Breathtaking Set of 4 Modern Floating Pagoda Club Chairs by Baker, circa 1980
About the Item
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 28.5 in (72.39 cm)Width: 31 in (78.74 cm)Depth: 35 in (88.9 cm)Seat Height: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1980
- Condition:Refinished. Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent Restored Condition. Meticulous complete professional restoration. Expert custom upholstery in a neutral Larsen fabric. Retains the Maker mark. Expert custom upholstery service available.
- Seller Location:Atlanta, GA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1152225062722
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Atlanta, GA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Breathtaking Set of 4 Modern Floating Pagoda Club Chairs by Baker, circa 1980By Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAThese magnificent lounge chairs are shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: completely installation ready. This rare set of four (4) seating examples is unique on the market. Expert custom upholstery service is available. Note: Also available are a match pair of loveseats and a pair of large three-seat sofas from this rare series. An absolutely jaw-dropping set of four (4) meticulously restored club chairs...Category
Vintage 1980s North American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Breathtaking Pair of Modern Floating Pagoda Club Chairs by Baker, circa 1980By Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAThese magnificent lounge chairs are shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: Meticulously professionally restored and installation ready. Expert custom upholstery service is available. NOTE: Also available are a match pair of loveseats and a pair of large three-seat sofas from this rare series. An absolutely jaw-dropping pair of meticulously restored club chairs...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Jaw-Dropping Restored Pair of Modern Club Chairs, circa 1980Located in Atlanta, GAThese magnificent lounge chairs are shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: Meticulously professionally restored and installation ready. Expert...Category
20th Century Unknown Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Sophisticated Restored Pair of Lounge Chairs by Baker Furniture, circa 1960By Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAAn absolutely jaw-dropping pair of meticulously restored lounge chairs from a boutique series produced by Baker Furniture, circa 1960. Extremely rare examples. Stout, expertly crafted ebonized solid mahogany construction. This elegant Asian influenced chair...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Sublime Pair of Sleek Modern Loungers by Baker, circa 1958 - 2 Pair AvailableBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAFantastic examples from a sophisticated low production lounge chair series by Baker Furniture, dated 1958. Sleek, beautifully crafted modern form with striking Mahogany back rail and foot detail executed in black lacquer. Extremely comfortable. From a time when the Lincoln Continental...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Stylish Restored Pair of Modern Barrel Lounge or Club Chairs, circa 1980Located in Atlanta, GAThese magnificent chairs are shipped as photographed and described: Completely Installation Ready. An exceptional pair of barrel lounge or club chairs, circa 1980. Expertly crafted...Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Modern Purple Plum Tone Tuxedo Style Club Chairs by Baker a PairBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Topeka, KSSplendid modern purple plum tone tuxedo style club chairs by Baker a pair. Comprised of loose back & seat cushions with polyester fill & feath...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Wood, Paint, Feathers
- Pair of Baker Club Chairs in Embroidered Saffron SilkBy Winsor White, Baker Furniture Company, William MillingtonLocated in Chicago, ILDesigned by Winsor White and William Millington for Baker's 1954 Continental collection, these armchairs are upholstered in a vintage yellow embroidered silk fabric...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Post Modern Club Chairs, 1980Located in Chicago, ILPostmodern club chairs, 1980. Original ultra suede.Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Winsor White & William Millington for Baker Continental Club ChairsBy Winsor White, Baker Furniture Company, William MillingtonLocated in Chicago, ILPair of barrel back club chairs designed by Winsor White and William Millington for Baker's 1954 continental collection. Older reupholster in magenta silk striped with tan and magent...Category
Vintage 1950s American Club ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Wood, Silk
- Finn Juhl Pair of Chieftain Chairs by BakerBy Baker Furniture Company, Finn JuhlLocated in Highland, INFinn Juhl's 1949 masterpiece, the chieftain chair, employs iconography of tribal forms and Juhl’s innovative approach to design which accentuates the separation of the seat, back, an...Category
Vintage 1940s American Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Floating Club Chairs in Boucle Fabric 1970sLocated in New York, NYChic pair of club chairs with recessed plinth bases in walnut. American, 1970's. These chairs have been reupholstered by Venfield in a light gray boucle fabric.Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Walnut, Fabric
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery