- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Louis Vuitton Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Multiplie Cite
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 10.24 in (26 cm)Width: 14.18 in (36 cm)Depth: 4.34 in (11 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Bishop's Stortford, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: HB51611stDibs: LU170218630732
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas and Vachetta Leather Vintage PetitNoéBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas and Vachetta Leather Vintage Petit Noé Serial Number: AR0930 Age (Circa): 1990 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: L...Category
1990s French Bucket Bags and Drawstring Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Kenyan Fawn Epi Leather Vintage Petit NoéBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Kenyan Fawn Epi Leather Vintage Petit Noé Serial Number: AR0956 Age (Circa): 1996 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Type: Shoulder Colo...Category
1990s French Structured Shoulder Bags$934Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Bucket BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Bucket Bag Serial Number: FL0086 Age (Circa): 2006 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Typ...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags$1,121Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Cabas MezzoBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Cabas Mezzo Serial Number: TH0092 Age (Circa): 2002 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: L...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags$1,258Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Dahlia Monogram Empreinte Leather Saint Germain MMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Dahlia Monogram Empreinte Leather Saint Germain MM Serial Number: SP1155 Age (Circa): 2015 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Mad...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags$1,782Free Shipping
- 2015 Louis Vuitton Magnolia Veau Cachemire Leather Nano Rock ItBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Magnolia Veau Cachemire Leather Nano Rock It Serial Number: AH2145 Age (Circa): 2015 Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Type: Shoulder, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tote Bags$2,330Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON x Takashi Murakami Speedy 25 in Cherry Monogram Canvas 2005By Louis VuittonLocated in London, GBThe Louis Vuitton x Takashi Murakami Speedy 25 in Cherry Monogram Canvas 2005 remains an instant classic. A collaboration between two creative titan...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- "Cherry" Limited edition Louis Vuitton keepall 45 Travel bag by Takashi MurakamiBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFExceptional Collector Keepall 45 "Cherry" Travel bag designed by the artist Takashi Murakami in monogram coated canvas decorated with cherries, zipper, double handle in natural leath...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton by Marc Jacobs Mousseline Demi Lune mini evening bag, fw 2005By Louis VuittonLocated in London, GB▪ Louis Vuitton Mousseline Demi Lune Bag ▪ Creative Director: Marc Jacobs ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Fall-Winter 2005 ▪ Limited Edition ▪ Constructed from a dark green mohai...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- 2005 Louis Vuitton Tiger Eye Exotic Skin Marc Jacobs EditionBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton signed bag limited edition autumn/winter 2005 Tigereye in collaboration with Marc Jacobs Combined with precious exotic leathers: ostrich, python and lizard. Opening a...Category
Early 2000s Top Handle Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Monogram Cherry Keepall 45 Duffle Travel BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2005 Collection Monogram Cherry Canvas Leather W 17.7 x H 10.6 x D 8.1 " Handle Drop 4" 100% Authenticity Guarante...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$23,940 Sale Price20% Off
- LOUIS VUITTON Monogram Canvas Cherry Shopper Carryall Travel Tote BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2005 Collection Monogram Cherry Canvas Leather Includes Dust Bag W 14.2 x H 15.0 x D 3.5 " Handle Drop 4.75" 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags$12,740 Sale Price20% Off
- Louis Vuitton Noe Bag in Red Epi and Red AlcantaraBy Louis VuittonLocated in PARIS, FRLouis Vuitton 2005 Neo MM Epi Very good condition some very light signs of use all over the bag. Beautiful red epi leather and red alcantara in the in...Category
20th Century Structured Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Alma Handbag Damier PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in NY, NYCondition: Fair. Odor in interior. Wear and scuffs on leather trims and handles, moderate peeling on base corners, splitting on handle wax edges. Wear, marks and discoloration in int...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Multicolor Alma WhiteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis bag is made of white toile canvas with a Multicolore monogram in 33 vibrant colors. It has vachetta leather top handles, a leather base, leather trim, and a front zipper pocket...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Sandy Leather Shoulder Bag StrapBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Louis Vuitton's shoulder strap is one of the most useful accessories with a touch of luxury. The strap is made from leather and is complete with two gold-tone clasps for you to attac...Category
2010s French Wallets and Small Accessories
- Louis Vuitton Off-White Monogram Mahina Cirrus PM BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZNOW TRENDING: Slouchy oversized bags! Ensure your daily essentials are in order and your outfit is complete with this designer Louis Vuitton bag. This Louis Vuitton PM Cirrus Mahina Handbag is crafted of the best materials in a perforated Monogram Mahina leather. The push lock closure opens to a dark grey alcantara lined interior with one zip pocket against the back and two open pockets against the front. It features the gold-tone signature Louis Vuitton press...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Louis Vuitton Palermo PM Monogram Canvas Shoulder Tote Bag M40145By Louis VuittonLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic Louis Vuitton Palermo PM Monogram Canvas Bag W/added insert to help keep upright and Organize RATING: B very g...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Collector LOUIS VUITTON Isaac Mizrahi Transparent Tote BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, FROne of the most famous collaboration of Louis Vuitton was with the great Isaac Mizrahi. This LOUIS VUITTON tote bag is in transparent vinyl, the fittings are in natural cowhide. The ...Category
1990s French Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton X LOL Gold/Silver Stripe Monogram Neverfull MM Tote BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton X LOL Gold/Silver Monogram Neverfull MM Tote Bag. Features silver, gold and black camouflage print inspired by League of Legend’s champions. Made In: France Year of...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Azur Neo Neverfull MM Tote Bag w/ Insert rt. $2,030By Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Damier Azur Neo Neverfull MM Tote Bag w/ Insert Made In: U.S.A. Year of Production: 2017 Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Coat...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Limited edition monogram bordeaux aviator bagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Capri, ITLouis Vuitton Limited edition monogram bordeaux aviator bag The bag is crafted of canvas crafted of steel lame Louis Vuitton ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery