Colorful Feathered Leather Bird Mask
View Similar Items
Want more images or videos?
Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 7
Colorful Feathered Leather Bird Mask
Inspired by Mardi Gras and Venetian masks. Vibrantly dyed blue and purple feathers crown this purple and yellow bird with a large orange dyed ostrich feather with a white tip to really stand out at any party or parade. This piece is wearable art, making it perfect for a masquerade, costume party, Halloween, or as a beautiful shelf or wall piece. The frame of the mask is also adjustable, so you may adjust it to the shape of your face. This mask is handmade with vegetable-tanned cow leather. For the best fit, please inquire about measurements. The pictured piece is in stock and can be remade with any customization. The strap is elastic and can be replaced based on measurements communicated to the maker for best fit. This style is rooted in Commedia Dell'Arté, a masked form of theatre rooted in Italy spanning the 1500s through the 1700s. This style inspired even Shakespeare's work and is best known for the famous character Arlecchino, who later became Harley Quinn with the image of the court jester. I am open to completely customized commissions. Please allow me to make your ideas a reality. Inquire within.
Customization OptionsElastic straps can be upgraded to leather with buckles.\nFeather colors can be just about anything.\n\nWant a custom mask? Inquire within.
- Creator:Majd Murad (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 18 in (45.72 cm)Depth: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2017
- Production Type:New & Custom(Limited Edition)
- Estimated Production Time:1-2 weeks
- Condition:One item currently in stock has been worn once in an independent film. For discounted price on that item, inquire within.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU302138644283
About the Maker
My name is Majd Murad, and I am the artist behind Arté Masks. The name comes from Commedia Dell'Arté, a masked style of theatre from Italy in the 1500s. My teachers taught me the method derived from the history of this theatre form, which comes mainly from historical text and some antique examples. Rather than focus on the classic characters from Commedia Dell'Arté, I have branched off to create my own expressive creatures. Some are dark, some are light, but all are unique, sturdy pieces with flexible wiring to adapt to the wearer. The pieces I create can be decorative for shelf, wall, or your own face as they are intended as wearables. Any piece in my gallery or featured in my store is 100% customizable. I can remake any piece to fit your fancy, or we can start a commission from scratch. I would love to design something just for you.
About the Seller
Located in Brooklyn, NY
No Reviews Yet
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
1stDibs seller since 2017
You May Also Like
- Carved Theatre MaskLocated in London, GBItem: Mid-20th century carved wooden theatre mask This item was discovered in France and would have originally been used in the early to mid-20th Centu...Category
Vintage 1940s European Folk Art MasksMaterials
- Yoruba Egungun Headdress MaskBy Yoruba PeopleLocated in Chicago, ILAttributed to the Yoruba people of western Nigeria, this wooden headdress was worn during a masquerade known as egungun. A widespread Yoruba ritual, egungun performances honor a comm...Category
Early 20th Century Nigerian Tribal MasksMaterials
- Mende Women's Helmet MaskLocated in Chicago, ILThis helmet mask created by the Mende people of Sierra Leone was made for the women of their tribe to wear while dancing. Commissioned by women for their ...Category
Mid-20th Century Sierra Leonean Tribal MasksMaterials
- Songye Style Female Dance MaskLocated in New York, NYA large, masterfully hand carved female dance mask (kifwebe) in the style of the Songye people of the Congo. This striking piece features a weathered surfac...Category
2010s Congolese Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Very Important “Nwantantay” African Dance MaskLocated in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo LeonVery important “Nwantamtay” dance African mask, consisting of three sections: The upper in plain rectangular shape surmounted by a crescent shape moon, the middle with beautiful geometric triangles in black bitumen and white kaolin, surrounding a red cruciform in the centre of remarkable contrasting colors, and the lower part or face inscribed in a circular space that inspired numbered great artists like Joan Miro, Picasso and Henry Moore of a very strongly solar symbolism, with a projecting protuberance emanating from the forehead like a sculpted bird beak, that descents toward the mouth. Concentric eyes harmonize with the circular mouth, both with of elegant proportions. The whole mask exudes a supreme harmony and perfect balance rarely seen in this pieces. The back-side presents nice ware that attested the ancient origin and traces of animistic ceremonies as the use of animal blood residues. The painting of brown bitumen or cola, the natural colorants in red and ocher tones and the white kaolin are original and do not show any repainted or restored areas, giving a freshness rarely seen in old pieces. This exceptional mask Bwa, of the Hound`e Region in Burkina-Fasso, was used it the transit ceremonies and funerals manifesting the presence of “Do”, name given to their God sons, protectors and powerful spirits. The round face also represents an owl, the curving beak of the bird plants a seed into the sun, like a female sexual vulva being fecundated by the male organ; the eternal symbol of Ying and Yang, masculine and feminine, and the quest of life and death. This mask of Primitive facture can be compared to the one in the celebrated Verite Collection (this one being larger) sold in Paris at the Hotel Drouot, Saturday June 17, Lot 59, for 80,000 Euros and remarkably stands out from the Pierre and Tannia Matisse sold in Sotheby’s, New York in May 13, 2011. Another similar piece was published in: “Arman et l’art africain...Category
Early 20th Century Burkinabe Primitive MasksMaterials
- Contemporary Folk Art Style Wood MaskLocated in Delray Beach, FLExceptional hand carved wood mask with graphic elements, made of a single piece of wood and was made for decorative purposes. Very intriguing and...Category
20th Century African MasksMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery