- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
LOUIS VUITTON Damier Ebene Coated Canvas & Calfskin Leather Nolita GM
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- LOUIS VUITTON Black Epi Leather Vintage Keepall 45By Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Black Epi Leather Vintage Keepall 45 Serial Number: SP0927 Age (Circa): 1997 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Type: Travel Colour: Bla...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$1,351Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 55By Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 55 Serial Number: MI874 Age (Circa): 1984 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Lad...Category
1980s French Top Handle Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 55By Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 55 Serial Number: SP0925 Age (Circa): 1995 Accompanied By: Luggage Tag, Handle Keeper Authenticity Deta...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton x NBA Brown Monogram Trio Pocket KeepallBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire"LOUIS VUITTON x NBA Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Embossed Calfskin Leather Trio Pocket Keepall Age (Circa): 2021 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap, Lug...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$6,761Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 45By Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 45 Serial Number: FO893 Age (Circa): 1983 Accompanied By: Luggage Tag, Handle Keeper Authenticity Detai...Category
1980s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Vintage Keepall 55 BandoulièreBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas and Vachetta Leather Vintage Keepall 55 Bandoulière Serial Number: SP1918 Age (Circa): 1998 Accompanied By: Luggage Tag, Shoulder Strap, ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$1,695Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Alma PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Alma PM Xupes Reference: CB821 Serial Number: BA0070 Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, ...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Vintage GUCCI Web Navy GG Monogram Canvas Soft-Sided Vanity Trunk Bag UnisexBy GucciLocated in Bangkok, THThis 1970s vintage GUCCI soft-sided vanity trunk is crafted of GG monogram coated canvas in navy decorated with Gucci’s iconic red/blue Web stripe and trimmed with navy smooth leathe...Category
1970s Italian Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$1,436 Sale Price15% Off
- Gucci Black Leather Zumi BagBy GucciLocated in London, GBGucci Black Leather Zumi Bag - Medium structured top handle bag with long bag strap - Shiny gold and silver-toned hardware - Signature interlocking G horsebit - Centre zipped compar...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Reverse Monogram City Malle MMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZWe are offering this beautiful Louis Vuitton Reverse Monogram City Malle MM. Manufactured in the 9th week of 2018 in France, this handbag was exquisitely crafted of a reverse-themed ...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- 8.45 Carat Tennis Bracelet White GoldBy Harry WinstonLocated in Rome, IT8.45 ct total weight Round Brilliant Cut Diamond Straight Line Tennis Bracelet in 14K White Gold. The bracelet weighs 15.7 grams, 7.25" inches in length, there are 46 Natural Round ...Category
2010s American Modern Tennis BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, White Gold$18,750 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Navy Leather and Denim Monogram Drip Keepall 60By Louis VuittonLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Louis Vuitton Navy Leather and Denim Monogram Drip Keepall 60 is in pristine condition. From the Virgil Abloh Collection, this is the largest size of the Bandouliere ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Keepall Sailing Boating Duffel Rare Limited Edition BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Miami, FLLouis Vuitton Keepall Sailing Boating Duffel Rare Limited Edition Travel Bag Taupe leather LV Cup 95's travel bag from Louis Vuitton Pre-Owned featuring round top handles, a detach...Category
1990s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Trunk in Damier Canvas, 1910sBy Louis VuittonLocated in Roosendaal, NLFrom the collection of Savineti we offer this very rare Louis Vuitton Damier Trunk: - Brand: Louis Vuitton - Model: Damier Trunk - Year: 1910-1914 - Condition: Good (for its age, us...Category
1910s French Suitcases and Trunks
- Louis Vuitton Train Case, Louis Vuitton Beauty Case,Louis Vuitton Jewelry CaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis very nice Louis Vuitton monogram train case features solid brass corner, clasps and lock.Its clasps and lock are stamped Louis Vuitton. It is also embossed Louis Vuitton on its...Category
1980s French Suitcases and Trunks
- New 2021 Limited Edition Louis vuitton Keepall Bandoulière 45 Bag Virgil AblohBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis superb Keepall Bandoulière 45 bag is all made in leather with a Damier checkerboard pattern in turquoise blue and white. Its leather top handles, side bands, and nametag are als...Category
2010s Luggage and Travel Bags
- Louis Vuitton Hat Trunk,Louis Vuitton Trunk,Louis Vuitton Steamer TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis beautiful Louis Vuitton hat box features stenciled monogram canvas, brass fittings , corners, LV stamped lock and clasps and a very sturdy and comfortable leather handle. Interi...Category
Mid-20th Century Suitcases and Trunks
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery