Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly Bag
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor scratches on the outside leather and next to the inside snap button (hidden when closed).
- Seller Location:Kingersheim, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: SAC0241stDibs: LU171528313461
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” During his five-decade career designing shoes, handbags, evening dresses and other items for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times.
An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. From his first collection, Lagerfeld injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. He riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment. Despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
Lagerfeld’s collections for Chanel, in particular, displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew.
Browse a collection of sophisticated designs by Karl Lagerfeld on 1stDibs, including evening gowns for Chanel, vintage cocktail dresses for Chloé and more.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box BagBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 inches (17.78 cm) Top Width: 12 inches (30.48 cm) Bottom Width: 10 inches (25.4 cm) Depth: 3...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 2/8 inches (top of heart to bottom) Width: 7 5/8 inches Depth:...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet BagBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet Bag Measurements: Height: 9 inches (23 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Top Handle: 12.79 ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 5.31 inches (13.5 cm) Width: 7.67 inches (19.5 cm) Tassel: 11.81 inches (30 cm) S...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 5 7/8 inches Width: 7 4/8 inches Depth: 1 inch Strap: 39 4/8 inches Fe...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
- Vintage 1998 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Iconic Bustier Corset Leather Suede Shoulder BagBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1998 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Iconic Bustier Corset Leather Suede Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 14 inches (35.56 cm) Width: 11 inches (27.94 cm) Depth: 3.5 inches (8.89 cm) ...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Ingber 1960s Evening Box BagLocated in Alford, MA1960s Ingber box-shaped bag in black featuring a rope top handle and a jeweled clasp. Open to reveal a red interior with side compartment. Plenty of room for phone and essentials.Category
1960s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Exceptional Hermès Micro Bolide Bag Black Lizard Golden Hdw 16 cm RAREBy HermèsLocated in ., FRExceptional Authentic Hermès Bag Micro "Bolide" Cutest Smallest Bag ever ! Super rare Made in France No stamp, but vintage Bag Made of Shiny Lizard and Golden Hardware Colorway: Black Inside is lined with black smooth leather Shoulder strap is made of box black leather Can be carried hand or shoulder 1 compartment, 4 feet "HERMES PARIS MADE IN FRANCE" and lizard symbol in golden letters in front Measurements, around: - 16 x 12 x 6 cm (6,3 x 4,72 x 2,36 inches) - Shoulder strap Length (carabiners included): 95 cm (37 inches) Condition: Very Good + - Skin is in beautiful condition, shiny. No loose stitching - Corners and handle in excellent condition - Inside shows few signs of wear - Zip perfectly works - Micro scratches on the hardware - The back of the bag shows recess of the leather on each side, probably due to storage PLEASE NOTICE: - This bag does not have any accessories left (no dustbag, no box, no paper) - In respect of the Washington Convention, this bag can not be shipped out of Europe. Please provide a european adress at check out. - The Hermès twilly Scarf...Category
Late 20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Rare Hermès Mini Kelly 20 cm Sellier Bag Full Doblis Suede Black GhwBy HermèsLocated in ., FRExtremely Rare Authentic Hermès Handbag "Mini Kelly" Outside "Sellier" stitching which makes it rigid, so chic ! Made in France Stamp V in a circle (1992) Made of full Doblis (Suede) Leather and Gold plated Hardware Colorway: Black Flap lined with black doblis leather / Inside lined with black grained leather "HERMES PARIS MADE IN FRANCE" in golden letters in front and on the shoudler strap "HERMES PARIS" engraved on the hardware of the right strap 4 feet 1 main compartment and 1 slip pocket With Both Handle and Shoulder Strap ! Size: 20 cm Measurements: - 20 x 14 x 8,5 cm (7,87 x 5,51 x 3,15 inches) - Shoulder strap is 86 cm long carabiners included (33,86 inches) Condition: Very Good. Leather is in great condition. Corners in excellent condition. Stitching in mint condition. Micro scratches on hardware. Inside is clean. A slight patina due to rubbing on the back. This cute Baby Kelly...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Lloyd Klein Paris Shagreen & Rosewood Evening BagLocated in West Palm Beach, FLLloyd Klein, Paris shagreen and rosewood evening bag with a carved stone beaded handle. Natural colour shagreen in greyish green, the beaded handle is blac...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- TOD'S Small Black Silk Satin Crystal Studs Top Handle Evening Hand Bag, 1990sLocated in Munich, DEThis elegant and minimalist late 1990s top handle evening handbag by Tod's is large enough for all of your evening essentials, but small enough to carry in your hand. It features a b...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Art Deco Reticule Purse in taffeta and beads- France Circa 1925Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1925 France Beautiful reticule or purse in black taffeta and embroidery with pearls in iridescent gray marcasite dating from the Art Deco period. Double pocket tightened by a cream cord...Category
1920s French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery