Louis Vuitton Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Speedy 40
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Chanel Navy Canvas & Black Calfskin Leather Deauville Bowling BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChanel Navy Canvas & Black Calfskin Leather Deauville Bowling Bag Brand- Chanel Model- Deauville Bowling Bag Product Type- Shoulder, Tote Serial Number- U5****** Age- Circa 2022 Acc...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Dior Black Quilted Nylon Vintage Large Lady DiorBy Christian DiorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireDior Black Quilted Nylon Vintage Large Lady Dior Xupes Reference: HB5199 Serial Number: X Age (Circa): 1995 Authenticity Details: (Made in Italy) Gender: Ladies Type: Tote Colour: ...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle BagsFree Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Damier Azur Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Hampstead PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Damier Azur Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Hampstead PM Serial Number: Unreadable due to suede Age (Circa): 2010 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag Authenticity ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- 1992 Hermès Rouge Vif & Black Veau Doblis Suede Vintage Kelly 20cm SellierBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Rouge Vif & Black Veau Doblis Suede Vintage Kelly 20cm Sellier Serial Number: (V) Age (Circa): 1992 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenticity Details: Date...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Bougainvillea Epsom Leather Kelly 32cm RetourneBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Bougainvillea Epsom Leather Kelly 32cm Retourne Serial Number: [M] Age (Circa): 2009 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Clochette, Padlock, K...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black Swift Leather & Canvas Fray Birkin 35cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Swift Leather & Canvas Fray Birkin 35cm Serial Number: Z Age (Circa): 2021 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Padlock, Keys, Clochette, Small Dust Bag, Care Booklet...Category
2010s French Top Handle BagsFree Shipping
- Saint Laurent Baby Sac De Jour Gray Leather Handbag PurseBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Oakland, CASignature Saint Laurent Sac de Jour bag in gray. This classic bag features tubular handles, side gussets with compression tabs. Long removable adjustable shoulder strap. Saint Lau...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Kelly 25 Lime Epsom Sellier Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHermes 25cm Kelly About the Hermes Kelly Bag: The Hermes Kelly Bag is a luxurious handbag designed by the French fashion house, Hermès. It was first introduced in the 1930s as a saddlebag for horse riders, but it later became a popular fashion accessory due to its sleek and sophisticated design. The Kelly Bag is named after Grace Kelly, an American actress who became the Princess of Monaco after marrying Prince Rainier III. She was often photographed carrying the Hermes Kelly Bag, which helped to popularize it even further Hermes Kelly 25cm Sellier Style, Rigid Lime Epsom Palladium Hardware Collectors Dream Almost Impossible to Find We have it! Brand New Fresh from the Hermes Boutique...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermes Picotin Lock Monochrome 18 bag Rose Mexico Pink NewBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLThe Hermès Picotin 18 is a small handbag from the French luxury brand Hermès. It is named after the French word "picotine," which means "a small bunch of hay." The Picotin 18 is a ve...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Kelly Sellier 20 Mini Rouge de Coeur Bag Chevre Leather B StampBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLGuaranteed authentic Hermes Kelly 20 Sellier bag featured in stunning Rouge de Coeur. Rouge de coeur is a vibrant red, so gorgeous! Leather is Chevre, one of the most collected leathers because of its durability The Hermes Kelly 20 is a small handbag from the French luxury brand Hermes. It is named after the actress and Princess of Monaco...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Micro Picotin Lock 14 "Lucky Daisy" Mauve Sylvestre Swift PalladiumBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHermes This is new Micro Picotin, the small size New Daisy Pattern Everyone loves the Picotin So cute , so chic! Pinks This limited edition "Lucky Daisy"...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Kelly Sellier 28 Bag Rouge Venetian Epsom Gold Hardware NewBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLThis Kelly Sellier, in the Sellier style, is in Rouge Venetian Epsom Leather with Gold hardware Tonal stitching, front flap, two straps with center toggle closure, clochette with loc...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery