Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala Kalvolan Kanto Vase
About the Item
- Creator:Tapio Wirkkala (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 5.5 in (13.97 cm)Diameter: 5.5 in (13.97 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950s
- Condition:free of damage.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU97874295193
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Cohoes, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Tapio Wirkkala for Ittala Lunaria Ice Block BowlBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in New York, NYNice center bowl designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Ittala. Clear glass with textured ice surface. Original clean and undamaged condition, unsigned.Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Scandinavian Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Bianconi for Venini Fan VaseBy Venini, Fulvio BianconiLocated in New York, NYIconic Italian Art Glass Fan vase, by Flavio Bianconi for Venini, circa 1940's. This example is in excellent, original condition, free of damage or rep...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Flavio Poli for Seguso Large Sommerso VaseBy Archimede SegusoLocated in New York, NYImpressive example of classic Sommerso technique, by Flavio Poli for Seguso. Murano Art Glass, dark blue body with green bottom.Category
Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Art Glass, Glass, Sommerso
- Art Glass Vase Att. to A.D. Copier for LeerdamBy Glasfabriek Leerdam, A. D. CopierLocated in New York, NYWell crafted mid-century vase in clear glass, having a finish top edge and polished bottom. This piece is in very fine, original condition, free of damage or repairs. Attributed to A...Category
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Italian Murano Vase by Luigi Onesto for Oggetti c 1970'sBy Oggetti, Luigi OnestoLocated in New York, NYChic Post Modern - Mid Century Modern art glass vase designed by Luigi Onesto for Oggetti, made in Murano, Italy, circa 1970's. This ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Vickie Lindstrand for Kosta Smoked Glass VaseBy Vicke Lindstrand, Kosta Glasbruk 1Located in New York, NYSmoked glass vase by Vickie Lindstrand form Kosta. This example is in perfect condition, and signed LINDSTRAND KOSTA LH 1023.Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Glass Vase Sointu by Tapio Wirkkala for IittalaBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Vienna, ATHand blown midcentury clear vase designed by Tapio Wirkkala in the 1960s for Iittala.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Large Iittala Glass VaseBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Sharon, CTThe largest version of this famous form. Opaque white and clear glass. Measures: 33 cm.Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala 1970s CenterpieceBy Iittala, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Parma, ITCrystal centerpiece designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala 1970s. Central part with "ice" effect. In excellent conditions.Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Iittala Finnish Modernist Kanttarelli VaseBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Pasadena, CAIittala Kanttarelli vase designed by Tapio Wirkkala. Vase measures 5" by 4.5" and is signed on the bottom Tapio Wirkkala, Iitala. In very good vintage condition.Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- Vase 'Niva' by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, Finland 1970sBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Berghuelen, DEVase 'Niva' by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, Finland 1970s A vintage 'Niva' (Rushing stream) vase designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala Glassworks in 1973. Mold blown crystal clear g...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala Green Glass Vintage Eeva VaseBy Iittala, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Scandinavian glass vase by Finnish designer and sculptor, Tapio Wirkkala (1915-1985), produced in 1978 and 1979 by Iittala o...Category
20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials