1980s Jean Paul Gaultier Black Velvet Bag
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 3 in (7.62 cm)Width: 8.5 in (21.59 cm)Depth: 8.5 in (21.59 cm)Diameter: 8.5 in (21.59 cm)
- Style:Fashion (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. used some wear on trim.
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: JP9231stDibs: LU2656220491812
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Want Les Essentiels de la Vie Passport Black Leather Passport CoverLocated in North Hollywood, CAWANT LES ESSENTIELS black leather passport cover designed for airport essentials. This new leather passport cover is perfect for storing a passport...Category
Early 2000s American Wallets
- Vintage Lanvin Beige Cotton Toiletry BagBy Jeanne Lanvin, Lanvin ParisLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage Lanvin toiletry bag with all-over logo print, top zip fastening and one main compartment. Vintage Lanvin with signature monogram logo canvas clutc...Category
1980s French Cosmetic Bags
- Hartmann Retro Carry-On in Apple Green with Polka DotLocated in North Hollywood, CAHartmann Retro Carry-On in Apple Green with Dots. Hartmann's beautiful Retro Carry-On in Apple Green. Perfect as a small carry-on or for everyday use. This cute carry-on can house ...Category
Late 20th Century American Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- MIU MIU Beige Vitello Lux Bow Leather Hand Bag Satchel ToteBy Miu MiuLocated in North Hollywood, CAMiu Miu Beige Vitello Lux Leather Bow Handle Bag Satchel Tote. This handle bag from Miu Miu boasts a highly fashionable look. Made from Vitello Lux leather, this handbag features bow...Category
2010s Indian Tote Bags
- Set of 2 Moroccan Straw Basket Tote Bags Hand Woven in MarrakechLocated in North Hollywood, CASet of 2 Moroccan Woven Wicker Rush Straw Basket Mini Bags. Adding natural texture and style to your living space, these hand woven baskets are also very practical and functional. ...Category
Late 20th Century Moroccan Tote Bags
- Hermes Silver Breloque Dog Horse H Palladium Bag Charm for Birkin or KellyBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Silver Breloque Dog Horse H Palladium Bag Charm for Birkin or Kelly Long discontinued and iconic silver bag charm by Hermes. The most darling ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets and Small Accessories
- Hermes So Black Rodeo Leather Charm GM for Birkin KellyBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYGuaranteed Authentic Hermes So Black Rodeo Leather Charm GM for Birkin Kelly Cult favorite Hermes So Black Rodeo Charm is so fabulous and chic! Perfect ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tech Accessories and Cases
- Hermes Silver Olga Charm Silver for Birkin and Kelly Bag RareBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Olga Charm Silver for Birkin or Kelly Discontinued and none available in Hermes stores worldwide for many years! A most adorable charm for your Birki...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets and Small Accessories
- Limited Edition Louis Vuitton Vivienne Doll coin purse in brown monogram, GHWBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFLouis Vuitton limited edition coin purse in brown monogram canvas with Vivienne doll print Gold hardware Blue leather interior Signature: "Louis Vuitton Par...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets
- Hermès Address Tag for Luggage Suitcase in Naturel LeatherBy HermèsLocated in ., FRCute Authentic Hermès Adress Tag You can write your address or phone number directly on the lines provided for this purpose Made in France Made of Smoo...Category
Early 2000s French Miscellaneous
- Chanel CC Caviar Leather Zip Around Wallet 2003By ChanelLocated in Montreal, QuebecCOLOR: Black MATERIAL: Resin and crystal ITEM CODE: 8884865 MEASURES: Inside Circumference 7.25" Width 2.0” WEIGHT: 174.3g EST. RETAIL: $1,575 COMES WITH: Dust bag and attached tag C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Wallets