- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Louis Vuitton Taurillon Capucines BB Mint and Burgundy
About the Item
- Design:Capucines BagCapucines Collection
- Dimensions:Height: 7 in (17.78 cm)Width: 3.5 in (8.89 cm)Length: 10.5 in (26.67 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU167215593302
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Butterfly BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThe Most Adorable Bag Is Here And We Are Obsessed! Circa 1980s, this Yves Saint Laurent cross body bag is crafted from woven black leathe...Category
1980s French Top Handle Bags
- Christian Dior Medium Blue Denim Studded Lady Dior HandbagBy Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZA Lady Dior in Denim! Proving once again that Dior is for the modern woman. Denim bags are so hot right now and I have got the perfect one for you! This bag is a medium size that can fit all your essentials. Carry this bag by the top handle or attach the matching strap for a crossbody look. The detail of this bag is amazing as the whole body and straps are covered in gold-toned studded embellishments. The detachable strap is wide and comfortable on the shoulder as well as the flat top handle bags iconic to the Lady Dior. This includes a "DIOR" charm on the front. It is comprised of 100% cotton and has a soft and unstructured body. Pair this handbag with a pink Chanel top, Dolce & Gabbana mini skirt, and Prada slingback...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Prada Medium Saffiano Leather Prada BagBy PradaLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is a sleek and essential handbag to add to your closet. Prada is known for their high quality leather goods that will never fail you. This bag features the iconic texture of Saffiano leather characterizes the compact Prada Panier bag. This is an elegant designed of the bag with single top handle and a versatile crossbody strap. It is featured in a vibrant gold hardware with the iconic Prada logo on the front. It has a magnet closure on top and two huge pockets on the beautiful red interior with a ton of room for all your things. This is a great bag to bring with you day-to-day or even on your next trip. Pair this handbag with a Chanel jacket, Saint Laurent black sunglasses...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Givenchy 2011 Antigona Mini Python BagBy GivenchyLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdd some color to your looks with this amazing Givenchy Antigona bag! Circa 2011, this rare bag is beautifully crafted from laminated python and finished in vibrant hot pink. Feature...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Hermés 2003 Kelly Retourne Rouge 35cm Hermes Togo LeatherBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZHello Hermés! Handcrafted by the artisans of Hermes into an iconic 35cm Kelly from 2003. This beautiful Hermes Kelly handbag is crafted from togo leather in the iconic Hermés Rouge w...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Red Epsom Kelly Sellier 32 Rouge CasaqueBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZA Kelly in true red! There isn't anything better than that. Get your hands on an authentic HERMES Epsom Kelly Sellier 32 in Rouge Casaque. This handbag is an iconic and classic tote that is crafted of beautifully textured epsom leather in a HOT red. The bag features a sturdy rolled leather top handle with polished palladium silver plated links and a crossover flap and strap closure with a signature Kelly turn lock. This opens to a spacious and durable matte leather interior with zippered and flat pockets. This handbag is in great condition with a few marks to the leather and slight loss of shape. This Kelly does...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Prada FUOCO GLACE CALFSKIN LEATHER TWIN POCKET DOUBLE HANDLE TOTEBy PradaLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshirePrada FUOCO GLACE CALFSKIN LEATHER TWIN POCKET DOUBLE HANDLE TOTE CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The inte...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$1,043Free Shipping
- GIVENCHY Pandora Red Grained Leather BagBy GivenchyLocated in Paris, FRGivenchy cubic soft bag Pandora model in red grained leather with a silver metal trim. Signature on the top. Two zippers, the first opens onto a large storage space lined in beige fa...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermès ROUGE SELLIER SHINY ALLIGATOR VINTAGE KELLY 20CM SELLIERBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The hardware is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The corners are in excellent condition with light signs of use. Overall this item is in excellent pre-owned condition. Please note the majority of the items we sell are pre-loved unless stated otherwise. Please look over our pictures and descriptions as they display the most detail of the product. Please make a note of the measurements. BRAND Hermès MODEL Kelly 20cm...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$111,634Free Shipping
- Late 1990s Gianni Versace Red Crocodile Embossed Top Handle Crossbody BagBy Donatella Versace for Gianni Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous bright red crocodile embossed top handle bag, designed by Gianni Versace. This bag features red wooden top handles, a removable longer crossbody...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- NEW Louis Vuitton Pochette Metis Monogram Canvas Hand Bag with Strap 2022By Louis VuittonLocated in Switzerland, CHBrandnew Louis Vuitton Pochette METIS This bag is fresh from the store and comes in brandnew, unused condition and dustbag. Sold out for months and available with months-long waiti...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- TYLER ELLIS LJ Handbag Small Bright Green Python Gold HardwareBy Tyler EllisLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe LJ handbag small is featured in our Kryptonite Python with gold hardware. This semi-structured handbag has a triangular front-flap and our custom Spear-lock Closure. It is design...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery