- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mid-Century Modern Pair of Florence Knoll Club Chairs
About the Item
- Creator:Florence Knoll (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29 in (73.66 cm)Width: 32.5 in (82.55 cm)Depth: 32 in (81.28 cm)Seat Height: 15 in (38.1 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1969
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading. New upholstery required, some loss to chrome finish.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: 13863-0498RKc1stDibs: LU92189593843
Architect, furniture designer, interior designer, entrepreneur — Florence Knoll had a subtle but profound influence on the course of mid-century American modernism. Dedicated to functionality and organization, and never flamboyant, Knoll shaped the ethos of the postwar business world with her polished, efficient design and skillfully realized office plans.
Knoll had perhaps the most thorough design education of any of her peers. Florence Schust was orphaned at age 12, and her guardian sent her to Kingswood, a girl’s boarding school that is part of the Cranbrook Educational Community in suburban Detroit. Her interest in design brought her to the attention of Eliel Saarinen, the Finnish architect and head of the Cranbrook Academy of Art. Saarinen and his wife took the talented child under their wing, and she became close to their son, the future architect Eero Saarinen. While a student at the academy, Florence befriended artist-designer Harry Bertoia and Charles and Ray Eames. Later, she studied under three of the Bauhaus masters who emigrated to the United States. She worked as an apprentice in the Boston architectural offices of Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe taught her at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
In 1941, she met Hans Knoll, whose eponymous furniture company was just getting off the ground. They married in 1946, and her design sense and his business skills soon made Knoll Inc. a leading firm in its field. Florence signed up the younger Saarinen as a designer, and would develop pieces by Bertoia, Mies and the artist Isamu Noguchi. Her main work came as head of the Knoll Planning Group, designing custom office interiors for clients such as IBM and CBS. The furniture Florence created for these spaces reflects her Bauhaus training: the pieces are pure functional design, exactingly built; their only ornament from the materials, such as wood and marble. Her innovations — the oval conference table, for example, conceived as a way to ensure clear sightlines among all seated at a meeting — were always in the service of practicality.
Since her retirement in 1965, Knoll received the National Medal of Arts, among other awards; in 2004 the Philadelphia Museum of Art mounted the exhibition “Florence Knoll: Defining Modern” — well deserved accolades for a strong, successful design and business pioneer. As demonstrated on these pages, the simplicity of Knoll’s furniture is her work’s great virtue: they fit into any interior design scheme.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Wall , NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis stunning pair of lounge chairs feature a heavy chrome frame and an overstuffed removable cushion. A sleek and comfortable design that is sure to complement any seating arrangeme...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Chrome$3,200 Sale Price / set28% Off
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Rolling Club Chairs by HenredonBy HenredonLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis striking pair of Mid-Century Modern club chairs feature rounded seat backs, eye-catching vintage fabric, and metal casters for easy rearrangement. This matching pair of Henredon...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
- Pair of Stylish Modern Club ChairsBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis unique pair of chrome and vinyl club chairs feature unique Mid-Century Modern style and comfortable proportions. Stylish angled seat backs, comfo...Category
Late 20th Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Chrome$3,400 / set
- Pair Vintage Modern Club ChairsLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis unique pair of mid-century modern lounge chairs features comfortable rounded seat backs, tapered black lacquer legs and uniquely modern sculpted design. Impressive pair of uphol...Category
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Upholstery$3,200 / set
- Round Mid-Century Club ChairLocated in Brooklyn, NYWhite vinyl club chair with thick cushioning. Clam style lounge chair. Please confirm location NJ or NY.Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Fabric$1,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Pair of Modern Club Chairs with X Frame BaseLocated in Brooklyn, NYMidcentury style and elegant simplicity make this matched pair of contemporary modern armchairs a striking addition to home or business seating. Features heavy flat-bar chrome chairs...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather$1,600 Sale Price20% Off
- Club Chair by Florence Knoll for KnollBy Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Sagaponack, NYEarly Florence Knoll designed, fully upholstered lounge chair with loose back and seat cushions. The arms have a subtle rearward rake wi...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Steel$9,500 / item
- Florence Knoll Midcentury Club Lounge ChairBy Florence KnollLocated in Countryside, ILFlorence Knoll midcentury Club Lounge chair This chair measures: 32 wide x 32 deep x 28 high, with a seat height of 16 and arm height/chair cleara...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Cube Club ChairsLocated in Wilmington, DEPair of Mid-Century Modern cube club chairs Offered is a pair of vintage modern cube club chairs. The chairs feature at cube design with fixed cushions( could be changed in reuphols...Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Original Mid-Century Modern Pair of Club ChairsLocated in North York, ONVintage original Mid-Century Modern pair of club chairs. Featuring sleek curved backs with curved legs recently upholstered in Maxwell – Bowery ESS #801 charcoal. Finished in a rich ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Club Chairs
- Italian Pair of Mid-Century Modern Upholstered Club ChairsLocated in Atlanta, GAAn Italian pair of chairs upholstered club chairs from the Mid-20th Century. These vintage arm chairs from Italy have a comfortably modern design with squared seats and backs, and fu...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Vintage Club Lounge ChairsLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis extraordinary pair of modern lounge chairs are in great condition and has been completely restored by our expert professional craftsman team in the house. This pair of club chairs feature an eye-catching cube design squared back and arms and has been newly upholstered in a green velvet color fabric this fabulous pair of vintage armchairs is comfortable and comes with a single five inches removable seat cushion with new foam and polyester inserts. The chairs sit on carved tapered legs newly painted in a white color finished with lacquer. This pair of vintage lounge chairs are the perfect piece for a sophisticated design inspiration ready to be used displayed...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Upholstery, Velvet, Lacquer, Foam, Wood, Paint
Recently ViewedView More
10 Trailblazing Female Designers
From pioneering visionaries to contemporary talents, get to know some of the most important women in design.
Remembering Design Visionary Florence Knoll Bassett (1917-2019)
A loving look back at the life and career of a doyenne of mid-century-modern style, who died last week at the age of 101.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery