas accents, smooth black leather base and side trims, and a removable luggage tag. The exterior is in great condition with a few scuffs. See Photos. Take a peek on the pristine interior in a canvas with a Louis Vuitton/Americas Cup logo and three slip pockets. Pair this great drawstring bucket bag with a Gucci jacket...Category
2010s French Backpacks
- 1997 Chanel Black Leather Vintage BackpackBy ChanelLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITVintage backpack signed Chanel, vinatege model, made of black grained leather with golden hardware. Equipped with a flap with twist lock closure with CC logo. Internally lined in bla...Category
1990s French Backpacks
- GUCCI by Tom Ford Fall 1994 Documented Small Black Patent Bamboo BackpackBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Munich, DETom Ford’s tenure at Gucci was a key moment in fashion history. In 1992 the Texan designer was appointed design director, and in 1994, creative director. His aesthetic of pared-down minimalism and understated yet flirty luxury became iconic. From the house of Gucci's Fall 1994 collection, this rare retro-inspired backpack with its bamboo handle embodies Ford's design language. I am delighted to have found documentation of a black smooth leather sister version walking the runway, Gucci's advertising campaign of that year (see the pictures after the label shot) and a Vanity Fair article by Judy Bachrach from July 1995 saying "Its relatively new backpack...Category
1990s Italian Backpacks
- Chanel Waterproof Red Laminated Canvas Backpack, 1990sBy ChanelLocated in Praha 2, Hlavní město PrahaChanel waterproof backpack in bright red laminated canvas, made in France, 1990s. The bag is from the spring-summer collection 1997-1999. It features a w...Category
1990s French Backpacks
- Chanel Affinity Caviar Leather BackpackBy ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel Affinity Caviar Leather Backpack Caviar and quilted, diamond stitch leather with champagne gold 'CC' logo hardware. Timeless twist lock closure...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Backpacks
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.