Vintage Louis Vuitton Taiga Leather Pilot Briefcase
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 13 in (33.02 cm)Depth: 5.25 in (13.34 cm)Length: 16.25 in (41.28 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Like new vintage condition. No key for the lock.
- Seller Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2311213644782
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- New Hermes Sac à Depeche Crocodile Briefcase 41cmBy HermèsLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Sac à Depeche briefcase from Hermès of Paris is one of the famed French luxury goods house's most coveted and exclusive items. This is a "Horeshoe...Category
Early 2000s French Briefcases and Attachés$64,500 Sale Price32% OffFree Shipping
- Judith Leiber Rare Vintage Alligator Kelly Flap BagBy Judith LeiberLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Vintage Kelly Flap style Alligator bag from Judith Leiber is one of the famed luxury goods house's most coveted and exclusive items. This flap bag is ba...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags$4,875 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- Pablo Picasso Vintage Bi Color Kelly Flap BagBy Pablo PicassoLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Vintage Kelly Flap style bag from Pablo Picassi is one of the famed luxury goods house's most coveted and exclusive items. This flap bag is made of blac...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags$625Free Shipping
- Judith Leiber Vintage Silk Crystals Flap 2-Way Clutch Shoulder Tassel BagBy Judith LeiberLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe ultimate in handbag making luxury craftsmanship. The Iconic House of Judith Leiber always provides us with timeless and classic pieces. This beautiful bag takes timeless creation...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Vintage Tom Ford Era Crocodile Constance Flap BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe ultimate in exotic handbag making luxury craftsmanship. The Iconic House of Gucci always provides us with timeless and classic pieces. The extremel...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,950 Sale Price45% OffFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Green Taiga Leather Suitcase 53cmBy Louis VuittonLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe vintage Louis Vuitton Satellite Taiga Leather carry on is crafted from hunter green leather, features a single rolled leather handle, cowhide leather trim, buckle straps and aged...Category
1990s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$1,495Free Shipping
- HERMES Black Ostrich Exotic Leather Sac A Depeches Men's Travel Briefcase BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2002 Collection Ostrich Leather Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 16" W x 11.75" H x 4" D Handle Drop 1.25" Includes Clochette and Keys 100%...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Briefcases and Attachés$8,580 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL Denim Blue Jean Quilted Gold CC Top Handle Carryall Travel Briefcase BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1997 Collection Denim Gold Hardware Measures 15" W x 11" H x 2.75" D Handle Drop 2" Includes Authenticity Card, Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity ...Category
1990s Briefcases and Attachés$13,060 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Goyard Universal Companion Portfolio / Briefcase Black / Brown NewBy GoyardLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Goyard Universal Companion featured in Black canvas with Tan leather trim. This portfolio is light and sleek, and borro...Category
2010s French Briefcases and Attachés
- Hermès Black Leather, Suede and Lizard Brief CaseBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Black Leather and Lizard Brief Case is in excellent plus condition. Very unique, this rare design combines textures, color and materials to create a collectible case. Black leather slim briefcase...Category
Late 20th Century French Briefcases and Attachés
- Customized Hermès Sac à dépêches briefcase in black calf and crocodile leatherBy HermèsLocated in Paris, IDFVery Classy Hermès Briefcase Messenger bag in black box calfskin leather customised with black Crocodile porosus (tirette and clochette), gold-tone metal hardware, simple black leath...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Briefcases and Attachés
- Chanel Vintage 90's Black Diamond Quilted BriefcaseBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Vintage 90's Black Diamond Quilted Briefcase circa 1992 black lambskin diamond quilting single flat top handle front flap closure push-lock ...Category
1990s Italian Briefcases and Attachés
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery