Rare Tapio Wirkkala Sterling Punch Pourer
About the Item
- Creator:Tapio Wirkkala (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)Depth: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1967
- Condition:Very good. Minor scratching to silver.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU800236717042
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Tapio Wirkkala Hopeakuu Sterling PendantBy Tapio Wirkkala, Nilo WesterbackLocated in Brooklyn, NY“Silver Moon” (Hopeakuu) sterling silver pendant comprising nine kinetic concentric rings of differing widths secured through a vertical rod, designed by Tapio Wirkkala in 1970 and p...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Sterling Demitasse Coffee Service by AspreyBy Asprey International LimitedLocated in Brooklyn, NYChic modern travel coffee service with cup and creamer. Arms hold the set together and rotates so the pieces stay in place as you pour. Cane-wrapped handle. Fully hallmarked Asprey a...Category
Vintage 1950s British Sterling SilverMaterials
- Harald Nielsen Sterling Bud Vase for Georg JensenBy Harald Nielsen, Georg JensenLocated in Brooklyn, NYWonderful Art Moderne design by one of Jensen's master silversmiths. Stamp dates this to 1945-1950 production. Initialed HN, with Jensen and sterling hallmarks.Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Vases
- Aldo Tura Nut Bowl with NutcrackerBy Aldo TuraLocated in Brooklyn, NYWhimsical nut bowl as sculpture. Green velum wrapped mahogany bowl with 24-karat gold gilded brass stem and nutcracker with carved walnut finial.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Serving BowlsMaterials
- Folke Arstrom Silverplate and Bakelite Cocktail SetBy Folke ArstromLocated in Brooklyn, NYHigh Art Deco cocktail shaker and eight martini glasses. Classic design. For GAB. Each piece stamped.Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Barware
- Tapio Wirkkala Silver Punch SetBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Toronto, OntarioA beautiful solid silver Pitcher and cups by Tapio Wirkkala for Kultakeskus, Oy. Created by a single craftsperson from start to finish.Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern PitchersMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala, Set of Silver Pitchers and Cups, 18 Pieces, Finland 1970sBy Kultakeskus Oy, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Houston, TXTapio Wirkkala. Set of silver pitchers and cups, 18 pieces. Kultakeskus Oy, Hämeenlinna, Finland. Marked with makers mark, Finnish assay mark, 925H, Hämeenlinna town mark, ye...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Glass Bowl Tapio WirkkalaBy Iittala, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Sagaponack, NYA beautifully executed vessel or ice bowl in the form of a drinking glass having an organic free-form base evocative of winter ice.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Barware
- 8 Ultima Thule Glasses Designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, RareBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Doraville, GAA set of 8 "highball" or "beer" glasses designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala. The glass pattern is called Ultima Thule. "The Iittala Ultima Thule...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern BarwareMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Freeform Molded Plywood Tray, 1950sBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in San Diego, CAFincraft molded plywood tray designed in the 1950s by Tapio Wirkkala for Soinne et Kni, Helsinki. Embossed stamp on the bottom. FinlandCategory
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern BarwareMaterials
- Scandinavian Modern Tapio Wirkkala Sterling Silver Dish Handmade Finland 1965By Tapio Wirkkala, Kultakeskus OyLocated in EL Waalre, NLTapio Wirkkala – A Sterling silver dish with teakwood handle, model TW85, Handmade to Order – Kultakeskus, Finland 1965 A Sterling silver leafshaped dish with teakwood handle, model...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver