A Pair of Tang Dynasty Chinese Terracotta Bactrian Camels with RidersItem Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 11
A Pair of Tang Dynasty Chinese Terracotta Bactrian Camels with Riders
$230,000Asking Priceper set
The pointy hat and broad features of these riders identify them as foreigners, probably Sogdian traders. Such representations of foreign traders on camel back proliferated in the Tang Period (618 - 907 CE), as symbols of the thriving Silk Road trade of the Tang dynasty. Camel A Dramatically rendered with a foreign rider dressed in an orange tunic and pantaloons, surmounted by a peaked hat, he sits on a saddle and saddle-blanket between the camel's high humps as the camel strides forth powerfully, with its head thrown back and its contorted mouth agape, the body powerfully modelled with red-pigmented fur on the upper legs and under the neck, its muscular legs accented with delineated sinews, the whole enlivened with red, yellow and black pigment over white slip. Height 135cm x 123cm x 47cm Camel B Superbly modelled, a foreign rider sits between the powerful beast's two tall humps, the rider's face gazing slightly upwards, his right hand is raised slightly and his left lowered, his vest thrown open as if wind-blown, the beast throws back its head, its eyes bulging and mouth agape, as it strides powerfully forward, the muscles on the mighty legs expressively rendered, the whole enhanced with naturalistic ochre, red, and black pigments. Height 132cm x 113cm x 43.5cm The dating of each camel is consistent with the results of the Thermoluminescence Authenticity tests, ref. L02830 (Camel A) and ref. L02831 (Camel B).
- DimensionsHeight: 53.15 in. (135 cm)Width: 18.51 in. (47 cm)Depth: 48.43 in. (123 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleTang (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture618-907
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationArmadale, AU
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3404312252491
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: Armadale, Australia
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Armadale, Australia
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1980
1stDibs seller since 2018
10 sales on 1stDibs
More From This Seller
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaResplendent with polychrome application, depicted as a woman breast feeding her infant child, her round face wit...Category
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese AntiquitiesMaterials
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaEach figure cast as a draped maiden, standing with one arm upraised and the other holding a basket balanced on h...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Louis Philippe Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaThe mottled rectangular plate within a series of rope, concave and bead-and-reel mouldings, with pierced rocaill...Category
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Rococo Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaEach with foliated metal drip trays atop the multi baluster stem, the gadrooned capital on fluted column, the ce...Category
Antique 17th Century Italian Renaissance TorchèresMaterials
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaEach cupboard with a curved front rectangular body, painted to the front with scenes of figures dancing around a...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Dutch Renaissance Corner CupboardsMaterials
- Located in Armadale, VictoriaThe curved rails with lily and leaf molding, the bottom rail centred with cartouche impressed with the name BOKA.Category
Vintage 1920s Belgian Art Nouveau Coat Racks and StandsMaterials
You May Also Like
Large Terracotta Standing Camel, Tang Dynasty, China, 618-907 AD
Located in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon
Terracotta standing camel with traces of stucco. The head slightly inclined to the left with the glance towards the horizon. A sculpture such as this would have been made for a wealt...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Tang Antiquities
Chinese Tang Dynasty Painted Pottery Model of a Camel
Located in Austin, TX
A powerfully sculpted Chinese Tang Dynasty pottery model of a camel. The camel is portrayed in a walking stance, long neck extended, with head held high, mouth askew chewing cud. The...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese Tang Antiquities
6-9th C Chinese Bronze Bodhisattva of Compassion from the Tang Dynasty - 9006
Located in Ukiah, CA
6-9th C Chinese bronze Bodhisattva of compassion from the Tang Dynasty. This piece has a great face and real finesse in the sculpting. The casting is a quality that is only found on ...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese More Asian Art, Objects and Fur...
Han Dynasty Horse and Rider
Located in Atlanta, GA
Tombs of the Han dynasty (206 BC-220 AD) were typically furnished with model figures and other objects believed to be necessary for a safe journey to the afterlife. Historical record...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese Antiquities
Tang Dynasty Figure of a Lady, Wood with Pigments, 8th Century AD
Located in Geelong, Victoria
Chinese carved wood figure of a court lady, standing dressed in flowing robes with hands clasped, her hair in a high hairdo. Tang dynasty, 8th century AD. -------...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese Archaistic Antiquities
Qing Dynasty Pair of Chinese Peking Glass Lampshades
Located in Brea, CA
19th century Qing Dynasty pair of Chinese Peking glass lampshades. Decorated with very beautiful green plants and in excellent condition.
Antique 19th Century Chinese Chinoiserie Antiquities
$2,880 / item
Chinese Tang Dynasty Terracotta Warrior with Straw Glaze, circa 600-800 AD
Located in Yonkers, NY
A Chinese Tang Dynasty terracotta warrior circa 600-800 AD with unusual straw glaze. Created in China during the Tang Dynasty, this terracotta warrior draws our attention with its or...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese Tang Antiquities
Chinese Framed Print of Tang Dynasty Painting
Located in Savannah, GA
Chinese framed print detail of larger painting. Expertly framed with double mats of linen and simulated bamboo featuring gold leaf edging on both mats. "Han-Kan Bringing Tribute" New...
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Chinese Tang Prints