- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Kenneth Jay Lane Huge "Jacqueline Kennedy" Inspired "Star" Brooch
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Kenneth Jay Lane
The father of so-called “fabulous fakes,” Kenneth Jay Lane was a spirited innovator within the jewelry industry, designing elegant and luxurious pieces without the use of real jewels. And while Lane aspired to create classic designs for earrings, bracelets and necklaces intended for everyday wear, his pieces caught the attention of celebrities, royalty and socialites.
From a young age, the Detroit, Michigan-born Lane was a lover of fashion. He studied at the Rhode Island School of Design and the University of Michigan. He pursued a design career in New York City, and a failed start in the art department of Vogue magazine led to a decade of designing shoes for the likes of Delman and Christian Dior.
Lane would occasionally develop shoe designs for friends he had in the fashion world such as Bill Blass and Arnold Scaasi. A show for the latter afforded him the opportunity to beautify shoes with rhinestones and create bangles and earrings to pair with the footwear — he found plastic bracelets at discount variety store and had them embellished by craftspeople at a shoe factory.
A love for costume jewelry design emerged thereafter. Lane created his own collection and admirers such as Jackie Kennedy and Elizabeth Taylor showered him with praise. A pearl necklace he designed was worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. In the early 1960s, ready-to-wear pioneer Hattie Carnegie purchased Lane’s jewelry line. Lane was given the position of design director for Carnegie but he soon changed course, moving instead into a small studio and pursuing his own path.
Lane worked with milk glass, gilded silver hardware, faux coral and other materials, and sold pendant necklaces, dangle earrings and modern bracelets to private customers. He was fond of renowned fine jewelry houses Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels and designers such as Jean Schlumberger, and cited having found inspiration in Egyptian and Indian jewelry over the years as well as Art Deco jewelry. Lane’s designs, which he called “faque” and “junque,” became well-known for their distinctive color combinations and clever characteristics such as embroidery. By the time he purchased a small jewelry factory in Providence, Rhode Island, where his accessories would be made during the 1960s, Lane had secured relationships with top Manhattan boutiques and his work had caught the attention of fashion magazines.
Directed by the filmmaker Gisèle Roman, a 2018 documentary about Lane’s life and work called Fabulously Fake: The Real Life of Kenneth Jay Lane features interviews with legendary fashion designers Carolina Herrera, Tory Burch and Diane von Furstenberg.
- Famed Giorgio Of Beverly Hills Iconic Signature Logo Silk Scarf & Makeup BagBy Giorgio of Beverly HillsLocated in New York, NYThe famed iconic Giorgio of Beverly Hills signature Yellow and Ivory stripes of this silk scarf, which measures 30 inches by 31 inches with rolled edges, combined with a make-...Category
- Huge Linda Duno Midnight Blue Floral Border with Whimsical Florals Silk ScarfLocated in New York, NYHuge Linda Duno wonderfully detailed midnight blue floral borders surrounding a Whimsical florals center silk scarf, accented with hand-rolled edges, measures 42 inches by 43 in...Category
- Nicole Miller Shades of Warm Brown Autumn Snake Pattern Silk ScarfBy Nicole MillerLocated in New York, NYWonderfully elegant, Nicole Miller's shades of warm brown "Autumn snake pattern" silk scarf from Japan measures 33 1/2 inches by 34 inches.Category
- Vivienne Westwood Signature Logo Cotton ScarfBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in New York, NYVivienne Westwood signature logo cotton scarf measures 22 inches by 23 inches. Edges are rolled and made in London.Category
- Ferragamo Golden Border "Winter Travels" Silk Jacquard ScarfBy FerragamoLocated in New York, NYFerragamo wonderfully elegant and timeless "Winter Travels" Surrounded with golden borders and accented with hand-rolled edges measures 34 inches by 34 1/2 inches. Made In Italy.Category
- Anne Klein for Robinson & Golluber Coral & Brown Signature Logo Silk ScarfBy Anne KleinLocated in New York, NYAnne Klein for Robinson & Golluber coral & brown signature logo silk scarf with hand-rolled edges, measures 26 inches by 26 inches. Made in Japan.Category