- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mid-Century Modern Bed by Paul Frankl
- CreatorPaul Frankl (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 32 in. (81.28 cm)Width: 56.5 in. (143.51 cm)Depth: 2.5 in. (6.35 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor scratches and dings.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: 3269-06905NS1stDibs: LU921813313782
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About Paul Frankl (Designer)
His “Skyscraper” cabinets, introduced in 1924, are Frankl’s earliest and best-known designs (and the work by which he is most often represented in institutions, such as New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art). Tall and narrow, the pieces have staggered shelves meant to mimic the setbacks of Manhattan office towers. A later visually expressive line — the “Speed” chairs and sofas, which have a raked profile suggesting motion — links Frankl to Donald Deskey, Raymond Loewy and other creators of “Streamlined Moderne” design.
Frankl moved to Los Angeles in 1934 and luxuriated in the climate and lifestyle. His designs became lighter and simpler and found an audience among the Hollywood élite. (Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Fred Astaire were clients.) Fascinated by Asian arts, Frankl produced numerous pieces — tabletops with edges that curve upward; sofas and chairs with rattan frames — inspired by Chinese and Japanese forms and materials. In the 1940s, Frankl became one of the first designers to incorporate free-form, biomorphic shapes in his work, as well as novel upholstery fabrics such as denim and nubby wool.
Frankl biographer Christopher Long argues that the designer’s easy, elegant aesthetic had an enormous influence on movie set design. As the furniture below attests, Paul Frankl’s work is ready for its close-up.
- By Paul Frankl, Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Brooklyn, NYThis vintage king-size headboard features the stylish Mid-Century design of Paul Frankl for Johnson furniture. T...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- By Paul FranklLocated in Brooklyn, NYQueen-size headboard in mahogany with brass corsets and accents by Paul Frankl for Johnson Furniture, circa 1940...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- By Paul McCobb, Winchendon Furniture (Planner Group)Located in Brooklyn, NYBeautiful pair of Mid-Century Modern nightstands with a vintage blonde maple finish. This stylish piece features...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- By R-Way Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis exquisite vintage modern bedroom set includes a highboy dresser, low dresser, mirror, and a pair of nightst...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Bedroom SetsMaterials
Brass$5,500 / set
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Night Stands
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
21st Century and Contemporary French Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames
21st Century and Contemporary European Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed F...
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery